2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
My school just acquired a Chickering 9 foot grand piano. It's a beautiful instrument, but we don't know a lot about it. It's hard to determine the serial number. I'm hoping someone here can help.

The number 96-96 is handwritten numerous times. The number 1038 is also stamped into the wood at various places. When we removed the keyboard, what looked like "Serial #15127" was underneath. I read on another post that Chickering would sometimes remove the leading 1 from the serial. If this is #115127, that puts it around 1910, which seems reasonable. Our piano is almost identical to this instrument, dated 1907- http://www.antiquepianoshop.com/product/173/chickering-ebony-parlor-grand-piano/

Here's a gallery of pics I took of our instrument: http://imgur.com/a/WkrO2

I can take more pics if it would be helpful.

Does anyone have any insight into what we have?

Thanks!
Travis

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Often 9' grands were numbered in a different series from other pianos by the same maker. Your piano was probably worked on. The original serial number may have been obscured.

The serial number means less than the condition of the piano now. The date from the serial number is only approximate, and depends on when the number is assigned to the piano. If you want a date, there may be one under the hammer rail, which is something that it usually takes a tech to find at more cost than it is worth.

Semipro Tech
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
From the Pierce Piano Atlas:

"The 9' Concert Grand Pianos had their own serial numbers, piano #15327 was built about 1925."

So, BDB is right.

From your photos, it looks like the action stack has had new parts installed. I would really be interested in seeing more photos of the piano.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by jtravisp

I can take more pics if it would be helpful.

Does anyone have any insight into what we have

Hi Travis, welcome to the forum!

A Chickering concert grand. Excellent! Condition is everything on an older piano of course. But realise that the potential of the instrument is second to nothing.

Do you happen to know how your school acquired the instrument?

Yes, we'd like to see more pictures.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
J
OP Offline
J
We acquired the instrument from a professional pianist from Houston (it was the 3rd grand in his house). He'll be playing a concert at my school (I'm the band director) in December.

From the moving stickers that are still on the instrument, it spent the 90's in Los Angeles.

I'll take some more pics and post soon.

J
OP Offline
J
Another gallery of pictures of the piano: http://imgur.com/a/Xgp30

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
From the case style and the serial number, I'd put it at around 1925.

It's a beaut.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
R
R
You have a Chickering 131 which is the third iteration of the scale 131, there being one subsequent. Morphological characteristics of the plate, the legs, the lyre, along with the serial number, if 15127 is correct, indicate the piano was built about 1914. These are great pianos, certainly among the best sounding, if not the best, which they may be, ever built. However they can suffer from various aspects of time and play related deterioration which can be substantial and which then greatly displays the return bridge related transition problems. Still, overall, a wonderful piano. Regards, Robin Hufford, RPT

J
OP Offline
J
Good eye, R Hufford. Upon closer inspection of the soundboard, there is in fact a "131" that I missed before. Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by R Hufford, RPT
You have a Chickering 131 which is the third iteration of the scale 131, there being one subsequent. Morphological characteristics of the plate, the legs, the lyre, along with the serial number, if 15127 is correct, indicate the piano was built about 1914. These are great pianos, certainly among the best sounding, if not the best, which they may be, ever built. However they can suffer from various aspects of time and play related deterioration which can be substantial and which then greatly displays the return bridge related transition problems. Still, overall, a wonderful piano. Regards, Robin Hufford, RPT

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for the pics. It looks great, and it looks like it has been well cared for.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
Thanks for posting the pictures. I really like that emblem on the plate--that's beautiful.
If you ever pull the action, I hope you might be able to post some additional pictures of that, please.
What a beautiful piano!

Regards,
Steve Schutte
Cincinnati
1979 6'7 Kimball Grand
1902 6' Hazelton Bros. Grand (project piano)

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission