2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,319 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
As I have been trying to advertise my studio, I've come across a lot of websites that basically run the business end of teaching for you (for a fee), such as finding students, collecting money. Example: takelessons.com. There are also music stores that offer lessons with a similar structure. Then there are advertising websites like Thumbtack that help connect you with potential students, but they have to pay to be able to contact you.

I prefer being an independent teacher, but I'm having trouble attracting students. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these types of websites or studios, and if they are worth the money and possibly lack of independence.

R
R
Before you do the online advertising have you done any of these things?

- Try asking your local schools if they will allow you to advertise.
- Canvas the city with fliers and go door to door.
- Ask music stores/piano stores if you can leave fliers
- Many restaurants have walls dedicated to local business. I see this with colleges too!
- How about a large decal on your car?
- Lawn sign?
- Tell currents students if they refer you and the new students starts the get a discount off their tuition.
- If you are into social media make a Facebook/Blog/Twitter and tell spread the word.

How you advertise is very important. What are you doing?

I see many teachers say"Good with kids, BA Music, etc". This is boring! If all the music teachers say the same thing how will I know who is "better"? What if I don't know anyone with kids who take piano? Who will give me a recommendation? Or what teacher suits my needs, goals, without calling ALL of them?

What makes you different than the other teachers advertising? You want to stand out!

What type of student do you want to attract? Advertise to them!

Want adults students? How about Moms who have kids in school that want to try piano for the first time or pick it back up? Try something like:

"Insert Catchy Program Name"

Want to learn piano? Can't find the time amongst the laundry, dishes, homework, sports practice?

" Insert Catchy Program name" is for busy moms with flexible lessons times. Learn at your own pace! All styles of music taught.

Contact (your name) for a free (insert time) interview!

Its never to late to learn!

Of course you want to elaborate and embellish on that. Make is sweet and to the point!

You could also:

- Offer "trial" lessons at a discounted price. If the parents commit then they go to your full price.
- Get Catchy Business name
- Offer different learning programs at different rates.

Last edited by re22; 09/14/13 01:08 AM.

Private Piano Teacher
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
WinsomeAllegretto, I have read your post, here:

Subject: Lesson companies (online or otherwise)

As I have been trying to advertise my studio, I've come across a lot of websites that basically run the business end of teaching for you (for a fee), such as finding students, collecting money. Example: takelessons.com. There are also music stores that offer lessons with a similar structure. Then there are advertising websites like Thumbtack that help connect you with potential students, but they have to pay to be able to contact you.

I prefer being an independent teacher, but I'm having trouble attracting students. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these types of websites or studios, and if they are worth the money and possibly lack of independence.

as I understand your post, you are trying to advertise your studio and you have come across a lot of websites.

As a beginner piano player, I would never go to the internet for anything. I would talk to people from a music store, a college, teachers I know. I think the internet is awesome but not for doing business. But that is just me.

Now when you say you have been trying to advertise my studio - where are you advertising - city or where - what type of students / adult or children - what level of piano are you trying to attract?
possible the cost of a lesson and for how long a lesson 3/4 hr. , an hr.

I can't afford a teacher now but when I needed a sax teacher I went to a small music store in the the more affluent part of the city and noticed little business cards on the wall and phoned a guy and I got awesome teacher I had for 4 years. He taught kids and I dont' know how many adults - if any - now that I think about it - I may have been the only adult. But he had high standards - no fooling around - very serious about teaching and it was because of that experience that I was able to apply everything that I learned - to learning to play the piano.

I would never ever consider third party stuff either as a student or in any other aspect of life. I want direct communication with the party or person I am dealing with. It is all about good business sense and trust. And I guess that I why I could never consider anything on the internet.
I want to look them in the eye and interpret their smile!

cheers,

3S13TEA

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by re22
Before you do the online advertising have you done any of these things?

- Try asking your local schools if they will allow you to advertise.
- Canvas the city with fliers and go door to door.
- Ask music stores/piano stores if you can leave fliers
- Many restaurants have walls dedicated to local business. I see this with colleges too!
- How about a large decal on your car?
- Lawn sign?
- Tell currents students if they refer you and the new students starts the get a discount off their tuition.
- If you are into social media make a Facebook/Blog/Twitter and tell spread the word.

How you advertise is very important. What are you doing?

I have put out quite a few fliers (can always do more) and contacted local schools. I have not thought of some of your other suggestions, but I will try them. Thanks!

Michael, I appreciate your input. I imagine there are many people who, like you, would not try to find a teacher online (including me).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
There are other people, like me, who look for pretty much everything online.
Keep putting yourself out there.

Learner
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
There are other people, like me, who look for pretty much everything online.
Keep putting yourself out there.

I'm sure there will always be people who look for lessons online. I'm just wondering if that number is high enough for it to make it worth my while to pay for those websites.

C
C
I used lessonrating.com to get myself started. They charge a yearly fee of about $40 and the way I see it is just ONE single lesson pays it off so it's worth it. The students I've gotten from that site (around 10) have referred me to their friends. It's a great way to get yourself off the ground and get your name out there.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You don't have to pay someone or a service. Just put yourself on free classifieds and craigslist and make yourself a youtube channel, and write something that conveys that you are qualified to teach piano.

I get tired of seeing ads that say "My name is Miss Suzy and I love to play piano and would love to teach you..." I really don't care what you love. Before I pay you, I want to know that you have some teaching chops.

Learner
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Having your own website is a must.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
J
J
I've done most of the advertising suggestions mentioned throughout this thread, however, the one that got me the most students was a postcard mailing to a selected group (targeting a nearby grade school). We have two newly constructed streets with about 20 new homes nearby. I intend to place a postcard at each of those mailboxes. But other than that, once you get your schedule full, you can pretty much work on referrals. Until you get there try anything that seems plausible. Other advertising that got me students when I first started out included a church bulletin (there was a fee but I've forgotten how much), advertising on student folders (fee), providing lessons for charity auctions, being listed in community music teacher listing. Things that didn't get me anything - flyers tacked up on bulletin boards, business cards left at convenience stores and YMCA. But maybe just a matter of luck which ones work. I do not have a websiteand don't want one. I don't have time to maintain. I barely have time to post here! Probably a generational thing.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joyce_dup1
I've done most of the advertising suggestions mentioned throughout this thread, however, the one that got me the most students was a postcard mailing to a selected group (targeting a nearby grade school).

Can you tell me more about mailing postcards? Did you send one to the school, or multiple? This is something I have not tried and I am interested to see how it might work.

S
S
honestly advertising on the internet is pretty much required until you have some sort of following.

"Doesn't practicing on the piano suck?!?!"
"The joy is in the practicing. It's like relationships. Yeah, orgasms are awesome, but you can't make love to someone who you have no relationship with!"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My best referrals come from word-of-mouth, but that does take time to develop.

The MOST referrals I get come from my website. It costs me about $45 a year for the domain name plus a template to make my site from. I really knew nothing about making a website, and came up with something in a few days. I've added to it over the years, and it eventually made it up the google searches.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission