2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
Circa 1790 Albrecht Square grand piano. Case in good shape. Has all keys. Dampers not attached but in possession.Hand stop functional. Would you try to make this beautiful antique functional? Or would you leave it alone? Also-would any of you have an idea as to approximate value?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hi, and welcome to Piano World!

I’ve seen old square grands for sale pretty cheap (or free). I admit that they are beautiful, but, as for me, I would not want one in my home. They are a relic of days gone by and a part of piano history; but me personally, I want a piano as modern and as good an instrument as I can get.

Also, for what it would cost to have it completely, and properly, restored, you could buy a very nice modern piano, or a restored vintage instrument.

Hey, you asked what I would do, and that is about it… smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Albrecht pianos are among the earliest ones made in the USA. Some date before independence.

Conservation and preservation would be advised if you can afford it.

Can you post pictures with serial number showing?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Are you interested in it as a working musical instrument or a historical piece?

If the former is the case, no, I would never attempt to pour money into restoring a square piano.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I wouldn't dump money into a square grand if the goal is a musical instrument.

If the goal is historical interest, then it's a different story.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
I believe this piano predates what we commonly associate with "square grand." I agree with Ed; this piano almost certainly has historical significance and probably ought to be preserved.

Here's a photo of a 1790 Albrecht square I found on line: [Linked Image]

It would be a museum piece.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Is it a true piano or a clavichord?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The historical record of early keyboard making in the new world does not have any records of clavichords or harpsichords being made there. Only pianos.

Unless I missed something in my studies.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks all. I have looked everywhere and I'm unable to find a serial number. I think I can figure out how to upload pictures.will try on home computer as mobile seems not to work.So then who does this type of restoration? Kate

K
OP Offline
K
I do love this piece but am debating its future in our family.
Unable to find serial numbers - is that odd? Here is a picture - think I have this figured out.

Attached Images
Albrecht.jpg
K
OP Offline
K
ok. I don't have it figured out. Sorry - no pics today.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Is it similar in appearance to the one I posted?

I think for a 1790-vintage piano, there may well be no serial number.

If you don't want to keep it, I'm certain any number of music-related museums would be interested in it.

N
N
It would probably be a really short number as in 2 -3 digits. I have an 1806 Stodart & Dubois which has a 3 digit SN. It too has a beautiful cabinet with quite a bit of gold leaf and a really odd base. It's a great conversation piece but does not play. We too decided to keep it original as they are only that way once.

Museums love to trade so if you go that route and have something they want maybe they have something you might like .

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
This is completely different from the sort of "square grand" to which Rickster was referring. This might better be described as a square fortepiano. I love these instruments - the sound is delicate, they have a very light touch and would suit Mozart admirably. And they are extremely elegant as pieces of furniture. I understand that it may not be too difficult to restore this type of instrument, but you will want to be historically sensitive and you will need guidance.

"Friends of Square Pianos" is based in the UK, but you will find their web site very informative:

http://www.friendsofsquarepianos.co.uk/

Despite the distance, I am sure that you would find David Hackett very helpful. In the US, a person who is very knowledgeable about this type of instrument is Tom Strange, "Square Piano Tech". His web site is

http://www.squarepianotech.com/

I suggest that you contact him, I am sure that he would be pleased to give you advice.

You have a lovely instrument Kati, you should try to restore it.

Last edited by David-G; 09/30/13 07:15 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If it is really from 1790, it should never be restored. It should be be conserved. Too many vintage and historical pianos have been ruined by restoration by well-meaning individuals. Fewer and fewer remain in original condition for viewing and study.

If someone wants to play period music on a forte piano from around 1800, the way to go is to get a replica. These are commonly found in universities and music academies. There are numerous makers who specialize in replicating period keyboard instruments and early pianos.

JG
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Supply
If it is really from 1790, it should never be restored. It should be be conserved. Too many vintage and historical pianos have been ruined by restoration by well-meaning individuals. Fewer and fewer remain in original condition for viewing and study.

If someone wants to play period music on a forte piano from around 1800, the way to go is to get a replica. These are commonly found in universities and music academies. There are numerous makers who specialize in replicating period keyboard instruments and early pianos.

Amen, Jurgen!

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Supply

I agree with OT - beautifully said.

I am in Philadelphia (where Albrecht built) and I have seen several of these and at least one is on display in our local museums. What is the exact name of the piano? Does it say "Albrecht", "Charles Albrecht", "Albrecht & Co.", or something else?

This would give us some clue as to its age. A picture would be grand also.

He was also a retailer and sold a variety of early pianos and perhaps harpsichords. These could have a secondary label of "Albrecht" since he was the seller. I am throwing that in there in case there is another name on it.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Kate, as to the value of this piece, an appraisal by someone qualified to give an opinion would be the way to go (and would be much more affordable than launching into a restoration or conservation project). You don't mention your location, but an easy way to begin might be by sending letters (stating provenance as far as you are able, and including photographs of the instrument, inside and out) to museums, or to universities with departments which publish on historic keyboard instruments. For example, the Smithsonian, Yale, University of Indiana, Oxford--- there will be many more which don't come to mind immediately. Maybe some of the more prominent conservatories.

As to Ed McMorrow's observation, "...The historical record of early keyboard making in the new world does not have any records of clavichords or harpsichords being made there. Only pianos..." It is, no doubt, true, yet curious. One would think the clavichord would have been just the thing for musical people to drag West, or around the Horn. But, no. We hear of the piano, the pump organ, the fiddle, the harmonica. Even the guitar gets scant mention, and the lighter brass and reed instruments even less.

Anyway, best of luck with your researches.

Clef

G
G
Agree with Supply! You want to leave this thing unmolested

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission