2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Animisha, admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,175 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2160569 10/01/13 06:24 PM
peterws Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
a DP without having played it (purely on recommendations or YouTube vids, since none were accessible) and found it was nothing like what you expected?

Nah then. Did you get to like it eventually??

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Yes. I purchased the Casio AP620 based on hype I had read around the internet.

Bad idea. After I had taken it out of the packaging and put it together, there was no practical way to return it.

So, I had to sell it at a significant loss.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I bought both my Yamaha NP11 and Casio PX150 without having tried them. I did try an older PX130 before I bought the Casio. Sometimes people over think what isn't that big a difference. Yes, there are differences, but I believe that a person can adapt to most of the current offerings from the major brands. My decision to go with the Casio, over the equivalent Yamaha came down to almost a coin flip.

I also play flute and whistle. I have two flutes and maybe eight whistles. There are differences, and favorites, but if stuck with one particular instrument I could work with it. The physical differences in those instruments, such as material (wood, plastic, delrin, aluminum), hole size, tend to be much greater than what I see as modest differences in some digital pianos.

Now that I have some modest time on piano (19 months), if I were to upgrade again at a higher price level, I might have a better idea of what I might like and not like. As a beginner, I was open, and felt I could adapt to any of the entry level models.

M
M
I bought my Roland FP7F sight unseen. It's good enough for me since I can barely play. I am, however, disappointed in a few of the features and the quantity and quality of the piano sounds. I wish now I had waited and looked at Kawai.

Medeli SP4200
Korg Maxi-Korg
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I bought my Kawai MP8 sight unseen to replace a Yamaha P80. I later decided that I liked the sound of the P80 better. The action is better on the MP8, though, and that's what matters.

It would have been real nice to have been able to shop around and know what I was getting, but it wasn't an option at the time. Worked out ok, I guess. Though in some ways that P80 was a nice, nice machine. I guess that's why I recommend the P155 so frequently.

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I bought the VPC1 sight unseen. It didn't look like I would ever get access to a floor model (and I doubt I every will around here at least).

I have no regrets. It has exceeded my expectations and use it pretty much every day.

(StarvingLion - this is your cue to pipe in)

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I bought the Casio PX-330 sight unseen, based on a glowing review in Keyboard magazine, and how much I had liked a couple of earlier Casios. I was terribly disappointed in both the sound and the action, and quickly returned it. But the PX-5S is much better.

M
M
I bought Kawai CL35 sight unseen (five years ago I believe) because I did not like Privias nor Rolands, the only brands I'd been able to test. I did so based on what I had read mainly on this forum and the fact that here in Argentina, the most prestigious piano store is a Kawai dealer (I was between Kawai and Yamaha).
I found it very good, I found it better than other DP I had played.
The only thing I can criticize is that keys are too short , specially noticeable on black keys, and the repetition, poorer than an AP's.
P.S. After reading other posts now I understand why is so easy to play pp on this DP: it doesn't have "let off"
(excuse my bad English)

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
T
T
Crap, based on a couple of comments, here, I have to surmise that the previous generation Casio's were not up to snuff. However, with that said, the next logical conclusion is they made some incredibly radical advancement and improvement in their new PX-X50 series.

I say this, because I have quite some experience with acoustic grand pianos...and the PX-850 is pretty damn remarkable (IMHO) at twice the price, but especially at $1000.

So, I guess there are three possible scenarios:

A) My personal standards for a more than reasonable and acceptable DP solution are quite different than others (always a possibility, I concede)

B) Casio made a major advancement in technical, mechanical and quality improvements between their PX-X30 and new PX-X50 series.

C) People still harbor some unexplained and unwarranted bias against Casio digital pianos. Not saying that is necessarily the case with anyone here in this thread/topic...but there it is.

...and no, I am not implying that the Casio PX-X50 series is at quite the same level as Kawai's VPC-1 or CA65/95. Nevertheless...as an engineer (with a physics and mathematics background), I have a built-in soft spot for elegantly designed consumer electronics (including musical products) that perform above and beyond expectations, given their target market/price point.

For me, it is a greater accomplishment to develop, produce and deliver a product that performs well above and beyond what would be normally "expected" in it's price/market category, than for an alternative manufacturer to improve upon a product that is already in a price/market niche that they are "expected" to perform within.

Again, just my humble opinion.

With that said...I would probably have chosen the Kawai VPC-1, and spent the additional money...if it had a built-in sound engine. But, I am more than happy with my Casio PX-850. In other words, I had the funds to spend another $1000-1500, but I just couldn't justify it after playing the PX-850. And again, I am coming directly from owning
(for 13 years) a Yamaha GA-1.

<< puts on protective flame suit >>

Last edited by Tritium; 10/02/13 12:37 AM.
S
S
Originally Posted by Vid
I bought the VPC1 sight unseen. It didn't look like I would ever get access to a floor model (and I doubt I every will around here at least).

I have no regrets. It has exceeded my expectations and use it pretty much every day.

(StarvingLion - this is your cue to pipe in)

Apparently, the VPC1 has fizzled. Nobody cares anymore about the VPC1. Software pianos are a fad.

Its either the P-105/155 or the Roland V-Piano (stage version only). The stuff inbetween is not worth the bother.

Admit it already.

Last edited by StarvingLion; 10/02/13 03:06 AM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
No, but I have sought out specific models and play tested them in stores after reading reviews or advice on forums such as these. Most of the time the review or advice raises expectations that are not matched in the flesh. A bit like (blind, or internet) dating!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I simply upgrade to the latest Yamaha stage piano usually without playing it.

As soon as a new Yamaha stage piano is announced I start working on trying to sell my current stage piano so I can get the best price.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
No, but I have sought out specific models and play tested them in stores after reading reviews or advice on forums such as these. Most of the time the review or advice raises expectations that are not matched in the flesh. A bit like (blind, or internet) dating!

I wonder if they need setting up carefully before you play; I look at loads and they all sound crap on the "default". You press the "Reverb" button and precious little happens . . .yet on Youtube, don`t they all sound tremendous? And a lot do when they get recorded . . .they`re not always the latest models either.

I was seriously considering ordering the Roland DP90. I listened to the "Polished Ebony" version and it was great. But the non-polished one? Only personal recordings, and it wasn`t a good experience. . .

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I bought a Roland FP7 and at the time I was going back and forth between it and an FP4. I ending up with 7 and dragged it heavy butt for over 2 years. I finally got tire of weight, but I developed a disdain for the way it bottomed out. I then briefly went to a Casio Privia 320. The weight was great but the action, although felt great at home, didn't translate to a live performance. I sold that only after 2 months.

I ended up buying a barely played, used FP4 and it's been love ever since. I wish my practical side kicked in when I first decided on buying.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Peter, you are a one, getting us typing our fingers to the bone with all these fresh topics of yours!

I bought the VPC1 sight unseen. Bar 'letoff' which I didn't spot mentioned - maybe because most aren’t trying to play ppp - I found the feedback from existing users was fairly faithful to the reality and a good enough guide as to what to expect.

A slightly heavier action was already flagged but I couldn’t quantify that from the feedback - I don't think you ever can and there's more to it than weight. I’d prefer the merest fraction lighter but I might get used to it. For most playing it really isn’t an issue. I love the way it bottoms out. Lovely bottom.

Will I like the letoff eventually? Possibly but I’m no longer worried about it. Thanks to joflah’s excellent adventure, I can get rid of it if needs be.

It’s a fine keyboard and I think it marks a watershed. It’s not a steal but for what it is I think it’s good value.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by StarvingLion
Apparently, the VPC1 has fizzled. Nobody cares anymore about the VPC1.

Agreed, the VPC1 isn't a mass market seller.

But were not all clients of the mass market.

Software pianos are a fad.

Really? You should play, listen to and compare my K15 upright with the VPC1/vintage D + monitors which sit adjacent to it.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W

grin Lol

B
B
Originally Posted by Marco M

grin Lol

When I set out to buy my DP three years ago, I went about it the old-fashioned way (I'm an old-fashioned sort of guy.... wink ) - no searching on the internet (not difficult, as I didn't own a computer until this year), no checking up on the DP's parents, her schooling, qualifications, her ex- etc (not difficult, as I'd never played a DP before), certainly no blind-dating (not difficult, as I'm not blind).

So, it was all down to touch and feel and responsiveness........ grin

If music be the food of love, play on!
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
And were you seduced by her dulcet tones? (and dusky complexion)

Last edited by peterws; 10/02/13 09:52 AM.

"[Linked Image]"
B
B
Originally Posted by peterws
And were you seduced by her dulcet tones? (and dusky complexion)

I was.

I call her Black Beauty wink .

If music be the food of love, play on!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission