2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
84 members (brendon, 8ude, Abdol, Alex_Ki, A Guy, bobrunyan, 23 invisible), 605 guests, and 486 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Pet Peeves!
TheAccompanist #2153598 09/19/13 08:23 AM
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 309
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 309
pet peeves: play Kapustin like Chopin/Liszt.

Re: Pet Peeves!
TheAccompanist #2153784 09/19/13 12:24 PM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 228
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 228
I dislike it when a player doesn't give enough time to rests where there is complete silence. This seems to happen more frequently in a slow tempo, and when a rest lasts more than one beat, such as in the beginning of the second movement in Beethoven Op. 7. (Represent, Biss classmates!) It's as if the internal metronome stops subdividing when the fingers stop moving. To me it feels like exhaling slowly after a nice long breath and then getting poked in the ribs just before I was ready to inhale again.

When it happens at the beginning of a piece it also makes it quite difficult for a listener unfamiliar with the work to understand what the rhythm and meter are supposed to be.


I'd rather be practicing wink
Kawai K-3, Roland FP-7F
Now: Brahms Op. 118, Bach French Suite #5
Re: Pet Peeves!
Minnesota Marty #2153789 09/19/13 12:33 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 24,484
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 24,484
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Does anyone get peeved listening to grammar arguments?

wink


Gosh, no! I like them so much I sometimes initiate them! smile

... and on that topic :

current buzzwords :

- "iconic" - Everything these days is "iconic," it seems, unless someone is taking something
- "to the next level."

I guess, however, buzzwords are the signposts of eras or generations and are useful in that regard.

Regards,


BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Pet Peeves!
TheAccompanist #2153797 09/19/13 12:40 PM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,562
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,562

Re: Pet Peeves!
TheAccompanist #2153804 09/19/13 12:49 PM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,746
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,746
Use of the una chorda pedal as a crutch for soft dynamic. I can hear the difference and it drives me nuts sometimes. Yes, there is skillful use of this pedal but I'm only talking about where the pianist finds it hard to be soft so they just lay their foot down on the pedal for the duration of a soft passage.



  • Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Re: Pet Peeves!
Nikolas #2153964 09/19/13 05:06 PM
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,066
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,066


Best regards,

Deborah
Re: Pet Peeves!
jdw #2153986 09/19/13 06:11 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,108
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,108
Originally Posted by jdw
If we're back to annoying each other with grammatical peeves smile --there's using the plural "criteria" where it should be the singular "criterion."

I apologize. wink English is not my first language.


My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
Re: Pet Peeves!
Nikolas #2154084 09/19/13 09:30 PM
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 854
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 854
Originally Posted by Nikolas

mad mad mad So much....pain.... mad


Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
Re: Pet Peeves!
FSO #2154091 09/19/13 09:43 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,294
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,294
Originally Posted by FSO
It's cruel to domesticate peeves; they should be as free as birds...the ones that aren't in cages...okay, ants....no wait...bees, spiders...language...no no, I suppose we do imprison everything we can, ho hum...um....human nature is one of my great annoyances. Mozart, also, usually frustrates me. Intolerance; prejudice and even unequal repugnance is fine...it is acting negatively upon those impulses that strikes me as so....unnecessary. Um...the sacrifice of articulation or precision in favour of clarity or efficiency (counter-respectively). When people perform music they do not feel (sorry, but this obviously applies to the vast majority of musicians, I'd say, most of the time)...um....when someone asks "is this Bach/Beethoven/Mozart?" whenever they hear a piece of Classical/classical music, obviously neither knowing nor caring if it is or is not...I've taken to asking "is this The Ramones?" on occasion...pfft, why not? laugh I'm sure they're very good if I bothered to get to know them too laugh Um...when someone looks down upon another is one of my greatest peeves, wild or otherwise. The vile corruption that has spread through one of my favourite words [ironic] that now, for no easily apparent reason, means that people feel at liberty to class *anything* as ironic, be it such or not. I see it on this very forum every few days, at the least, and on American television programmes...oh it's rife! I mean...it's not even a trans-Atlantic difference..it...the great abandon it holds over the very context it's used in demonstrates that either instance A or B cannot be using it correctly, yet magically it's allowed....I mean, um, all the time, it's fine, people haven't a clue what it means..."it's hard to define" I hear as an excuse...it's *not* hard to define, it's very easy to define, you just....argh! Zeugmatography is a reasonably difficult word to *explain*, but to define it's a piece of pi...cake....just...people will "call you out" on whether or not you know some words, like, like, like, for instance I once said that what someone was wearing was a tad obstreperous and, yes, literally you could argue I was being needlessly expressionistic, but such is my wont, leave me alone! grin But irony? No, it's fine, keep using the sodding word, um, nobody cares anyway....*sniffle*..... *That's* probably the largest of my peeves. It.......it was such a good word......now it's just.....I fear I can't continue on that subject without slipping into profane metaphor regarding its unwilling promiscuity. *So* the adulteration of the word "even" which has also become commonplace irks me a tad...I mean, for instance: "are you going to go to the shops then?" "No, I'm not even going".......! What....do people genuinely believe the function of the word "even" to be some kind of bridge between their inane and invariably inordinately urbane utterances? Is it even me? I tell you, I'm not even being ironic.....even is used, when not to mean of equal proportion, to indicate, in conjunction with negative inflection (both literal and, usually, with regard to intonation), that the questioned, implied or otherwise assumed state of affairs is incorrect by not only the instance but *also* a margin: "You'll meet me by the bins outside Lidl at four O'clock, right?" "No, sorry, I'm so busy I won't even get there for five O'clock".........also, when people are proud of flags. Or their country...or themselves, really laugh But that's just my pessimistic envy, of course.....*cough* >.>
Xxx
When someone doesn't use the enter key. wink Just kidding, a little.


private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Pet Peeves!
Cinnamonbear #2154095 09/19/13 09:46 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 674
F
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 674

So good. I'm right with you in appreciation, Andy !

And FSO, cheers!!

Forrest



Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
Originally Posted by FSO
It's cruel to domesticate peeves; they should be as free as birds...the ones that aren't in cages...okay, ants....no wait...bees, spiders...language...no no, I suppose we do imprison everything we can, ho hum...um....human nature is one of my great annoyances. Mozart, also, usually frustrates me. Intolerance; prejudice and even unequal repugnance is fine...it is acting negatively upon those impulses that strikes me as so....unnecessary. Um...the sacrifice of articulation or precision in favour of clarity or efficiency (counter-respectively). When people perform music they do not feel (sorry, but this obviously applies to the vast majority of musicians, I'd say, most of the time)...um....when someone asks "is this Bach/Beethoven/Mozart?" whenever they hear a piece of Classical/classical music, obviously neither knowing nor caring if it is or is not...I've taken to asking "is this The Ramones?" on occasion...pfft, why not? laugh I'm sure they're very good if I bothered to get to know them too laugh Um...when someone looks down upon another is one of my greatest peeves, wild or otherwise. The vile corruption that has spread through one of my favourite words [ironic] that now, for no easily apparent reason, means that people feel at liberty to class *anything* as ironic, be it such or not. I see it on this very forum every few days, at the least, and on American television programmes...oh it's rife! I mean...it's not even a trans-Atlantic difference..it...the great abandon it holds over the very context it's used in demonstrates that either instance A or B cannot be using it correctly, yet magically it's allowed....I mean, um, all the time, it's fine, people haven't a clue what it means..."it's hard to define" I hear as an excuse...it's *not* hard to define, it's very easy to define, you just....argh! Zeugmatography is a reasonably difficult word to *explain*, but to define it's a piece of pi...cake....just...people will "call you out" on whether or not you know some words, like, like, like, for instance I once said that what someone was wearing was a tad obstreperous and, yes, literally you could argue I was being needlessly expressionistic, but such is my wont, leave me alone! grin But irony? No, it's fine, keep using the sodding word, um, nobody cares anyway....*sniffle*..... *That's* probably the largest of my peeves. It.......it was such a good word......now it's just.....I fear I can't continue on that subject without slipping into profane metaphor regarding its unwilling promiscuity. *So* the adulteration of the word "even" which has also become commonplace irks me a tad...I mean, for instance: "are you going to go to the shops then?" "No, I'm not even going".......! What....do people genuinely believe the function of the word "even" to be some kind of bridge between their inane and invariably inordinately urbane utterances? Is it even me? I tell you, I'm not even being ironic.....even is used, when not to mean of equal proportion, to indicate, in conjunction with negative inflection (both literal and, usually, with regard to intonation), that the questioned, implied or otherwise assumed state of affairs is incorrect by not only the instance but *also* a margin: "You'll meet me by the bins outside Lidl at four O'clock, right?" "No, sorry, I'm so busy I won't even get there for five O'clock".........also, when people are proud of flags. Or their country...or themselves, really laugh But that's just my pessimistic envy, of course.....*cough* >.>
Xxx


After reading this, I am so light-hearted and light-headed from laughing so hard that I have set all of my peeves free. If they love me, they will return. I hope they do not.


PTG Associate Member
Haydn Hob. XVI: 23 in F major
Debussy Arabesque #1, Reverie
Bach BWV 874, 883
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
Re: Pet Peeves!
Morodiene #2154096 09/19/13 09:47 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,328
P
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,328
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Originally Posted by FSO
It's cruel to domesticate peeves; they should be as free as birds...the ones that aren't in cages...okay, ants....no wait...bees, spiders...language...no no, I suppose we do imprison everything we can, ho hum...um....human nature is one of my great annoyances. Mozart, also, usually frustrates me. Intolerance; prejudice and even unequal repugnance is fine...it is acting negatively upon those impulses that strikes me as so....unnecessary. Um...the sacrifice of articulation or precision in favour of clarity or efficiency (counter-respectively). When people perform music they do not feel (sorry, but this obviously applies to the vast majority of musicians, I'd say, most of the time)...um....when someone asks "is this Bach/Beethoven/Mozart?" whenever they hear a piece of Classical/classical music, obviously neither knowing nor caring if it is or is not...I've taken to asking "is this The Ramones?" on occasion...pfft, why not? laugh I'm sure they're very good if I bothered to get to know them too laugh Um...when someone looks down upon another is one of my greatest peeves, wild or otherwise. The vile corruption that has spread through one of my favourite words [ironic] that now, for no easily apparent reason, means that people feel at liberty to class *anything* as ironic, be it such or not. I see it on this very forum every few days, at the least, and on American television programmes...oh it's rife! I mean...it's not even a trans-Atlantic difference..it...the great abandon it holds over the very context it's used in demonstrates that either instance A or B cannot be using it correctly, yet magically it's allowed....I mean, um, all the time, it's fine, people haven't a clue what it means..."it's hard to define" I hear as an excuse...it's *not* hard to define, it's very easy to define, you just....argh! Zeugmatography is a reasonably difficult word to *explain*, but to define it's a piece of pi...cake....just...people will "call you out" on whether or not you know some words, like, like, like, for instance I once said that what someone was wearing was a tad obstreperous and, yes, literally you could argue I was being needlessly expressionistic, but such is my wont, leave me alone! grin But irony? No, it's fine, keep using the sodding word, um, nobody cares anyway....*sniffle*..... *That's* probably the largest of my peeves. It.......it was such a good word......now it's just.....I fear I can't continue on that subject without slipping into profane metaphor regarding its unwilling promiscuity. *So* the adulteration of the word "even" which has also become commonplace irks me a tad...I mean, for instance: "are you going to go to the shops then?" "No, I'm not even going".......! What....do people genuinely believe the function of the word "even" to be some kind of bridge between their inane and invariably inordinately urbane utterances? Is it even me? I tell you, I'm not even being ironic.....even is used, when not to mean of equal proportion, to indicate, in conjunction with negative inflection (both literal and, usually, with regard to intonation), that the questioned, implied or otherwise assumed state of affairs is incorrect by not only the instance but *also* a margin: "You'll meet me by the bins outside Lidl at four O'clock, right?" "No, sorry, I'm so busy I won't even get there for five O'clock".........also, when people are proud of flags. Or their country...or themselves, really laugh But that's just my pessimistic envy, of course.....*cough* >.>
Xxx
When someone doesn't use the enter key. wink Just kidding, a little.

Overuse of emoticons, ellipses, and various filler sounds.


Regards,

Polyphonist
Re: Pet Peeves!
Alan Lai #2154098 09/19/13 09:51 PM
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 32
L
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
L
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by Alan Lai
pet peeves: play Kapustin like Chopin/Liszt.


Are you aware that there is a distinction between the two pianists in which you placed a '/' between?

Re: Pet Peeves!
Vid #2154106 09/19/13 10:08 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 974
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 974
Originally Posted by Vid
Use of the una chorda pedal as a crutch for soft dynamic. I can hear the difference and it drives me nuts sometimes. Yes, there is skillful use of this pedal but I'm only talking about where the pianist finds it hard to be soft so they just lay their foot down on the pedal for the duration of a soft passage.

Not a peeve or incorrect, just an interesting semantic coincidence. Is there a name for this sort of thing?

Re: Pet Peeves!
Ferdinand #2154116 09/19/13 10:42 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 691
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 691
Originally Posted by Ferdinand
Originally Posted by Vid
I'm only talking about where the pianist finds it hard to be soft so they just lay their foot down on the pedal for the duration of a soft passage.

Not a peeve or incorrect, just an interesting semantic coincidence. Is there a name for this sort of thing?


"False antonym"? I just made that up, in case there's no recognized name for it.

e.g. I didn't find it tough to tender my letter of resignation.

My favorite example is from a medical record, "He is proud of his gains in the area of weight loss."

Back to the subject, my pet peeve is, oh I don't know, piano teachers who are picky about total evenness in passages of Mozart, when you just want to learn the dang thing and go on to something else already. I guess my pet peeve is the same thing I'm extremely thankful for.

Re: Pet Peeves!
Vid #2154171 09/20/13 01:13 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 24,484
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 24,484
Originally Posted by Vid
[...]about where the pianist finds it hard to be soft so they just lay their foot down on the pedal for the duration of a soft passage.


... a sentence with a singular subject followed by a plural pronoun and a plural possessive pronoun referring to the same singular subject :

the pianist - they - their foot ... What?


BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Pet Peeves!
BruceD #2154274 09/20/13 06:55 AM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,562
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,562
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Vid
[...]about where the pianist finds it hard to be soft so they just lay their foot down on the pedal for the duration of a soft passage.


... a sentence with a singular subject followed by a plural pronoun and a plural possessive pronoun referring to the same singular subject :

the pianist - they - their foot ... What?
Somehow I was under the impression that this can be done, if you don't know the gender of the pianist.

eg.

"The artist must deliver the work within the deadline, otherwise their (rather than his or her) works will not be accepted."

In Greek this doesn't apply actually.

Re: Pet Peeves!
Nikolas #2154300 09/20/13 08:23 AM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 833
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 833
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Vid
[...]about where the pianist finds it hard to be soft so they just lay their foot down on the pedal for the duration of a soft passage.


... a sentence with a singular subject followed by a plural pronoun and a plural possessive pronoun referring to the same singular subject :

the pianist - they - their foot ... What?
Somehow I was under the impression that this can be done, if you don't know the gender of the pianist.

eg.

"The artist must deliver the work within the deadline, otherwise their (rather than his or her) works will not be accepted."

In Greek this doesn't apply actually.


Actually, yes. This is becoming more acceptable. It is not technically "correct," and usually I am very conservative when it comes to grammar errors, but this one actually makes sense because saying "their" instead of "his/her" is easier and simpler. Isn't that the point of grammar, to aid in the ease and clarity of communication?

Re: Pet Peeves!
TheAccompanist #2154303 09/20/13 08:31 AM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,562
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,562
Wait...

I commented on Bruce's post on English grammar and I'm CORRECT!!?!!??!

Oh my... This must be a first, with all my tpyos and all!

[Linked Image]

grin

Re: Pet Peeves!
Nikolas #2154306 09/20/13 08:38 AM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 833
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 833
It depends on who you ask; but I think you are right. laugh

Re: Pet Peeves!
Nikolas #2154312 09/20/13 08:51 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,294
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,294
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Wait...

I commented on Bruce's post on English grammar and I'm CORRECT!!?!!??!

Oh my... This must be a first, with all my tpyos and all!

[Linked Image]

grin
*typos. LOL

Quote
...about where the pianist finds it hard to be soft so they just lay their foot down on the pedal for the duration of a soft passage.

Actually, traditional English grammar suggests that male gender pronouns be used, but lately that has gone out of fashion. One could always say "one" but that get's a little awkward: "about where the pianist finds it hard to be soft so one just lays one's foot down on the pedal for the duration of a soft passage." For a time there was "he/she", and soon "s/he" made a showing, albeit a fleeting one. Of course, using "it" implies an inanimate object.

Why is it that so many other languages have a word for non-gender specific pronouns and we do not? I find this very annoying. So I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this one because quite simply, we don't have a word for it.


private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CLP 735 vs CA49 vs HP704
by Einaudio - 12/02/20 02:49 PM
Is there a term for this?
by TBell - 12/02/20 02:04 PM
Something cheerful, please!
by gooddog - 12/02/20 01:53 PM
Corona Virus Lock Down....
by Duaner - 12/02/20 12:49 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,213
Posts3,029,683
Members99,449
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4