2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
44 members (Colin Miles, Damyan, Beowulf, andredatele, ando, Anglagard44, Burkey, 12 invisible), 504 guests, and 491 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Re: Lang Lang- his Style as a whole.
JoelW #2151235 09/16/13 10:31 AM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW
His (Lang-Lang's) Chopin is garbage. I'm seeing him this Thursday - four Chopin ballades.

Can't wait.

??

Regards,

Polyphonist
Polyphonist #2151283 09/16/13 11:30 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
His (Lang-Lang's) Chopin is garbage. I'm seeing him this Thursday - four Chopin ballades.

Can't wait.

??

Hahaha

Well, to be honest, he is on my good side even though his Chopin is RUBBISH for the most part. The only Chopin of his that I've ever liked was his 34/1 waltz (wonderfully played). The rest, polonaise, ballades, are all junk. His ballades are all on YouTube. Utter garbage. He really lets his big head get in the way of the music. He lingers with the slow and rushes the fast, missing tons of notes, very sloppy.

On the other hand, his Mozart is good. So I can't wait. smile

And oh yeah.. he's filthy famous. How could it not be fun? Plus I'm going with a close friend.

pianorigami #2151539 09/16/13 05:55 PM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
For those who have been asleep for the last couple of months, I am the classical pianist/social activist philosopher who posted the following link, plus other recorded examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VPgg3armCI

Therefore, I am a traditionalist, in terms of the actual way the piano was FIRST performed in public in the 19th century. Performers rolled/spread/arpeggiated their chords, they broke/asynchronized their bass and melody lines, they improvised, and they modified their tempos.

But, what they did not do was to make a public spectacle of themselves which is what Lang Lang does. Their individuality lay in their musical interpretation.

So, before I go any further, I have scanned a promotional photograph of Lang Lang, which was used to promote his performance with our San Antonio Symphony. It is a frontal picture of him in a black leather suit.

He has his hands at his sides, with his legs apart. And, it is photos-shopped to show a definite outline of his genitals.

What I need from you good folks is to teach me how to download this jpeg file to PW.

Thanks.

Louis Podesta #2151544 09/16/13 06:03 PM
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Why? I don't want to see double Langs stuff.

pianorigami #2151563 09/16/13 06:50 PM
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
LOL! Yes, please spare us!

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
pianorigami #2151571 09/16/13 06:59 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
LANG LANG IS THE BEST PIANIST IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!

Louis Podesta #2151574 09/16/13 07:00 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Louis Podesta

Therefore, I am a traditionalist, in terms of the actual way the piano was FIRST performed in public in the 19th century. Performers rolled/spread/arpeggiated their chords, they broke/asynchronized their bass and melody lines, they improvised, and they modified their tempos.

But, what they did not do was to make a public spectacle of themselves which is what Lang Lang does. Their individuality lay in their musical interpretation.
While some 19th century pianists avoided theatricality and were totally serious in their perfomances, pianists like Liszt, Leopold de Meyer, and Herz were major showmen when they performed. In fact, I'd say that Lang Lang is best described as a throwback to the performance style quite common in the 19th century.

pianoloverus #2151581 09/16/13 07:04 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

While some 19th century pianists avoided theatricality and were totally serious in their perfomances, pianists like Liszt, Leopold de Meyer, and Herz were major showmen when they performed. In fact, I'd say that Lang Lang is best described as a throwback to the performance style quite common in the 19th century.

+1

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
TheHappyMoron #2151591 09/16/13 07:20 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by TheHappyMoron
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

+1

Even Beethoven was known to be violent in his playing and eccentric in his methods. Of course, that was a shock to those in the parlors watching, but the people above pose a great argument smile

Everyday is a great day.
JoelW #2151595 09/16/13 07:26 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
LANG LANG IS THE BEST PIANIST IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!

ha I just wanted to ask you if you like his Chopin, then I noticed you already answered this question.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

JoelW #2151654 09/16/13 09:04 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Last edited by Kreisler; 09/18/13 07:25 AM. Reason: Confusing misquote removed

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

stores #2151659 09/16/13 09:10 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by stores
Lang Lang is a really good player. His Chopin is garbage. His Beethoven is wonderful garbage. I'm seeing him this Thursday (sorry about your luck). Two Mozart sonatas (his Mozart is garbage, unless you like your Mozart to sound like Schubert) and four Chopin ballades.

Can't wait.

I must say I agree. laugh Lang Lang is not my idea of profundity.

Regards,

Polyphonist
stores #2151672 09/16/13 09:27 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Last edited by Kreisler; 09/18/13 07:22 AM. Reason: Personal attack deleted
JoelW #2151675 09/16/13 09:38 PM
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Last edited by Kreisler; 09/18/13 07:23 AM.
Damon #2151681 09/16/13 09:41 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon

Am I gonna get banned now for acting out against this old curmudgeon?

I'm pretty sure he's under 40.

grin

pianorigami #2151698 09/16/13 10:21 PM
If we've reached the point where those who want to post pics of people's junk can be considered "traditionalists," I fold.

Jim
(obviously > 40)

I'd rather be practicing wink
Kawai K-3, Roland FP-7F
Now: Brahms Op. 118, Bach French Suite #5
WinsomeAllegretto #2151758 09/17/13 12:03 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto
[...]
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

Was you teacher trying to get you to loosen up? Free up some aspect of your playing?

Her main reason was that it was kind of boring for the audience and they might as well listen to a cd if the performer doesn't really do anything visual. She also said that expressing the music physically can help the sound (at least the perception of the sound) as well. She's probably right, and I tried to take her advice, but it was a struggle because I felt like I was putting more effort into faking emotion than into actually playing.

Hey, Winnie. I thought I'd offer you my own thought, since I asked and you replied (thank you!).

Imho, the drama should come from the music that emanates from the piano, not from any theatrics of the person at the keyboard. The "show" is the music, not the musician (though some would argue that the two cannot be separated). That said, if it is natural for the artist to contort and writhe and wince and otherwise carry on while playing in order to get the drama to come forth, then so be it (I guess. I have a hard time watching Keith Jarrett play, but I love to listen to his music). I think it is most critical to listen to what you are doing when playing, and get comfortable in your own head and body to be able to do that. It can mean facial contortions for some. It can mean gentle swaying for some. It's as individual as one's own voice. Faking it? That trick never works. Be ye genuine.

imho.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Cinnamonbear #2151765 09/17/13 12:17 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto
[...]

Was you teacher trying to get you to loosen up? Free up some aspect of your playing?

Her main reason was that it was kind of boring for the audience and they might as well listen to a cd if the performer doesn't really do anything visual. She also said that expressing the music physically can help the sound (at least the perception of the sound) as well. She's probably right, and I tried to take her advice, but it was a struggle because I felt like I was putting more effort into faking emotion than into actually playing.

Hey, Winnie. I thought I'd offer you my own thought, since I asked and you replied (thank you!).

Imho, the drama should come from the music that emanates from the piano, not from any theatrics of the person at the keyboard. The "show" is the music, not the musician (though some would argue that the two cannot be separated). That said, if it is natural for the artist to contort and writhe and wince and otherwise carry on while playing in order to get the drama to come forth, then so be it (I guess. I have a hard time watching Keith Jarrett play, but I love to listen to his music). I think it is most critical to listen to what you are doing when playing, and get comfortable in your own head and body to be able to do that. It can mean facial contortions for some. It can mean gentle swaying for some. It's as individual as one's own voice. Faking it? That trick never works. Be ye genuine.

imho.

If you're saying that Horowitz is just as credible, as say, me (don't worry, I know I'll never be anywhere near Horowitz... just to clarify!), because I do all sorts of crazy-movement-things (though less than Lang Lang), then I agree!

Everyday is a great day.
JoelW #2151866 09/17/13 03:38 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Lang Lang is a really good player. His Chopin is garbage. His Beethoven is wonderful garbage. I'm seeing him this Thursday (sorry about your luck). Two Mozart sonatas (his Mozart is garbage, unless you like your Mozart to sound like Schubert) and four Chopin ballades.

Can't wait.

Up yours.

Am I gonna get banned now for acting out against this old curmudgeon?

Really? Up yours? I, honestly, can't say I've never read such a thing from anyone on these forums. That's a bit strong.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

stores #2151959 09/17/13 07:46 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't care. Frankly I'm sick of your attitude as a whole. You could have just said "have a good time, Joel" or at least not say anything at all. But of course you just had to dump on my post with your differing opinions, and for what purpose? Yeah, you're a real cool guy.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland LX706 Review
by Colin Miles - 12/04/20 06:41 AM
Best Headphones for Digital Piano - your experience
by lukasz-zsakul - 12/04/20 05:10 AM
Is the Hailun 218 solid spruce?
by Sonepica - 12/04/20 04:55 AM
Schiff talked about Bartók's style of playing
by symphonicdance - 12/04/20 01:46 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,254
Posts3,030,353
Members99,467
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission