Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!


SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
78 registered members (AZ_Astro, barbaram, Areris, alfredo capurso, 36251, 21 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2156006 - 09/23/13 07:46 AM Be careful, seriously  
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Loren D  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
PA
Repetitive stress injury is not fun. I've had to greatly cut back this year because of it. Careful with the hand you strike the keys with!


DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
(ad 800)
PTG 2017 Convention
PTG Convention 2017 St Louis
#2156193 - 09/23/13 01:39 PM Re: Be careful, seriously [Re: Loren D]  
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 440
James Carney Offline
Full Member
James Carney  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 440
new york city
I feel your pain, Loren. In April I was really having problems with a thumb tendon. I switched to the Levitan C lever and have tuned about 300 pianos with it. I also began using a palm striker which I bought from Charles Faulk. Doing both of these things solved 99% of my issues, and I can play gigs and practice without pain.

I tune about 16-20 pianos weekly so I had to do something.

The Levitan lever has been a real life saver, and I will soon post a more comprehensive thread on it. But I recommend trying the palm striker no matter which lever you use. I also recommend switching up levers, and learning to tune with both hands.


Keyboardist & Composer, Piano Technician
www.jamescarney.net
http://jamescarneypianotuning.wordpress.com/
#2156199 - 09/23/13 02:00 PM Re: Be careful, seriously [Re: Loren D]  
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 184
BenP Offline
Full Member
BenP  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 184
South Jersey
James, I was recently thinking about messaging you. Curious to hear your review of the C lever, particularly on verticals. I'm seriously thinking about buying one.

As a college student, I had occasional tendonitis problems in my left hand from playing piano. I feel like I am especially vulnerable to repetitive stress injuries as a tuner. The fact that I only work on pianos part-time is probably what is keeping me safe right now. Thanks for the reminder Loren!


Ben Patterson, RPT
South Jersey Piano Service, LLC
www.sjpianoservice.com
#2156201 - 09/23/13 02:06 PM Re: Be careful, seriously [Re: Loren D]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 56
mariotto Offline
Full Member
mariotto  Offline
Full Member

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 56
EU
I am also a pianist and tuner and have similar problems, I dont tune much pianos pro year but when I work in a school I tune like 10 pianos in couple of days and I imediately feel it. It is vey important to try too keep the shoulders and the elbow relaxed but sometimes this is so hard.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2156235 - 09/23/13 03:31 PM Re: Be careful, seriously [Re: BenP]  
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Loren D  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
PA
Originally Posted by BenP
James, I was recently thinking about messaging you. Curious to hear your review of the C lever, particularly on verticals. I'm seriously thinking about buying one.

As a college student, I had occasional tendonitis problems in my left hand from playing piano. I feel like I am especially vulnerable to repetitive stress injuries as a tuner. The fact that I only work on pianos part-time is probably what is keeping me safe right now. Thanks for the reminder Loren!


You're welcome! The time to start paying attention is before you have trouble!


DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
#2156236 - 09/23/13 03:34 PM Re: Be careful, seriously [Re: mariotto]  
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Loren D  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
PA
Originally Posted by mariotto
I am also a pianist and tuner and have similar problems, I dont tune much pianos pro year but when I work in a school I tune like 10 pianos in couple of days and I imediately feel it. It is vey important to try too keep the shoulders and the elbow relaxed but sometimes this is so hard.


Oh absolutely. Prior to this year, I tuned for four colleges. I would cram thirty pianos into a week for four weeks in a row, getting them all done. Last year was when I noticed the wrist pain, finger numbness, and hand tremor. Awful feeling!


DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
#2156243 - 09/23/13 03:41 PM Re: Be careful, seriously [Re: James Carney]  
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Loren D  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
PA
Originally Posted by James Carney
I feel your pain, Loren. In April I was really having problems with a thumb tendon. I switched to the Levitan C lever and have tuned about 300 pianos with it. I also began using a palm striker which I bought from Charles Faulk. Doing both of these things solved 99% of my issues, and I can play gigs and practice without pain.

I tune about 16-20 pianos weekly so I had to do something.

The Levitan lever has been a real life saver, and I will soon post a more comprehensive thread on it. But I recommend trying the palm striker no matter which lever you use. I also recommend switching up levers, and learning to tune with both hands.


Interesting comments about the C-lever! I've never tried one; I just might have to.

Re the palm striker: also a good idea. Unfortunately, I can no longer tune by ear since that involves setting a temperament using traditional hand/finger action while playing intervals. Doing that immediately sets off a flare-up. For about the past year, I've been tuning using a felt bass string wedge, sort of holding it in my closed fist and hitting the keys with it. Using Tunelab, I'm just hitting single notes with the wedge from A0-C88. Afterward, some tweaking is usually necessary, which requires me to use the hand traditionally again, but it's far better than using it the entire time and for the whole piano.

Anyway, beware!


DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
#2156347 - 09/23/13 06:11 PM Re: Be careful, seriously [Re: Loren D]  
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 39
mupianotech Offline
Full Member
mupianotech  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 39
Huntington WV
I've tuned for nearly 50 years and have had no particular problems with my hands, shoulders, wrists, etc.
However, my back is trashed.


Paul E. Dempsey, RPT
Piano Technician Senior, Emeritus
Marshall University
Huntington, WV
#2156373 - 09/23/13 06:58 PM Re: Be careful, seriously [Re: Loren D]  
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,932
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RonTuner  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,932
Chicagoland
I made a video about this a while back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv8-ry6VoJg

About 2 1/2 minutes in to see the design of the current palm striker that I use. I read about a similar design using a raquetball with a portion of a hammer glued on that sounds even cushier!

Yeah - good to pay attention to the structure of our bodies as we spend all these hours tuning. Exercise, massage, yoga - all good stuff.

Oh, and don't forget about your ears - too many of us aren't protecting those on a regular basis!

Ron Koval

#2156398 - 09/23/13 07:46 PM Re: Be careful, seriously [Re: RonTuner]  
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Loren D  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
PA
Originally Posted by RonTuner
I made a video about this a while back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv8-ry6VoJg

About 2 1/2 minutes in to see the design of the current palm striker that I use. I read about a similar design using a raquetball with a portion of a hammer glued on that sounds even cushier!

Yeah - good to pay attention to the structure of our bodies as we spend all these hours tuning. Exercise, massage, yoga - all good stuff.

Oh, and don't forget about your ears - too many of us aren't protecting those on a regular basis!

Ron Koval


For sure, Ron! I did start using ear plugs about five years ago, and they helped immensely, especially in those non-acoustically friendly practice rooms made of cement block!


DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.


Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What profession to choose?
by Viacheslav. 05/29/17 07:11 AM
Building Pianos in Africa
by Lirika. 05/29/17 05:49 AM
Yamaha N1 - is it still a good buy?
by Loga. 05/29/17 04:40 AM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Report Problems With New Forums
Report Problems with New Forums Here!
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics179,945
Posts2,630,742
Members87,916
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0