Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
107 registered members (Almaviva, ajames, Alexander Borro, ambrozy, Amedeus, 26 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1772559 - 10/17/11 10:01 PM Why do pianists like cats so much?  
Frito Offline
Frito  Offline

Eastern US
Most pianists I know have cats. But why? They have such an uneven temperment. And they will jump on the piano, maybe get inside the piano, and surely get their fur all over the piano, inside and out.

But a dog obediently sits next to you and admiringly looks up to you. You can flub the piece completely, but the dog will still look at you and listen intently as though you were Horowitz playing. The cat would simply look at you briefly in disgust, maybe hiss briefly, then walk away and sulk or hide.

So why cats? confused

Last edited by Frito; 10/17/11 10:02 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1772801 - 10/18/11 09:49 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member
rada  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

pagosa springs,co
I think it's because cats are independent and so is a pianist in the sense that as a soloist the pianist works alone.

rada

btw...my cats are not allowed on my pianos...

#1776263 - 10/24/11 12:35 PM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
Jose Hidalgo Offline
Jose Hidalgo  Offline

I don't know why, but I play piano and have cats....
but... I could also have dogs, I just don't have dogs because the space they need.

#1777433 - 10/26/11 09:35 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Jose Hidalgo]  
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Studio Joe  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Decatur, Texas
I am a pianist and don't have a cat. Never have. I don't hate cats, just don't want them around.

I have a hound dog named Bubba. He likes to lie at my feet when I play.

Bubba don't like cats. When a stray cat comes around he chases it away.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
#1806385 - 12/15/11 12:50 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
msirukandjisting Offline
msirukandjisting  Offline

Australia
Ohhhhh cats rock

All my four girls are pianists and allll looooovvvveeeee cats - like me... mine sleeps, my cat that is, 23 hours a day - easy as

Cats are individuals - want you when they want you and exclude you when they don't

Dogs are like babies and toddlers - constantly need to be reassessed for barking, poos in the yard lol and you can't just go away for days and leave a dog like you can a cat

Individuals I think....

Just to add, often, pianists are referred to as being introverted - they play for themselves, they are not in a group, they practice when suits them etc etc - cats are often associated with introverts... just a thought

Last edited by msirukandjisting; 12/15/11 01:19 AM.

Love my piano - love me!!! - I'm not a person without my piano...orrrr.... You never know what you can do till you have a go...
#1849425 - 02/22/12 12:30 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
chelle218 Offline
chelle218  Offline

NH
Agreed with the cats are introverted comment!
Also I'm seriously convinced that my cats appreciate piano playing. They definitely don't sulk! They almost always sit in the room with me while I'm practicing. Sometimes they try to climb in my lap, which can become a problem, haha.

#1868368 - 03/25/12 05:19 PM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
dontfeedthebears Offline
dontfeedthebears  Offline

Well I certainly don't have any cats. And I don't really plan to anytime soon, either. Are you saying that all pianists are introverted? Because that's really not true at all for me. Sure, I practice by myself for and hour and a half or more each day, but that means I have 22 and a half to go be an extrovert.
Besides, I love it when my dogs come in and listen to me play. Until they start barking at the person walking outside.

Currently working on (not just messing around with)

Bach Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Book I
Mozart Fantasie and Sonata in c minor
Chopin's Revolutionary Etude, Op. 10 No. 12
Liszt's Paraphrase on Rigoletto (sort of)
Prelude of Debussy's Pour le Piano
#1884636 - 04/22/12 09:05 PM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
Marzeline Offline
Marzeline  Offline

Poland
because piano is like a lion and since it is enough to have in home one lion they just take miniature LOOOOOOOOOL because lions can only get on those of their kin

#1888457 - 04/29/12 02:48 PM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
HighheeledPianist Offline
HighheeledPianist  Offline

New York, USA
I have both cats and dogs, but I am definitely more of a cat person. I agree with the introvert comment, considering I am a totally introverted pianist. I love when my cats will sit down next to me on the bench and follow my fingers with their eyes! But then they kind of get in the way... (^..^)

#1897983 - 05/16/12 11:40 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
Balls of Fire Offline
Balls of Fire  Offline

I've often wondered this as well. There was an old lady in our neighborhood growing up that had a piano.....and about 17 cats. We called her the old scary cat lady. Those darned cats were always having kittens and crapping in my dads work boots. He hated them. Lol

On a side note, her house always smelled just like Dad's boots.....yuck!

#1898088 - 05/16/12 03:04 PM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
Dirty Waffles Offline
Dirty Waffles  Offline

I love when my cat lays on piano while I play. His tail swings almost as if he is setting the tempo for me.

#1898099 - 05/16/12 03:20 PM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
Fingered Offline
Fingered  Offline

removed

Last edited by Piano World; 05/16/12 04:01 PM.
#1898107 - 05/16/12 03:29 PM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Fingered]  
Dirty Waffles Offline
Dirty Waffles  Offline

Removed uncalled for quote

wow

Last edited by Piano World; 05/16/12 04:02 PM.
#1937681 - 08/05/12 10:30 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
goldenevening Offline
goldenevening  Offline

United States
Very interesting thread. I kind of laughed at the comment above saying that pianists like cats because both are introverted. What a generalization! I consider myself to be an introvert and I have three dogs. I prefer dogs to cats because they strive to return the love and attention you give them, more so than cats in my experience. It is such a joy to come home after a quick errand and see all three dogs genuinely excited to see me again.
However, interestingly enough, two out of my three former teachers had two cats. The other had a dog. Maybe the OP does have a point...

We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late.
#1937682 - 08/05/12 10:31 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
goldenevening Offline
goldenevening  Offline

United States
Very interesting thread. I kind of laughed at the comment above saying that pianists like cats because both are introverted. What a generalization! I consider myself to be an introvert and I have three dogs. I prefer dogs to cats because they strive to return the love and attention you give them, more so than cats in my experience. It is such a joy to come home after a quick errand and see all three dogs genuinely excited to see me again.
However, interestingly enough, two out of my three former teachers had two cats. The other had a dog. Maybe the OP does have a point...

We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late.
#1939707 - 08/09/12 03:08 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
allegro_concerto Offline
allegro_concerto  Offline

I got neither cats or dogs, but I always wondered how they would react when you play the piano...

#1941029 - 08/11/12 07:03 PM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
9symphony9 Offline
9symphony9  Offline

Long Island, New York
I like cats also. But I play on my Yamaha EZ-200 keyboard.

#1976557 - 10/21/12 12:17 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
tonedefreegan Offline
tonedefreegan  Offline

I loathe cats. That is to say, wild cats - big and small - are glorious, but domestic cats about attractive a housepet as a goldfish. actually less. I quite like fishies.

Dog lover - and bad pianist. The other pianist who live here are all dog lovers and cat loathers, too. But fear not, we also discriminate when it comes to actual dog breeds. no ornamental fluffy yappers here. Just sensible, utilitarian working dogs.

#2052255 - 03/22/13 02:07 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
gsmonks Offline
500 Post Club Member
gsmonks  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Saskatchewan, Canada
Franz Scherbit loved kitties, and drew them in ink on his compositions.

I have three cats and only one pie-anna.

Kitten on the keys was probably written by a cat lover.

#2085067 - 05/19/13 05:03 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
Immortal Beloved Offline
Immortal Beloved  Offline

Cats > people.

R.I.P. Beethoven
#2131151 - 08/11/13 08:30 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
rnaple  Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Rocky Mountains
It's the same way with recording studios. Most of them have cats. Many have dogs. I think it is more of an animal lover in music.
I have cats because they are easy to take care of. An apartment isn't great for a dog. I love animals. I am nuts about dog's. Wasn't nuts about cats until one I recently got. She is very interactive. She talks to me. She's an absolute sweetheart.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
#2160821 - 10/02/13 10:33 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
Steve Warner Offline
Steve Warner  Offline

New York, New York
I play the piano and I have cats. Therefore all piano players have cats. My logic is flawless. I am also a mathematician - my specialty is mathematical logic. So what I just said must be correct.

#2245976 - 03/13/14 12:57 PM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
joonsang Offline
joonsang  Offline

This is the first time i've heard of pianists liking cats being common, but it is certainly true for me! I love cats so much. You can stare at their little perfectly framed faces for hours and laugh at the IDGAF look they always seem to have. And their personality shines in that they don't offer their "warmth" all the time or as easily as other animals.

#2246071 - 03/13/14 04:33 PM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
Hrodulf Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hrodulf  Offline
500 Post Club Member

New York City
I love cats but we can't have one because I'm allergic.

[Linked Image]
#2249293 - 03/20/14 05:05 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
compianist1 Offline
compianist1  Offline

Banned
YOU SAY THAT MOST PIANISTS HAVE CATS? WHATEVER I DON'T CARE BUT I AGREE

#2649820 - 06/02/17 11:05 PM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
Rosewood17 Offline
Silver Subscriber
Rosewood17  Offline
Silver Subscriber

United States
I never liked cats until I had one of my own, and now I have two. One especially seems to enjoy and appreciate music, but they both will come to the room where I am playing (one likes to be on the bench with me). The exception is when I play Hanon exercises, which makes one of my cats run away. >^..^<

Roland LX-7
Started lessons in April, 2017
In progress: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 2 | Les Petits Images, Late Elementary Level (Jennifer Linn) | Fundamentals of Piano Theory - Level 1 | Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises
#2649937 - 06/03/17 10:21 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Steve Warner]  
Rosewood17 Offline
Silver Subscriber
Rosewood17  Offline
Silver Subscriber

United States
Originally Posted by Steve Warner
I play the piano and I have cats. Therefore all piano players have cats. My logic is flawless. I am also a mathematician - my specialty is mathematical logic. So what I just said must be correct.

LOL!

Roland LX-7
Started lessons in April, 2017
In progress: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 2 | Les Petits Images, Late Elementary Level (Jennifer Linn) | Fundamentals of Piano Theory - Level 1 | Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises
#2651273 - 06/06/17 05:33 PM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
PerAspera Offline
PerAspera  Offline

Washington, DC
I am a working dog person myself, and we always had (and have) dogs. We finally got a cat this year and guess what, I started piano lessons! It must've happened because of some cat magic and I had no idea smile My teacher also has a lovely cat named after a composer smile

🎼 Learning piano since May 2017
#2655978 - 06/24/17 04:14 AM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
Rowy van Hest Offline
Rowy van Hest  Offline

The Netherlands
All cats fit on a piano, and there's still room for a glass of beer, plus you don't lose your view. A Great Dane is less suitable. Besides, try lifting a Great Dane or a St. Bernhard. That could ruin your back.

Free music scores for piano at an intermediate level: http://composer.rowy.net/sheet-music-for-piano.html
#2679120 - 10/01/17 06:00 PM Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? [Re: Frito]  
sara elizabeth Offline
sara elizabeth  Offline

It's simple, really. Cats are awesome. Piano is awesome. Smart people like cats and piano. This is why they go together!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tonal and Rhytmic Principles by John Mehegan
by James in NoVa. 11/24/17 01:12 PM
HiFiMAN HE-400i headphones - Incredible deal
by Max_Forte. 11/24/17 12:29 PM
Getting difficult pieces up to tempo
by noamb. 11/24/17 12:21 PM
Lounge Lizard EP-4 for $89
by Beakybird. 11/24/17 11:28 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,923
Posts2,673,997
Members89,179
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission