2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
I was wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts about the newer designed Shigeru Kawai pianos vs. the older models? At least for the SK2, SK3 and SK5 models, I believe they are all now 2cm longer which is due to longer keys (or perhaps a bigger action?)

It might be a long shot, and many of you probably haven't had the chance to make any direct comparisons between these pianos. So I'm also interested in general opinions about key length. Does a longer key really give that much more tonal control that it's worth waiting to get one of the newer models?

There are still a few of the older models around in showrooms, and I have yet to play one of the newer SK3s, which is the size that would most likely be appropriate for me.

Thanks in advance for all comments.

Z
Z
New Shigeru has longer keys. That's why they are longer for about 2 cm. SK-2 is 180 cm (older was 178), SK-3 is 188 (older was 186)

Longer keys are better. Better leverage, better control overall - especially when playing softly. Easier to tame.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I played on 2 olders vs. 1 newer in London. The newer action feels a little diiferent. But just a little. The older ones were greatly reduced in price. The piano shop was trying to move them out to make room for the new ones.

Not long after trying them I found out about Estonia Pianos w/factory in Tallin. Prices and shipping even w/VAT are astoundingly low. With enough advance notice it's cheaper to fly to Tallin from the UK than it is take a train to London.

Had I not found the Steingraeber I ended up with and if the UK Border Agency were faster in getting my passport back to me I would have visited the Estonia factory, for sure. .. I'm guessing you're closer to Tallin than London...

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Pogmoger,

First of all, I'm not a tech and I speak as a pianist with a fairly good understanding of the mechanics and geometry of a piano action.

When asking about key length, you must consider that the visible portion of the keys, the keyboard, is only part of the consideration. The differences occur when considering the length of the key sticks, the entire key. As overall grand piano length increases, the key length generally increases and the extra length provides room for different, and more responsive, action geometries. In simple terms, it is the difference in action (feel) between a 5'-8" piano compared to a concert grand of the same brand.

Having now had the chance to compare the new Kawai GX to the previous RX, I notice a distinct improvement in the smaller grands with their new approach with the action geometry. I don't know if the change is occurring in the SK pianos as well.

I have always considered the SK action design to be more responsive than the Kawai RX series. Now they are very similar in response with the introduction of the GX line. I can only speculate if the improvement of the GX is a design based on the existing SK?

If there is a change in the SK instruments, the longer key length could result in a more responsive piano. It would be interesting to confirm that this is really the case, rather than it being confused with the recent changes in the Kawai (RX-GX) line.

Calling KawaiDon !!!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
P
OP Offline
P
Hi Mark,

I also played an older SK3 in London a few weeks ago. The only newer Shigeru they had in the store was an SK2. I found it difficult to compare the different actions, as I definitely preferred the SK3 overall because of it's stronger bass and richer tone. The price was, as you say, greatly reduced and if I still lived in the UK, I probably would have bought it already!

I also know of an older SK3 that a dealer in Norway has, and I assume that I would get it for a better price than if I wanted a newer model. But in terms of getting the best instrument rather than just the lowest possible price, it's tempting to consider a newer model instead. But I don't know...:)

Others have suggested that I should travel to Estonia, but I would rather support a local dealer and buy a piano in Oslo. I've tried various brands which aren't available here on visits to London and Edinburgh, including Grotrian, Steingraeber and Bluthner, with the view that if I found something truly spectacular then I might go to the trouble of importing a piano myself. I find it odd that there isn't a single dealer in the UK that stocks Estonia.

At the moment, I've narrowed down my choice to C.Bechstein, Bosendorfer or Shigeru, all of which I can buy locally with good after purchase service.

P
OP Offline
P
Hi Marty,

Thanks again for an informative response. If you have noticed a discernible difference between the RX and GX actions then this is definitely worth considering, as I think the changes to the latest Shigerus are probably similar to the improvements made to the GX line.

I've just looked in Piano Buyer and there is some detailed information about the changes made to the Shigeru designs:

'In 2012, Kawai updated the Shigeru Kawai grands, changing the cabinet styling and some of the pianos' construction features. The inside of the rim is now finished with bird's-eye maple veneer, and the round legs have been changed to straight legs with brass trim. The rim itself is now made of alternating layers of rock maple and mahogany, which Kawai says provides more power without losing warmth in the tone. The structure at the front of the piano has been made stronger, and the beams underneath are now made from spruce instead of the laminated mahogany Kawai uses in its other models. The keys have been lengthened for a better touch, especially on the smaller models.'

My question is how much these changes really affect tonal control and enjoyment of playing the instrument and if it's worth spending a bit more money on a newer model. It seems that it probably is worth going for a newer model if I decide to get a Shigeru.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
If the changes to the SK are as significant to the result of the action upgrade of the RX to GX, the increase in price may well be worth it.

I have always enjoyed the Shigerus.

Marty in Minnesota

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi Pogmoger,

I hear you, exactly .... in the end my piano was a local purchase.

My guess is we played the exact same piano(s) in London. With the Estonia because of no dealer here they would've delivered to my front door. Then I'd have to have a local mover bring it in the house and set it up.

It sounds like your local situation between SK, Bechstein and Bosendorfer has the "one" in there somewhere ...

Best of luck with the search!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I also had the chance to play an RX and GX Kawai side-by-side (you'll read my review soon in the Piano Buyer) and did notice something of a difference. However, I also sampled an "old style" Shigeru next to an RX series Kawai at a good dealer a few years ago and thought the Shigeru action in the "old" version was very responsive and a step up.

If you love the sound and feel of the piano, and it's a good deal, I wouldn't second guess the version.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
L
LFL Offline
L
I played a 2000 SK5 side by side a 2012 (new concert series model) during my piano search last year. I cannot say that there was much difference in the feel of the action with the longer keys. There is some adjustment to be made, in the subconscious part of the brain, I suspect. However, as Minnesota Marty said, one would expect the difference in key length and how it affects the action, to be more noticeable in the smaller models. The SK5 is an "in-between" length. I do not believe the key length affects the sound when comparing the two either, as so much of "sound" can be affected by voicing, etc. I bought the 2012 late last year and have had my MPA visit. I DO believe that the newer rim construction (and perhaps the spruce beams) has improved the sound in terms of sustain and resonance. I believe that Kawai states that the new rim gives a more "powerful" sound, but I translate to a richer sound. I also would mention that the SK5, SK6, and SK7 models all have boxwood in the bridge, while the smaller models do not. This is supposedly a heavier (?denser) wood and may have more to do with any difference in sound than anything else. All this said, I agree with Terminaldegree--get the piano that pleases you, and worry less about old vs. new.

Shigeru Kawai SK5L
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
For European potential Shigeru buyers it is worth mentioning again that now with the new models the visit of the MPA is included - as it has been for many years in the U.S.; with the 'older' models this was/is not the case.

For some (?many) this might be a nice extra feature too summed up to the other improvements like extra key length, different rim construction etc.

schwammerl.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I always thought that to provide the MPA visit in one major market but not in another seemed lopsided. Now that anomaly has been addressed, at least for the European market. According to a number of testimonies on this website, the MPA visit refines an already extraordinary piano to create a sublimely beautiful musical instrument.

Robert.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks to everyone for the additional comments.

Terminaldegree and LFL, I understand what you both are saying about not worrying about 'old' vs 'new' too much as long as I find an instrument which I love the sound and touch of. Perhaps I've exaggerated how much this concerns me, as I have no doubts that an 'old design' SK is still going to be a world class piano. But I was interested in hearing from anyone who had had the chance to make a direct comparison of two models of the same size, old vs new. LFL, it seems that you had this opportunity and the new SK impressed you enough that the extra cost was worth it. Thanks for mentioning the other differing design features.

I'm definitely leaning towards taking up the offer I've been given of a trip to Kawai in Germany to select a new piano, which would then be purchased through my local dealer (MPA visit presumably included!)

I might still go for something entirely different, though...

L
LFL Offline
L
If you can take the time to go to Kawai in Germany, I would jump at that chance. (And I didn't know that the MPA visits had started in Europe--that was a significant factor in my decision to get a new one.) Even if you don't end up purchasing a Kawai or Shigeru, the experience will help you with other comparisons. Your ability to distinguish differences between pianos will sharpen as you play and listen to as many pianos as you can. You certainly have many choices since you live in Europe. The Shigeru line is probably the best buy for the money amongst the top tier pianos, but that is just one factor. And, the difference in cost between a few-year-old Shigeru and a new one is probably around US$8-15,000 (depending on the model); while the difference between a Shigeru of any age and Bosendorfer/Bechstein/etc is likely much more. If you find a "used" (but relatively contemporary) piano, you may need to factor in some short-term maintenance costs (for example new strings, dampers, etc after "x" number of years). These comments are from my experience, but I have only purchased 2 pianos in my life; others on this forum have much more experience. This decision making is not simple, but you must make sure that you don't have regrets later.

Shigeru Kawai SK5L
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks LFL. We certainly have a lot of top piano factories to choose from in Europe and travelling to them is relatively easy and inexpensive. But the second hand piano market in Norway is pretty small, so I've pretty much ruled out finding a lightly used top quality grand here.

Sizing up Shigeru against top tier European pianos is tricky. As you say, the Shigeru offers best value for its price, but this is not the only factor. I like Shigerus a lot, so to be convinced to buy a European top tier instrument for up to twice the price, I'd have to really really love it. After quite an extensive search, I feel that only Bosendorfer and C. Bechstein are distinctly exciting enough to make me consider them as alternatives - but it's so much more money! eek

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Try as many different Shigeru Kawai pianos as you can in Germany. After the meticulous manufacturing process of each of these instruments, and provided they have been set up for the showroom, they will all have a special, particular character. You need to find the one that you love.

Good luck!

Robert.

Z
Z
Originally Posted by pogmoger

But I was interested in hearing from anyone who had had the chance to make a direct comparison of two models of the same size, old vs new.

I will tell my observations in one week. It is very difficult to find old SK vs. new SK (same model) side by side….. but I will have a chance to compare (same model).

Next week….

Z
Z
Originally Posted by schwammerl
For European potential Shigeru buyers it is worth mentioning again that now with the new models the visit of the MPA is included - as it has been for many years in the U.S.; with the 'older' models this was/is not the case.
schwammerl.

Is that true?

I was spoken to a dealer in EU and he didn’t think so. One of you two is wrong, I hope the dealer is wrong and you are right. Maybe only some country in EU but I hardly believe that whole EU has MPA visit. I am not saying that you are wrong (actually it would be awesome if MPA is included, this would be also important factor for me) but...I just somehow have doubts that all EU has this benefit.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Why not contact Kawai directly and simply ask?

http://www.kawai.de/

Marty in Minnesota

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Is that true?

Please visit the new European Shigeru website they set up after the launch of the new series Shigerus; here you have the MPA statement in German (you can go the the home page and select German, English and French)):

Shigeru Kawai Europe - MPA

schwammerl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission