2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 31 1 2 3 4 30 31

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Polyphonist

The deadline for submitting recordings or videos will be one month from the time of this original post - Wednesday, October 16. Please do try to get it in before then. Just send a PM to Derulux AND me containing your performance. The "recital" (recordings being posted by us in a list) will take place a few days later. smile

Good idea for a themed recital - but, with all due respect, the deadline is extremely unrealistic. November 16th would be more reasonable - and December 1st would be even better.

For example - the Alkan E-Cital was proposed in January - with a submission deadline of November.

The Grieg Lyric Piece E-Cital was originally proposed on 4/29/13 with a submission deadline of 9/10/13.

With an October 16th deadline I believe that the majority of folks who sign up will most likely already have the Mazurkas in their repertoire...which is fine, except that it doesn't give other folks much of an opportunity to learn and perfect a new piece.

Also - while it's good that you've opened this up to the ABF, let's face it, the Mazurkas as a whole are a quantum leap up in overall difficulty (both technically and musically). So if you really want ABF folks to participate you should at least give them first crack at the "easier" Mazurkas.

Just my personal opinion, of course. grin

Last edited by carey; 09/17/13 01:42 AM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by carey
With an October 16th deadline I believe that the majority of folks who sign up will most likely already have the Mazurkas in their repertoire...which is fine, except that it doesn't give other folks much of an opportunity to learn and perfect a new piece.

Why not? A month is plenty of time to learn and perfect a two-page piece. I, for one, have not even decided which one I'm going to learn yet. And if you've never done it before, this is an opportunity to challenge yourself. smile

The Mazurkas as a whole are a quantum leap up in overall difficulty (both technically and musically). So if you really want ABF folks to participate you should at least give them first crack at the "easier" Mazurkas.

While this is not really a recital geared towards the beginners as the others have been, we are giving them a chance (encouraging them?) to participate if they so wish, and are advanced enough to play the repertoire we are doing. If they want the easier Mazurkas (except that there are no easy Mazurkas) they need only to "snap them up" as Michael says. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Why not? A month is plenty of time to learn and perfect a two-page piece, and if you've never done it before, this is an opportunity to challenge yourself. smile

I'm sure we all operate differently. For me, a month is plenty of time to get an easy piece under my fingers, and play it in such a way that my non-musical friends couldn't tell the difference.

But I'd need a couple more months to really play it.

-J

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by beet31425
Why not? A month is plenty of time to learn and perfect a two-page piece, and if you've never done it before, this is an opportunity to challenge yourself. smile

I'm sure we all operate differently. For me, a month is plenty of time to get an easy piece under my fingers, and play it in such a way that my non-musical friends couldn't tell the difference.

But I'd need a couple more months to really play it.

-J

I could get one of the Mazurkas under my fingers in a day, beet. And memorize it to boot. Truly playing them takes much, much longer. We all know that. laugh

Regards,

Polyphonist
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I could get the easier Mazurkas under my fingers in a day, beet. And memorize them to boot. Truly playing them takes much, much longer. We all know that. laugh

If we agree on that, why not set up the recital so that people have enough time to "truly" play them?

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
I could get the easier Mazurkas under my fingers in a day, beet. And memorize them to boot. Truly playing them takes much, much longer. We all know that. laugh

If we agree on that, why not set up the recital so that people have enough time to "truly" play them?

1) most entrants will probably already know the Mazurka they're playing
2) if they don't, this is an exercise in internalizing a piece more quickly than one might be used to. Personally, I'm used to learning things very fast. If you're not, all the better. smile I don't expect technical perfection. Rather, I care if you have something to say.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Op 68, No 2 in A minor.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BruceD
Op 68, No 2 in A minor.

You're on. smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

While this is not really a recital geared towards the beginners as the others have been, we are giving them a chance (encouraging them?) to participate if they so wish, and are advanced enough to play the repertoire we are doing. If they want the easier Mazurkas (except that there are no easy Mazurkas) they need only to "snap them up" as Michael says. grin

Correct me if I'm wrong but if this is the Michael who recently posted in the ABF forum thread 'themed recital -- Joplin' he seems to have been "snapping them up" before a recital possibility has even advanced beyond the twinkle in someone's skull - in fact I think in one instance he was both proposer and snapper.

Doesn't anyone here have the wit to devise/introduce some modicum of fairness?

It may require a bit more work but here are two suggestions.

If you REALLY want to invite the ABF'ers to participate, then ringfence as well as possible the 'easier' pieces in the theme. (Yes, I know, this can't be an exact science but an approximation will do).

Instigate a lottery system for the most popular pieces or any piece with multiple interest. There are various online systems (short straw etc) which could be monitored here by a willing member.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers
[...]One other concern is if all recordings are accepted. This is music where the playing would be anything but literal in terms of rhythm, pulse and even the accompaniment notes with melodic impulse supreme.

I'm not sure what you mean about the playing being "anything but literal...." Is any playing of any score "literal"?

I've posted about this re. some of the other pianoworld recitals without a definitive response - maybe it is thought that this is to be provocative or in some way confrontational but no one wants to put a fair bit of time into fine-tuning the playing of a work, and then record, if it won't be accepted and that time could have gone to other repertoire.

Provocative? Confrontational?
This is simply meant to be an exercise wherein we all share our playing with others. It is not a competition to be judged, nor should performances be compared.

Through many harsh experiences with professional musicians in the past I've been conditioned to anticipate negativity and to have this as a source of anxiety and stress in sharing music with others.
M.

If anyone has such feelings about being "conditioned to anticipate negativity" and to experience "anxiety and stress" perhaps that person should not participate in this exercise.

It seems wrong, even before the project gets underway, to undermine it with suggestions of negativity.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Why not? A month is plenty of time to learn and perfect a two-page piece. I, for one, have not even decided which one I'm going to learn yet. And if you've never done it before, this is an opportunity to challenge yourself. smile

Of course, many of the Mazurkas are much longer than two pages...but, you're correct, some are fairly short. Folks will either have time to do this - or they won't - depending on what else is going on in their lives over the next month. I'm just saying that with a longer deadline you'll probably get greater participation.

The Mazurkas as a whole are a quantum leap up in overall difficulty (both technically and musically). So if you really want ABF folks to participate you should at least give them first crack at the "easier" Mazurkas.

The past e-citals have not necessarily been geared toward beginners (for example we did a Beethoven Sonata e-cital in 2010. More generic ones (like the past Chopin or Schumann e-citals) have provided opportunities for both beginners and seasoned pianists. Guess we'll just have to see how many ABF folks snap the easy ones up. grin

Last edited by carey; 09/17/13 02:14 AM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dire tonic
Correct me if I'm wrong but if this is the Michael who recently posted in the ABF forum thread 'themed recital -- Joplin' he seems to have been "snapping them up" before a proposed recital has even advanced beyond the twinkle in someone's skull - in fact I think in one instance he was both proposer and snapper.

If you look back in this thread you will find that Michael very fairly entered for his chosen Mazurka, and the comments you reference in the Joplin thread were made after that happened.

Regards,

Polyphonist

1) most entrants will probably already know the Mazurka they're playing
2) if they don't, this is an exercise in internalizing a piece more quickly than one might be used to. Personally, I'm used to learning things very fast. If you're not, all the better. smile I don't expect technical perfection. Rather, I care if you have something to say.

No matter how well - or poorly we say it??? Wouldn't it make more sense to give folks enough time to perfect a piece to the best of their ability? After all, we want members to actually listen to these recordings...... wink

I'm gonna shut up now.

Last edited by carey; 09/17/13 02:19 AM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
I am in favor of keeping the current deadline. Until Derulux, the other organizer, weighs in on this issue, assume that either you play a piece you know, prepare a piece by October 16, or don't participate. It's that simple.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think it is because the E minor was composed before the other 3 mazurkas of Opus 41 (in 1838, while the other 3 were composed in 1839), but the order does differ in different editions. Even the Paderewski edition has it has No.2.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I am in favor of keeping the current deadline. Until Derulux, the other organizer, weighs in on this issue, assume that either you play a piece you know, prepare a piece by October 16, or don't participate. It's that simple.

Everyone is different, with different strengths and weaknesses, and different amounts of time they can devote. To me, this is a reasonable deadline for a mazurka. I will only have 2-3 hours to work on the piece, myself, but it is a piece I played years ago, so I'm hedging my bet.

I would say this about the deadline -- let's see where the chips fall. If enough members feel they can participate by Oct 16, then let's keep the date, and members who feel it's a little too short a timeline can jump in on round 2. If the majority of members feel it's too short a timeline, to where we don't have a full recital, then let's adjust so that the recital itself is not compromised.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I would really like to participate. But I’m a bit concerned about the deadline, since I have limited time for practicing.
If the deadline is firm, I go for Op.67/2 in g-minor.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but if this is the Michael who recently posted in the ABF forum thread 'themed recital -- Joplin' he seems to have been "snapping them up" before a recital possibility has even advanced beyond the twinkle in someone's skull - in fact I think in one instance he was both proposer and snapper.

Doesn't anyone here have the wit to devise/introduce some modicum of fairness?

It may require a bit more work but here are two suggestions.

I apologize if I seemed to be jumping ahead in line with the three pieces from Op. 82 for the hypothetical Schumann recital. I wasn't really wanting to be allowed to do that as the same rules would apply to me as to everyone else, rather I was responding to inner enthusiasm for Schumann's music. And if the Schumann recital materializes and I "snap up" something another member wants to play, that member can PM or email me and I'll be happy to hand it over even if the result is that I don't participate!

If you REALLY want to invite the ABF'ers to participate, then ringfence as well as possible the 'easier' pieces in the theme. (Yes, I know, this can't be an exact science but an approximation will do).

Instigate a lottery system for the most popular pieces or any piece with multiple interest. There are various online systems (short straw etc) which could be monitored here by a willing member.

My feeling is that to allow more than one member to record a work is the finest and best solution as the choice of music says something too about a pianist, not only how each particular work is played.

Having more than one recording of a work might make for an interesting discussion.

M.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

My feeling is that to allow more than one member to record a work is the finest and best solution as the choice of music says something too about a pianist, not only how each particular work is played.

Having more than one recording of a work might make for an interesting discussion.

M.

I was under the impression that the pieces would be assigned exclusively - hence Polyphonist's advice to be the early bird. But, yes, I think it's a good idea to allow more than one pianist to a piece.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but if this is the Michael who recently posted in the ABF forum thread 'themed recital -- Joplin' he seems to have been "snapping them up" before a proposed recital has even advanced beyond the twinkle in someone's skull - in fact I think in one instance he was both proposer and snapper.

If you look back in this thread you will find that Michael very fairly entered for his chosen Mazurka, and the comments you reference in the Joplin thread were made after that happened.

Actually I didn't fully commit to the Op. 17 No. 4 Mazurka, which is because there is uncertainty about recording arrangements, so out of fairness I should plan to do it separately, put it on youtube, and post a link in the members' recordings forum.

M.

Page 2 of 31 1 2 3 4 30 31

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission