2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi everybody, I know this is a difficult question to answer: The most advanced piece that I am learning now is Chopin's Ballade Op 23. Some other pieces I have played before are Beethoven's Op 10 No 2, Op 26 and Op 90, Chopin's Op 48 No 1, Op 10 No 12 and Op 10 No 5, among other things. Some pieces that I really dream of playing but I feel I am not ready to play yet are Beethoven's Appasionata and late sonatas, and Chopin's Op 52 and some of his harder etudes, like Op 25 No 11. My question is, based on my current repertoire, how many years away from those pieces would I probably be, if I develop in a normal rate? 1 year ago, the hardest piece I could play was Chopin's Op 10 No 3 and Beethoven's Op 26, and now I am learning Chopin's first ballade, just to show you all how much I have developed the last year smile

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Your indications are not particularly helpful in providing a possible answer to your question. Indeed, I think that the question is nearly impossible to answer, although many might make wild guesses at a response.

First, we don't know how much time and effort has gone into the works that you have studied and, even more importantly, we have no idea how well you can play them, whether passably or to professional standards. One person's idea of "playing" a work can be at a very far remove from another person's idea of "playing" a work; person A may think that you have learned the work well while person B may think that you have much, much more work to do.

I would not worry about trying to get estimates on "how many years away" you are from the works you aspire to play; I would concentrate more on what repertoire you can currently work on successfully and let the future take care of itself as you progress.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
P
Chopin's 1st Ballade is quite a step up, honestly. I love it so much smile But if you can execute it well, op. 25 11 is not that far off. The main struggle with the étude is endurance, but I don't think it's even close to the hardest étude. Good luck!

Everyday is a great day.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Also, don't necessarily assume that your current rate of progress will remain the same as you tackle harder and harder repertoire.

J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Well let's just say, hypothetically, that I play the Ballade and all the other pieces I mentioned quite well without any mistakes and tensions, but I still feel that I am not ready for the Appassionata and Winter Wind Etude for example, then would it be a reasonable goal to strive towards being able to play those pieces well without mistakes and tensions, within one or two years?

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Jorleyy
Well let's just say, hypothetically, that I play the Ballade and all the other pieces I mentioned quite well without any mistakes and tensions, but I still feel that I am not ready for the Appassionata and Winter Wind Etude for example, then would it be a reasonable goal to strive towards being able to play those pieces well without mistakes and tensions, within one or two years?

Why are you so determined to have others - who don't know you - set a time line for you? When you are ready for the work you will know it. Until then, keep practicing!

I really don't believe that there is a "hypothetical" consideration as there are just too many variables.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission