2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 16 invisible), 1,895 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 28 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 27 28
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I'm practicing several interesting pieces now, all classical except for the Joplin. Guess which one becomes the ear worm? The Joplin, of course...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by AZ_Astro
Update and question:

Whew - I have the Easy Version of The Easy Money (which I now think is the Hard money). I have learned the A and B sections for both right hand RH and left hand LH and am currently playing each hand separately about three or four times a day.

I tried to put the hands together a week or so but the LH and RH were not sufficiently memorized and I stopped trying. At this point, I still marvel at the prospect of putting it all together but don't think it's possible. Thank goodness for the videos of people playing these pieces because it's amazing what they can do!

I am an early intermediate so have far to go. But this piece, I think, will really move me up a few notches.

My question is: How many times should I be playing the LH and the RH daily? Currently I play both A and B sections about 3 or 4 times, RH first and then LH.

Should I be playing them 10 times? The progress is very slow.

I imagine this is a 'your mileage may vary' type of situation and one which only a on-the-spot teacher may be able to answer. I think I'm in the slow-boat category for learning...

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

I currently try to play each section slowly, and try to hit only the right notes, with little concern for timing and pace.

I don't know the rag you're playing (can you point me to a YT performance?) but where the LH and RH have such a high degree of interdependence as they seemingly do with rags - the syncopation in one of the hands (usually RH) being grounded in the non-syncopation of the other (usually LH)- then I think hands separately is less useful as a practice strategy. Admittedly, I can't possibly put myself in your shoes or sense your difficulties but how about trying to spend a day putting two hands together over 4 bars or even just 2 bars? Start very slowly. A lot of the rhythmic ideas crop up repeatedly so getting the hang of one of them will help set you up for the others.

If HT isn't productive then revert to HS.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Sam S
I'm practicing several interesting pieces now, all classical except for the Joplin. Guess which one becomes the ear worm? The Joplin, of course...

Sam

The C part of Original Rags is currently playing in my personal head space.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
W
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by jotur
The C part of Original Rags is currently playing in my personal head space.

It... could be worse. A little musical joke of mine just backfired terribly.

My teacher just found a set of variations (insanely difficult) by early 20th century composer David Guion of "Turkey in the Straw". Yes, that "Turkey in the Straw".

Now, my husband is not a particular fan of ragtime, putting it mildly, so my thinking was I could borrow the sheet for the week and show him just how much worse it could be than to hear ragtime. So I brought it home Monday and made a point to practice it when he was around on Monday and Tuesday. I was, of course, hoping that he'd make some sort of barbed comment.

Nope, not a single comment. No notice whatsoever.

However, my BRAIN apparently thinks that this "Turkey in the Straw" melody is THE BEST THING EVER, so it was me who was lying awake in the middle of the night for hours last night with the melody running on continuous loop.

I share because I care:

Last edited by Whizbang; 11/06/13 01:36 PM.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
laugh I'll have to listen when I get home -

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
One of my concerns in joining this recital was exactly that, that I would get a terrible ear worm! Now both Joplin and Tchaikovsky are having a great time in my head.

It took me some time to figure out the Ab key (especially when some Fb and Cb pop up!), but my A section is finally coming together - meaning I can play it fast enough that it's almost recognizable. It's fun to play on the acoustic because it's meant to be played forte most of the time anyway grin

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I got to page 3 o` mine. Gradual improvements happening on p 1&2 I think. Was wondering if it`d be easier chorded . . .

It has just been chorded. And is easier. I did the same wi Tchaikovski. That`s a LOT easier now!

Last edited by peterws; 11/06/13 06:53 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Whizbang

I share because I care:
Thanks, Whizbang. That was great! (I say that now; let's see what happens when I try to go to sleep tonight. smile ) Those must be stacks of piano rolls next to and under the piano. Wow. Any idea what the curvy blue (or gray?) line is running down the length of the roll? Also, do you know how the dynamics get encoded on the roll?

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S

Well, if hands together is still too much of a hurdle, I think I would try to play hands separately (like you are doing) but with the correct timing, even if is very slowly. Once you can play hand separately with the correct timing, then pick up the pace. Next step would be hands together slowly, but with the correct timing.

Sam

Okay! I'll slow down then and play correctly with proper timing.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dire tonic

I don't know the rag you're playing (can you point me to a YT performance?) but where the LH and RH have such a high degree of interdependence as they seemingly do with rags - the syncopation in one of the hands (usually RH) being grounded in the non-syncopation of the other (usually LH)- then I think hands separately is less useful as a practice strategy. Admittedly, I can't possibly put myself in your shoes or sense your difficulties but how about trying to spend a day putting two hands together over 4 bars or even just 2 bars? Start very slowly. A lot of the rhythmic ideas crop up repeatedly so getting the hang of one of them will help set you up for the others.

If HT isn't productive then revert to HS.

Here's a link to a fast recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CegOF1vEJ4

A delightful piece, to be sure!

It's not really the syncopation that I'm worried about, it's simply the independence of the two hands and the speed!

I will keep up with LH only and RH only for another week or two to cement those a bit more. Then will try to put them together, VERY SLOWLY! It's going to take time!!!!

Thx for your insights.

AZ_Astro

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
smile I just listened to Turkey in the Straw. I once tried to get the band to pair it with the chicken song to use at a contra dance, but I was rejected laugh

But if this becomes an ear worm I may never get back to Original Rags. Dang - and I had it memorized, too laugh

Cathy

Cathy
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by AZ_Astro

Here's a link to a fast recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CegOF1vEJ4

A delightful piece, to be sure!

It's not really the syncopation that I'm worried about, it's simply the independence of the two hands and the speed!

I will keep up with LH only and RH only for another week or two to cement those a bit more. Then will try to put them together, VERY SLOWLY! It's going to take time!!!!

Thx for your insights.

AZ_Astro

.. that one's definitely familiar but I never knew the name. I like the guy's outfit and the hat but it's a bit like a graduation suit. I don't feel quite ready to get measured up for mine just yet.

If you can get it well into muscle memory you should be able to start moving up through the gears. Good luck!

W
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by MaryBee
Any idea what the curvy blue (or gray?) line is running down the length of the roll? Also, do you know how the dynamics get encoded on the roll?

The short answer is "no" and the Internet wasn't much help in decoding the Duo-Art format.

Based off some stuff I read, the wavy blue line may be a human-readable dynamics guide for people who did not have a reproducing piano but who wanted to use manual controls on the piano to control dynamics.

I suspect that the reproducing piano-readable dynamics correspond to the punched holes on the far right side of the roll.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee
Any idea what the curvy blue (or gray?) line is running down the length of the roll? Also, do you know how the dynamics get encoded on the roll?

The short answer is "no" and the Internet wasn't much help in decoding the Duo-Art format.

Based off some stuff I read, the wavy blue line may be a human-readable dynamics guide for people who did not have a reproducing piano but who wanted to use manual controls on the piano to control dynamics.

I suspect that the reproducing piano-readable dynamics correspond to the punched holes on the far right side of the roll.

Right, some player mechanisms had a manual slider you could use to vary the volume. So you could manually follow the blue line and interpolate some dynamics as the roll played.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the info, Sam and Whizbang. That's interesting about the manual control of the volume. I thought the dots off to the right might be for pedal control and/or dynamics, but it doesn't look like there are enough to provide different volume for each key. And I guess the manual volume control wouldn't either. Even so, it's a pretty nice bit of engineering for the time, isn't it?

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
How is everyone doing with their piece? I just started the "C" section of Chrysanthemum, and now realize I should have started with that. The RH will be doing some gymnastics! I worked out the fingering for this section yesterday with my teacher, and she kept asking my why I thought this would be easy. Oh well, A and B were pretty straight forward. I am glad I still have 4 months...

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I'm wading through my B section, which is almost there at a super-slow tempo. The problem with this kind of fast, rhythmic tunes is that you can't even recognise them unless you play them at a decent speed, and my slow practice doesn't get anywhere if I can't reproduce the right accents and duration of notes.

I was quite reassured by this morning's Essential Classics on BBC Radio 3 - they played a recording of the Maple Leaf Rag and it wasn't fast at all, but had a nice steady pace, very light and elegant.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I can play it, very slowly, with hesitations and mistakes. Sort of like all my pieces!

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by SwissMS
...I am glad I still have 4 months...

Amen smile

Now that I've submitted my quarterly recital piece I can concentrate on this one and something for the next quarterly recital. I'm glad I've got this one memorized already, tho. So now it's a matter of finding the interpretation I want, and getting some kind of tempo out of it.

Tempo seems to be a common theme - hey, it's good for us! And remember - "not fast" from the mouth of the composer.

Not fast - that's my goal smile

Cathy

Cathy
Just got two pages to go (one is pretty much a repeat). But this stuff sounds good when you take it easy. . . . Tbh it has done my head in; Not used to stride type piano . . .but I`ll get over it. Maybe . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Page 16 of 28 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 27 28

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission