2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Here's another perspective, FSO.

I actually like you (as far as I can tell), and I really do think you have something to say. But just as you say you're unable to edit your posts so that they're readable, I'm unable to read them as they are. I'm sorry about that, but it's the way it is. My eyesight is such that I need clarity, otherwise I simply can't read it. If Piano World were only available in white-on-black, for example, I would have left long ago.

Du holde Kunst...
I
I
And yet another perspective, FSO:

I'd like to think that I've already secured for myself the role of your prime apologist, even before the pedants started raining down blows upon the grammar of your ground, the sweet arable soil of your smilies, and the delightful UM-pah-pah's of your speech. For my own part, I skim the conventional posts of those whose writing style is like the plainest white of the picketest fence, a sort of literary suburbia whose children trade E.B. White cards, "need it, got it, got it, need it."

Change not a thing, I say! Tread forth boldly in your native trot! In a world plenty stingy, do stay sui generis.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Ian_G

thumb And a damn good one, at that!

FSO, I'm afraid my response will be far more prosaic than your "prime apologist", Ian's. To state the obvious, only you can decide how to communicate on this forum, and that will depend on what you seek from it. A few of the more veteran members have already made their feelings known, so you simply need to decide if their critique has merit, and whether, or how much, it matters that your words may sometimes be ignored.

Speaking for myself, I like it all. When I see a play or a movie, I don't want a Greek chorus. I want a rich cast of characters, the quirkier the better. And what makes this forum interesting is not just the variety of ideas, but the variety of backgrounds, perspectives, passions, pet peeves, temperaments, writing styles, etc. If each of us begins conforming to the desires of our fellow members, we'll edge closer and closer to that Greek chorus, or, as Ian so elegantly puts it, "the plainest white of the picketest fence".

It's bad enough to be shackled by others, but far worse to shackle one's self. And a shackled FSO just won't do. grin

E
E
The comparison to a concert pianist performing with the score to an actor in a play reading the script is not a relevant comparison, it is two completely different traditions and art forms and each has its own set of rules.

Last edited by E. Christensen; 10/04/13 11:36 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ian_G

I'd like to think that I've already secured for myself the role of your prime apologist, even before the pedants started raining down blows upon the grammar of your ground, the sweet arable soil of your smilies, and the delightful UM-pah-pah's of your speech. For my own part, I skim the conventional posts of those whose writing style is like the plainest white of the picketest fence, a sort of literary suburbia whose children trade E.B. White cards, "need it, got it, got it, need it."

Change not a thing, I say! Tread forth boldly in your native trot! In a world plenty stingy, do stay sui generis.

I suppose I shall take the position of FSO's sub-prime apologist, then, and as such, Ian, and Old Man, I agree. And, the flip of it is, I find the constant griping about how "inconsiderate" is FSO's style, to be, well, inconsiderate. Harrumpff. My heart usually leaps with joy through FSO's locutions, and they make my synapses spark and buzz, too! grin "Plus one" with Ian's sentiment, FSO: do stay mui generous.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
And, the flip of it is, I find the constant griping about how "inconsiderate" is FSO's style, to be, well, inconsiderate.
I don't think there's "constant griping" any more - have you noticed this was an Old Thread?

Du holde Kunst...
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
And, the flip of it is, I find the constant griping about how "inconsiderate" is FSO's style, to be, well, inconsiderate.
I don't think there's "constant griping" any more - have you noticed this was an Old Thread?

Oop! Doh!!! [*headslap*] No, currawong, actually. I Did Not. It seemed So Fresh!!! crazy

Still. I stand by what I wrote (as recently as this morning!). grin I am glad that the constant griping has stopped. thumb

I have other thoughts about reading from the score, too. (I am working on the Handel Keyboard Suite in D min., as well, and followed the links to the whole suite of the Richter performance! And, just like Richter, I perform from the score! Well, I don't mean "just like Richter." I'm going to play it better, just as soon as I learn that darned fugue.) Do you want to know my thoughts about that? (Reading from the score, I mean...)

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Back to the original topic on this Old-But-Revived Thread :

I am performing in a collaborative recital with a colleague of mine tomorrow and again on Tuesday. She will be playing some of her repertoire from the score - if not all of it. For my part, I will be playing all of my repertoire in these two performances using the score.

We'll see if the audience has any reaction to - or comments on - this performance "discrepancy."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
FSO :

For what it may - or may not - be worth to you, when I see a post filled with smileys, dots, ums, etc., all contained in one unbroken paragraph, I won't read it.

I agree.. I just can't.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Back to the original topic on this Old-But-Revived Thread

I always find it entertaining when this happens. The thread appears suddenly at the top of the list and everyone starts responding to the posts - in this instance from nine months ago - as if they were inked in last several hours!

I, too, almost did this here wink

I am glad that FSO did not abandon her informal and articulate method of disseminating her observations which often are both astute and deep.

M.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

I don't feel that it's up to me to try to decipher and interpret the essence of an unconstructed string of ideas. It well may be that I miss some interesting observations, and that may perhaps be my loss

This interests me as many on this forum spend months deciphering Beethoven and the like on the mere whim it might bring interesting observations and many all over the world spend just as long deciphering Keats, Byron and Wordsworth. And yet some won't spend five minutes reading through a comment posted by someone on an internet forum despite the fact it could bring great insights. odd...

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by TheHappyMoron

I don't feel that it's up to me to try to decipher and interpret the essence of an unconstructed string of ideas. It well may be that I miss some interesting observations, and that may perhaps be my loss

This interests me as many on this forum spend months deciphering Beethoven and the like on the mere whim it might bring interesting observations and many all over the world spend just as long deciphering Keats, Byron and Wordsworth. And yet some won't spend five minutes reading through a comment posted by someone on an internet forum despite the fact it could bring great insights. odd...

I don't think your comparison holds any weight!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by TheHappyMoron

I don't think your comparison holds any weight!

grin worth a thought though!

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission