2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Clayman
I'm only allergic to arrogance, not a difference in opinions.

Okay, I'm through with this.

Verbal pugilistics can be fun, you know. "Ding ding" Round 2 . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
C
C
Originally Posted by peterws
He could`ve wrote and played his concertos without the orchestra . . . he`d be popular!

...yeah, some people might know him.

I just find it kind of ridiculous all this arguing about what is better, the action, the sound.... blah, blah, blah.

None is better! It's all a matter of taste, price, and what you want. Who cares what some say. If you like (A/D) piano x over (A/D) piano y, great! Go for it. It's called freedom of choice in this society.

Just take a listen to this. Almost any new DP's sound beats that (and probably feels better). That's a sound I got for free with Pianoteq, and will probably never even use it.

Just MHO.
Cheeerio

Edit: No hard feelings. I just wanted to show that even "gods" like Mozart or Beethoven were able to produce master pieces using what they had at the time. When some start comparing nuances of how the notes end or how the hammer hits, touches or releases the strings, I have to chuckle. Just play and enjoy.

Last edited by Cmin; 09/19/13 07:52 AM.

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Cmin
He could`ve wrote and played his concertos without the orchestra . . . he`d be popular!

...yeah, some people might know him.

I just find it kind of ridiculous all this arguing about what is better, the action, the sound.... blah, blah, blah.

None is better! It's all a matter of taste, price, and what you want. Who cares what some say. If you like (A/D) piano x over (A/D) piano y, great! Go for it. It's called freedom of choice in this society.

Just take a listen to this. Almost any new DP's sound beats that (and probably feels better). That's a sound I got for free with Pianoteq, and will probably never even use it.

Just MHO.
Cheeerio

Edit: No hard feelings. I just wanted to show that even "gods" like Mozart or Beethoven were able to produce master pieces using what they had at the time. When some start comparing nuances of how the notes end or how the hammer hits, touches or releases the strings, I have to chuckle. Just play and enjoy.

Quite right. It's no skin off my nose if people like something different to what I like.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

Many years ago, the local Musicians Union members were reluctant to play with organists. . . .

As recently as the 1980s, the MU in Britain (& maybe the US too) tried to ban the use of synthesisers. This looks crazy from the point of view of rock bands to which synths were for additional colours and experimentation. But they were looking at it from the supported singer pov - Barry Manilow, for example. He could go on tour with 50 musicians or three keyboard players. To the union, it must have looked obvious that these terrible devices should never be allowed to be used in public - at least in that way.

But it's like horse men forcing everyone to go around in handsome cabs even after the invention of the bicycle.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
T
Tritium Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Yikes, I didn't intend for this topic to get so heated. I take some responsibility for this, in challenging/questioning the "playing off the jack" technique.

Ando, I meant no disrespect, and it wasn't my intention to ruffle anyone's feathers. So, in the spirit of the show "Mythbusters", I will keep an open mind, and conclude with the following verdict --> Plausible. grin cool

Getting back to original topic...

I feel that the quality of DPs has gotten so high, especially in just the past few years, that they offer a more than acceptable alternative for pianists who, for whatever circumstances, are unable to own or practice regularly on a traditional acoustic. In particular, it is remarkable to see the level of advancement in quality action, sound and features, that are now available in the $500 - $1,000 market segment.

Last edited by Tritium; 09/20/13 12:18 PM.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Tritium
Yikes, I didn't intend for this topic to get so heated. I take some responsibility for this, in challenging/questioning the "playing off the jack" technique.

Ando, I meant no disrespect, and it wasn't my intention to ruffle anyone's feathers. So, in the spirit of the show "Mythbusters", I will keep an open mind, and conclude with the following verdict --> Plausible. grin cool

It's alright, I think we've moved on from it now.

Getting back to original topic...

I feel that the quality of DPs has gotten so high, especially in just the past few years, that they offer a more than acceptable alternative for pianists who, for whatever circumstances, are unable to own or practice regularly on a traditional acoustic. In particular, it is remarkable to see the level of advancement in quality action, sound and features, that are now available in the $500 - $1,000 market segment.

Yes, DPs are an acceptable alternative for most situations. They allow you to do most things you'd want to be able to do, and many things that acoustic pianos can't do. The only thing they lack is that highly resonant behaviour of real strings, and pedalling is still a bit lacking IMO. But there are quite a few very respectable DPs out there these days.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ando
and pedalling is still a bit lacking IMO.

This is the thing that bothers me most about most digitals. Hold down the pedal and play some notes. It doesn't sustain anything like as long as an acoustic grand would.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission