2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, 9 invisible), 1,173 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2156164 09/23/13 12:51 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
hey, folks. After about 7 years, my old Yamaha DGX-620 is retiring. Its LCD visor was at its last breath anyway, though the action was still ok, at least as far as a GHS goes.

Now got myself a Casio Privia PX-850 and I'm much too happy.

Besides the upgrade in sound engine and features like damper and string resonance, I also got a much more solid keyboard action. Among the things that it really brings to the realm of possibility are trills. gosh, I thought I was really lame playing Bach and was surprised to realize it was really the GHS at fault.

a quick picture. perhaps I'll bring a performance on it soon...

[Linked Image]

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Now that is interesting! I`ve had the 620, and now have the 630. If as you say, the action is so much better (despite key length being similar in GHS and Casio) then I really need to do more research. . . .a 30 mile trip to Blackpool is coming up! (they sell `em all there lol) . . .I`ve been having trouble wi trills on GHS, GH3, RH3, AH17, . . .I`ve lost count . .

Last edited by peterws; 09/23/13 01:11 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Looking good. Congrats!

Did you shop around when you were looking to buy it? Any impressions of its competitors and reasons why you selected this model? We're always interested in reviews around here because it's pretty hard/costly to get to retailers of all the different brands and models.

peterws #2156182 09/23/13 01:21 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by peterws
Now that is interesting! I`ve had the 620, and now have the 630. If as you say, the action is so much better (despite key length being similar in GHS and Casio) then I really need to do more research. . . .a 30 mile trip to Blackpool is coming up! (they sell `em all there lol) . . .I`ve been having trouble wi trills on GHS, GH3, RH3, AH17, . . .I`ve lost count . .

really, dude? even on GH3?

have you considered that perhaps you're a lousy trill player? joking smile

I think it's worth a trip, but I'm not sure it'd best a GH3. if such, the better...

Later tonight I see if I can record a head-to-head comparison between the two. I just received it and had to hurry to my job...

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
gvfarns #2156194 09/23/13 01:40 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by gvfarns
Looking good. Congrats!

Did you shop around when you were looking to buy it? Any impressions of its competitors and reasons why you selected this model? We're always interested in reviews around here because it's pretty hard/costly to get to retailers of all the different brands and models.

yes, I've done some research both here, YouTube and at stores.

keep in mind I'm Brazilian and DPs are pretty damn expensive. It offered me the best cost-effective solution. I've played better action at the store, but that Roland was downright pricey. I paid R$ 3660 on it, which gives about $ 1850 dollars or something.

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
"have you considered that perhaps you're a lousy trill player? joking smile"

Dontcha just love it when the truth comes out . . . . frown

"[Linked Image]"
Online Content
Congrats!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Great, thanks for sharing the pic too!!

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
peterws #2156351 09/23/13 06:18 PM
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P

Rule of thumb: always blame it on the piano.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
ok, had a more extensive go with the piano tonight. I actually got to the store and bought it on Saturday, but unfortunately delivery was to happen just on Monday, so I lost a perfectly fine and free weekend just playing GTAV instead of Bach (which was kind of an acceptable deal btw)

Still had not the time to make any recording in these busy days (not that my lousy playing would help much) but in so far as action and sound, it's quite a step up from the dgx, no doubt. I made some lame fun on our friend about trills, but I too am a lousy trill player. In any case, the faster response and resistance of the action made wonders and my trills now sound a lot more acceptable and effortless.

There's also this thing about wideness between the black keys: they seem further apart than on the dgx and that is a godsend to me. How many times my large fingers got stuck between those keys and made them sound together with the one I wanted... this is another nice surprise feature I didn't see coming.

Regarding sound, I play many times at night, so it's usually with headphones, but when I get to play at daytime, it's a blast. There's some powerful metallic resonators that make it truly alive. I enjoyed the sampled piano tones, specially concert and classic, and there's some room for customization via a few parameters. The best of these has got nothing to do with tone customization though: I most certainly need touch sensitivity set to 1 so my playing don't sound mute for the most part (possibly bad practice from the light ghs). I wonder if 3 is designed for The Hulk...

Yeah, I heard the "plinking" of the sampled attack. Doesn't bother me, sounds a bit more pop than classical, but it's still a piano. If I were to really complain about tones, it's that a few historical pianos should really be there, for Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin.

When I eventually do some recording, I'll post it on the adult beginners forum. Yeah, despite having had the dgx fire about 7 years I never got around to actually play it much. Now I finally have a bit more free time and disposition for music. smile

see ya

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
peterws #2157186 09/25/13 12:40 AM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

I abhor the truth!

But I love music enough to deal with those feelings and continue trying to improve.

You'll never feel good about it. Just be stubborn and then the way you feel won't matter enough to you to stop you from taking the actions you know you have to take.

Last edited by Dwscamel; 09/25/13 12:40 AM.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
"In any case, the faster response and resistance of the action made wonders and my trills now sound a lot more acceptable and effortless.

There's also this thing about wideness between the black keys: they seem further apart than on the dgx and that is a godsend to me. How many times my large fingers got stuck between those keys and made them sound together with the one I wanted... this is another nice surprise feature I didn't see coming."

This seems to be the answer!! . . .(through gritted teeth) I do NOT like parting with money . . . . cry

"[Linked Image]"
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
who does? lol

take a ride with it and be amazed, Pete. Moonlight first movement always got my fingers stuck here and there on the dgx.

Last edited by Doritos Flavoured; 09/25/13 07:33 AM.

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
S
S
I have a Yamaha YDP-223, and I've been thinking of upgrading to a Roland HP505. But now I'm also starting to consider the Casio Privia PX-850. (I never thought I'd seriously consider a Casio, but I'm hearing too many good things about the Privia to ignore it.)

I also find trills difficult to play on the YDP, and I think it's because of its stiff keyboard. Also, my fingers tend to slip off the black keys (which is why I'm attracted to the non-slippery Roland keys.)

I really like the price of the Privia (about a third of what the Roland costs), and I see lots of positive reviews like yours. But I don't want to spend the money and wind up with something roughly equivalent to what I already have. I've also heard that the Privia has a "heavy" action -- which might be enough to steer me towards the Roland.

So, what do you think of the PX-850? Is it a light or heavy action? Is it just spring-loaded keys like on the cheaper Casio models? Are the keys slick, or do they have sufficient friction to keep my fingers from sliding off so easily?

Thanks for any info you care to share!

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
The new Casios have a very good action. It is a weighted heavy action that is fast and very lively. I have played both the PX-350 and 150 and find the action very pleasing. I am surprised by how softly you can hit the keys and still get sound. The keytops also have a simulated ivory texture which is also very nice. I think this is the best action any Casio product has ever had. You should definitely try it to see if you like it.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
pretty much what galaxy4t said, Robert.

the keys are heavier than GHS in my old DGX in that they offer more resistance, but they also respond faster. if it's done by springs I wouldn't know, but they feel like a hammered acoustic action. That's what I feel is helping me with trills, resistance+ response.

but there's only one way to do it: try it yourself in a store. Go with your headphone.

like many others, I too was weary of Casio, given its past history of cheap keyboards. I'm glad I gave then the benefit of doubt.

Last edited by Doritos Flavoured; 09/25/13 12:50 PM.

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Last Saturday I went and test an AP 450 (same keybed and piano sound) and is great, specially when it just costs 1000€ here, bench and delivery included. It's possibly less "perfect" (nuances)than other brands, but is a vey balanced and pleasant sound, as far as I could play.
Keys felt a little lighter than my Kawai RHII, and the notch less strong, so easier to play.
Great instrument.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
S
S
I mentioned "springs" in my previous post. I just wanted to share this video I found on YouTube which answers that question: No springs, but rather a real key-action, replete with three sensors!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmxKktvMQFU&feature=related
(The action is shown around 5:50.)

I found the PX-850 locally for $950 (no delivery.) But they only have the PX-350 setup to try out. I'm assuming it's the same touch/action?

Another dealer is trying to talk me into the more expensive Casio CELVIANO because they have a 5-year warranty. But from what I can tell, they just have a fancier console: the touch and action are identical. So, presently I'm leaning towards the PX-850. Do you think there's a chance the box would fit in my Prius?

Think I`ll gi the PX 350 AND 780 a decent try out next week (ie leave the wife at home). And the AP 650 . . . .What`s the bets 2 out of 3 won`t be in stock?

"[Linked Image]"
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by smmcroberts
So, presently I'm leaning towards the PX-850. Do you think there's a chance the box would fit in my Prius?

Based on this PX-850 unboxing video, I'm pretty sure it would fit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv8wTGohFOI

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission