2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,292 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2158498 09/27/13 09:30 AM
P
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
I'm curious whether some of you have had home repairs or renovations going on while teaching, and how you coped (or didn't cope).

Right now I have two guys working on the roof right outside my piano studio, and another fellow adjacent on the other side redoing my bathroom floor and tiling walls.

All this work was supposed to be completed two weeks ago, and I should have started up my season by now, but I've had to push back to next week. Everybody assures me they will be done either today or tomorrow. We'll see. They're all getting close, and they all know I run a piano studio.

They're also all good guys, and these are necessary projects. I'm not angry, and delays are always part of contracting. But I don't think I could be teaching while this is all going on. Quite an intrusion and upheaval, and sometimes noisy.

So, any war stories on this topic? Anybody on this board actually carry on teaching during home renovations? How long did it last? Did you go crazy? Would you ever do it again?

Curious Peter

P.S. I won't lose income, since I'll just teach later into June, but it's not a great start to my season.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
I'm curious whether some of you have had home repairs or renovations going on while teaching, and how you coped (or didn't cope).

Right now I have two guys working on the roof right outside my piano studio, and another fellow adjacent on the other side redoing my bathroom floor and tiling walls.

All this work was supposed to be completed two weeks ago, and I should have started up my season by now, but I've had to push back to next week. Everybody assures me they will be done either today or tomorrow. We'll see. They're all getting close, and they all know I run a piano studio.

They're also all good guys, and these are necessary projects. I'm not angry, and delays are always part of contracting. But I don't think I could be teaching while this is all going on. Quite an intrusion and upheaval, and sometimes noisy.

So, any war stories on this topic? Anybody on this board actually carry on teaching during home renovations? How long did it last? Did you go crazy? Would you ever do it again?

Curious Peter

P.S. I won't lose income, since I'll just teach later into June, but it's not a great start to my season.

Personally, I'd start scheduling lessons for next week, explaining that the work may still be going on and apologizing in advance for the disturbances. I think most people are understanding and once they come and hear how it will be, they can tune most of it out.

I've not had lessons while work was being done on my house, but I have had it where it was being done on a neighbor's house. Not much you can do about it, and laugh and move on. If need be, you may have to wait until a really loud noise passes to continue what you're saying, but I think in general it shouldn't be awful. Just a minor inconvenience, and they know it's temporary.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I would tell students, and their parents if necessary, that the noise and distraction is good training for playing w/focus under less than perfect circumstances, something that occurs to pianists from time to time.

ps...I have had to tell students and parents that from time to time because of unexpected noise.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I'll be so glad when my renovations actually start - I've been waiting so long, with extraneous stuff all packed up (where did I pack that item which I now realise I want??) and piles of boxes everywhere. I'm prepared to enjoy apologising for the noise of the work itself rather than apologising for the present state of the bathroom, lack of space due to storage etc. laugh

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My daughter took violin in a house undergoing some renovations. She was young enough (and lessons were short enough) that I sat in. The teacher may have been mildly bothered by the noise, but we were not. I recollect that the teacher was also teaching one of the contractor's kids in exchange for the work, and when the work was done, that kid discontinued-possibly to everyone's satisfaction.

Good luck.
Remodeling and renovating are horrible!

Learner
P
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
The roofing contractor and carpenters finally finished up their project earlier today, while the quiet Scotsman should be finished laying a new bathroom floor in another hour.

I've folded up the sheets covering my piano, and am ready to play it again.

Enjoy the process, currawong!

M
M
We just painted the guest bedroom, so now that means we can hopefully start on the guest bathroom - we have boxes everywhere for the new cabinets in there and the new toilet. Quite unsightly for when the occasional student comes here. They don't seem to mind it though. I think many people have their homes in some sort of upheaval - whether from kids toys or weekend warriors. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by malkin
But it's so worth it when it's finished. I still go around stroking my kitchen benches even though they were done a year ago. The novelty hasn't worn off. smile

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by malkin
But it's so worth it when it's finished. I still go around stroking my kitchen benches even though they were done a year ago. The novelty hasn't worn off. smile

*sigh* Much of ours remains to be finished and some redone because the guy that did it was a complete hack. And he came recommended by my mother!

Learner

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission