2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
It looks like it's true and I'm kind of sad about it.

Sweetwater no longer has the CP5 in their on-line catalog. The CP4 obviously took it's place.

Kraft Music still show's it but they are obviously phasing out what's left in stock. Their closeout price has been reduced down to $1699 from $2599 and if I were to buy mine today from Kraft I could get a huge bundle package for the price I paid for CP5 alone 18 months ago.

I would never get a good trade-in price for it now. I don't know if the CP4 would even be worth the loss if I believed it to be an upgrade. Guess I'll have to try one out and see (hear). I'm still sad about it.

The CP1 however appears to still be the "Top Dog" in the CP line of stage pianos and it is still being sold at it's original price from both sources. I'm curious how long it will survive.

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Wow that CP5 + Quiklok WS-550 + bench + CP music rest + other stuff for $1749 is a screaming deal.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by xorbe
Wow that CP5 + Quiklok WS-550 + bench + CP music rest + other stuff for $1749 is a screaming deal.

Sure is and makes me angry now, considering what I paid for just the board alone. I had to get speakers and a stand for another $600 dollar investment, now I'm up to $3,200.

Screaming deal? You bet it is!

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Yah I got my CP5 for $1998 about 2 months ago, and my WS-550 from Amazon separately. I got JBL Control 1 Pros, but my Lepai LP2020A+ needs more wattage.

(Yeah, a $20 amp for a $2K dp, lol. That's me.)

S
S
I would keep your CP-5 before thinking about trading up. Play the CP-4 and see what you think. The actions are very different. The CP-4's action is heavier. I had the CP-5 for a week when hearing of the CP-4. I sent the CP-5 back and exchanged for a CP-4. I loved the CP-5 and had a difficult time sending it back not having played the CP-4. But time was not on my side. The return policy allowed me 30 days. My main reason for the exchange was the weight factor. I love the CP4. The AP's & EP's are fantastic. The interface is simple and quick. The action is great, but so is the action on the cp5, they're just different. Yamaha had to make changes to reduce weight, so they went from a metal chassis to a plastic chassis. The build quality is superb on both, but the CP5 is more robust. I guess what I'm trying to say is "don't be disappointed with your decision to purchase and own the cp5. There are many things that I like better about the 5.

B
B
I'd be very curious to know how the non-piano sounds compared...electric pianos, synths, strings etc.

I'm partial to a lighter action, but 55 pounds + bag/case for gigging...ouch.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I just played the CP4 again for the first time since I had that short sneak back in early August. The CP5 was right next to it and personally, if I were a home hobbyist/enthusiast like most here, the CP5 would be perfectly fine.

On the Cp4, the action is heavier, along with the lighter weight and newer CFX sample. While the new CFX sample is very good, through my AKG 240s, I kept going to the lighter sounding CF Grand , found on the CP5.

The CFX will definitely work better live with bass and drums as far as being more present and cutting through the mix better. But if you're playing solo at home, the CF still sounds warm and detailed (for an electric keyboard wink ), especially through good monitors or phones.

While I owned the CP5, I enjoyed blowing off steam at the end of an intense practice session playing along with that "modern jazz" drum track. That pattern swings better then anything I've ever heard in hardware.

The older CP5 NW action still feels very responsive and again in some ways, I prefer it to the newer CP4.

I think for a gigging player the CP4 is a no brainer, but for just home use, I'd be more then content with the CP5. I'd love to have one on a K&M Omega stand here in our office with the home computer, as I have no keyboard in the house. My Steinway is in a detached studio from our house.

Again, in no way do I feel it's a huge step down from the CP4.

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Thanks for the comparison report, Dave! My favorite is also CF on the CP5. Despite the dinosaur tech or whatever, it sings when playing, something I feel like I can't quite coax out of the 700NX. I watched the CP4 youtube video, but I had a hard time hearing the difference for CFX, I'm sure it's much more pronounced in person.

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks Speedy and Dave for your comments.

I couldn't sell my CP5. I'm too in love with it and like you said Dave, I'm not a "gigger", not anymore anyway. I use to be a long time ago and music for me now is just a hobby. I like that fact that it's heavy and has a metal chassis. It does fee robust, a "real feel" to it and solid as heck! I've gotten so use to the action. Loved it from the start, it's great and the CF sounds in headphones are just as great. The user interface was a bitch in the beginning but I've learned to use it. Why would I even think of it?

No, if I sold my CP5 for the CP4 or anything else right now for that matter I know I would regret it but that wasn't the point to my post anyway.

It's just so hard to accept and believe that the CP5 is being phased out of production. Just seems way too soon for such a great board to become no longer available.

Who knows! It may become a sought after classic someday.

Last edited by RUSS SHETTLE; 10/11/13 02:19 AM.

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
S
S
Yea, I don't think Yamaha will be building anymore professional stage pianos at the level of the CP-5. If I had the $$$ I would buy one for the home.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
D
^^^ That seems like quite the deal for someone in the UK, or elsewhere in Europe, for that matter.

Yamaha CP33 | Roland XP-30
S
S
I can understand the discount. The more I play the CP-4 the better it gets. This thing is awesome...

S
S
One thing to add: I've been playing a Motif XS-8 for five years. I sold it recently to purchase the CP-4. The black keys on the CP-4 are much sharper on the edges. This takes some getting used to. I didn't notice that on the CP-5.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Well, all stage piano's and workstations are currently at a discount at a shop in my town (only today, for one day). Example:

CP4 € 1839,= incl Tax
CP5 € 1463,= incl Tax
MOXF8 € 1379,= incl Tax (which I think is incredible , considering what you get in terms of sounds and functions. Pitty the keybed is so..so (how bad is GHS actually?)

V-Piano Grand (V-Grand); € 9199,= (why mention it ; current prices are hoovering between € 17000 ~ 19000, so that's a lot off the price for anyone interested ! Are they being dumped by Roland currently ?

CP's are very tempting ! CP5 seems a bargain now. Only thing is the CP4 seems to top it in every aspect except classy looks and build quality (CP5 is more like a tank). Wonder if there is anything better soundwise in the CP5 than the CP4 ? Is the AP SCM piano in the CP1/5 still better than the non SCM in CP4 , despite the addition of the CFX sample ? Anyone knows ?

Last edited by JFP; 10/15/13 05:05 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission