2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
ksv22 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I am looking to buy a used piano. I have checked a dealer, but have recently found a couple from individuals. One is a Yamaha M306, about 25 years old. The seller says she is the original owner and paid $6000 for it new. I haven't taken a piano tech. to look at it with me yet, but the serial number did check out on Yamaha's website. They are asking $1100. I also found a Baldwin Acrosonic Upright that is 32 years old and the seller is asking $1200.

I've heard these are good brands, but don't know about these models. Are either of these worth pursuing further and if so are these prices where they should be? I took lessons as a child and want a piano to learn to play again and just enjoy and for my young children to take lessons and learn. Our budget is not huge, but we want something that will serve this purpose. If the children are really interested, we can upgrade later. Thank you for any help. It is hard to buy something I know nothing about.

J
J
Your total cost of ownership of a used piano is your purchase price + any additional cost to fix problems. Only a good tech can provide you the second portion of your TCO via a thorough inspection.

K
ksv22 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I know I need someone who knows what they are looking at to see it. I would like to have it mostly narrowed down though, so that I don't have to get a tech to go with me multiple times. Thanks for the reply.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
As much as I like Baldwin, I'd lean toward the Yamaha for the same money (more or less). It is always good to have a tech check things out if much money is involved, but, chances are, there is not likely to be any major problems with either piano.

I say play both and decide with one you like the best, and then decide whether or not you want to hire a tech to inspect it for you.

Good luck and keep us infromed.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
With used pianos of any significant age, condition is the big factor. Whichever piano is in better condition is likely the one you want. If you have real strong brand loyalty (for a particular sound) that could also sway the decision, but it sounds like you don't.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hmmm....$6000 for a Yamaha M in 1988? They sell for less than that now. Or maybe what she meant was if you bought it new today, paid MSRP and gave the dealer a fat tip you might pay that.

The M line is Yamaha's most entry level piano.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/uprightpianos/

A brand new Yamaha upright starts around $3000 for their new Indonesian made B's to the about $6000 for a Japanese made U1. I think the b1 is still better than the M.

Assuming the pianos are in great shape, the prices don't seem ridiculous, but nothing special, but I would see what else pops up on the market and hold out for something a bit nicer, something at least 48", and/or newer.

And don't count out those Yamaha Hybrid pianos. Those are pretty sweet.

K
ksv22 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks everyone for the information. The Yamaha was sold, but we went to see the Baldwin. It appears to be in really good condition, as best we could tell. They are the original owners and have kept it in the same spot, and seem to have cared for it. We haven't decided, but may get a tech to look at it. A lot come up on craigslist each week though, so we just haven't decided. Going to look made me really eager to go ahead and get one though. : ) I can't wait to finally decide and get one moved.

N
N
One of the biggest issues with older Baldwin uprights are Bass bridges that have become loose and moved or curled. even cracked. A lot of people overlook that part if the piano sounds good. Always remove the lower door and check it.

As with any type of piano shopping do not let others brand loyalty steer you away from your budget in regards to what everyone else likes. It's your money so look for something you like that goes with your décor.

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation
Originally Posted by Nash. Piano Rescue
As with any type of piano shopping do not let others brand loyalty steer you away from your budget in regards to what everyone else likes. It's your money so look for something you like that goes with your décor.

Great advice! smile

And, there seems to be a lot of brand-loyalty here on PW. Of course, there is nothing wrong with that either.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
K
ksv22 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I was talking to a dealer yesterday, and he said in my price range that brand was a lot less important that the quality of the individual piano. Of course, he was also trying to steer me away from buying from an individual and to his showroom. The warranty and tuning he was offering does have value.

One thing my untrained ear notice with the Acrosonic Baldwin was that it sounded good, but for lack of a better description, it didn't have the "umpf" I was accustomed to hearing. I don't know what the piano term for that is. The one I grew up playing was a big, old upright, so I guess I am comparing the sound with that. Is that just the difference in a bigger piano and a smaller one?

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission