2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 317 of 341 1 2 315 316 317 318 319 340 341
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I'm excited about doing #1 as well. It sounds really pretty and was the one mentioned in Mark's blog.

Here is the thread
Chorales for CATS

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Awesome playing, knotty. I enjoyed the solo and really loved how in sync your comping was with everyone else's playing.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
Track from Monday night.
Nice solo, knotty, very nice. A suggestion: lay off (or play less) in the LH during your first chorus, I really liked your lines and sometimes I felt the LH got in the way. But your lines have gotten much better, they are clearer.

Last edited by chrisbell; 09/26/13 03:24 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by The Wind
hey guys, any advice for playing with singers?
Yeah, be very clear on the harmonies of the song, know the melody (and preferably also the lyrics), if the chord is a maj7 and the melody note is the root, don't play a maj7 voicing but a 6/9, dont play the melody as an intro, if you feel an inexorable need to play a lick or whatever to fill in the "empty" spaces do make sure its within the style, genre and melodic content of the song. As to comp in the high or low range I say it depends on how you voice the chords. The job of the accompanist is to make the singer sound and look good. So if they skip a bar or two or start off on a bum note, come to their aid and make it right.

I've accompanied many a singer; pros and semi-pros alike, so its a bit strange to be on the other side. Yes, that's right, I've started taking singing lessons and I already have a first gig lined up (apparently I'll be singing both a standard or two as well as a Schubert leider) in December. Which scares me sxxtless as of now, but I have confidence in my teacher (an excellent jazz and classical singer with many years of experience) and she apparently has faith in me (ha ha, little does she know . . ) So now I really have to learn the melodies and lyrics . . . ah well do be do be do be doo

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by chrisbell

I'll be singing both a standard or two as well as a Schubert leider

Hey ! Your style is so diverse !
It must be difficult to know whether to practise your piano, bass or vocals.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C

Thanks for sharing your fun solo. In particular I liked:
1. how you continued seamlessly from the horn's solo using his theme.
2. how you developed your solo throughout. You had a story, and you told it as though you meant it.
3. your phrase shapes, especially the one where you started descending chromatically across the changes then ascended into the changes using wider intervals.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by custard apple

I'll be singing both a standard or two as well as a Schubert leider

Hey ! Your style is so diverse !
It must be difficult to know whether to practise your piano, bass or vocals.
Thanks. Have no worries. The bass has been on a back-burner since Xmas, for several reasons. So I've been focusing on my pianistics. The voice, well, it was a weak-willed moment of saying yes, why not I can be your test pupil (after 30+ years of singing professionally, my soon-to-become-a-teacher decided to get a vocal coach degree and needed a male subject for her final exams) . . and then it struck me: holy larynx Batman, what have I agreed too?!
But I enjoy the challenge, and its great for the piano playing; singing forces me to slow down and really listen.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks guys for the detailed feedback.
Chris, that is solid advice from you right there. Overall, I could have used more space on that solo.
Cus, thanks for picking up on those details. Esp. 1). That's something I try to do every time. It's kind of fun and gives you an idea as to where to start. Contrary to what one might think, it is much easier to do with a solid player than a weaker player. Weaker players tend to play a lot of stuff and it's hard to parse. Stronger player will often end with something easy to grab and recognize.
Bob, same as Cus, thanks for picking up on it. Also something easier to do with better players :-)

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Great sound Knots. Your articulation has improved greatly. It's outstanding. Really good solo.

That Bass player though is distracting me with his time. He's causing the groove to falter.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks JW. That's very nice to say. I find it much easier to play the acoustic than the digital piano, so that helps a lot.

It's funny you mention about the bass player. He is actually one of the guys that I play with who makes it easy for me. I don't have to work hard, things swing a lot easier. And he says the same about me, so we end up getting along. Though we don't often play together, but I always look forward to it.

I have a whole bunch more tracks, my buddy is trying to mix them better than I did. Might come out slightly better. It's all the zoom, which I thought made the piano sound pretty decent.

T
T
I just got back from Seattle, going to Keith Jarrett's show last night. Still on cloud nine. Man I was floored. Beautiful music and a great vibe, he didn't say anything snarky to the audience. They played 4(!!) encores, the crowd loved it.

Here's the tunes he played that I recognized: Blame it on my Youth, Fever, Answer me my love, God Bless the Child, When I fall in Love... lots more stuff. One tune I never heard before, In Your Own Sweet Way.

Funny I look it up and it's a Dave Brubeck song. I will have to learn that one.

The piano wasn't miked up too loud, I was in the 15th row and had a somewhat hard time hearing the piano. I can't imagine those 30 rows back or up in the higher balconies (there were 3 tiers, quite the setup).

Thankfully in the second set they turned it up slightly.

I can check off seeing one of my favourite pianists live now, maybe the only thing that could top it is going to a solo show. But he's playing only 4 shows in the USA this year so I'm thankful I could even see him.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Sounds like a great set list.
So you watched the trio ?
How were Gary and Jack ?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Why the Progress You Make in the Practice Room Seems to Disappear Overnight.
Good article about learning music.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for posting this Chris. I love this kind of stuff.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
that explains why I actually have been able to learn things despite collison course with sage piano advice

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Why the Progress You Make in the Practice Room Seems to Disappear Overnight.
Good article about learning music.

Chris, really nice link w/advice that can go right to work right now!. Thanks for posting!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah, its a good read.

So I've been busy for months, working my proverbial ass of, transferring hand-written scores into Finale - then creating the parts, proofreading, making suggestions, making changes (please repeat x amount) and then rehearsing the material together with the composer.
6 new pieces for big band (54 minutes total), commissioned by one of the great European big bands (Bohuslän Big band - this is a full time working big band, subsidised by private and governmental means).
The music was great (well still is), the band is stupendous (amazing readers), they swing like a mutha!
I'll post a tune or two once the video is edited and the rights are sorted out.
But here's a clip from a sound-check, Monica Dominique (the composer) is at the piano, singing (the song "Hey, John" written by Blossom Dearie, here with Swedish lyrics) together with three of Sweden's great on their respective instruments. This is swinging melodic piano playing.

Ps: she's old enough to be a grand-mother to some of you. Swing, groove and love and music knows no age limits.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Great stuff Chris. That must be so much fun. I'm looking forward to the big band. Grant is coming over in a few minutes. I'll say hi for you.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Haven't been around. Jury duty, etc... But just wanted to share this. Just saw it today. For whatever reason, I couldn't stop playing it over and over.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

Page 317 of 341 1 2 315 316 317 318 319 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission