2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It's okay, no biggie.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Originally Posted by JoelW
Okay. It's just that a lot of people hold that belief in seriousness and it's ridiculous.

I too indeed find it ridiculous to label someone insane because of unorthodox interpretations. "Odd" or "quirky" is about as far as one can go based on that alone. Again, sorry for any confusion.
Totally missing the point as usual. It's light years beyond inappropriate to call someone insane even supposedly as a joke. This shows an insensitivity(just plain nastiness)that's inexcusable and is typical of many of your posts.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Strange...there was me thinking that "insane" was a fairly common term of endearment. I mean, people have used the terms "crazy" and "nuts" and plenty others like it without invoking this tirade of hostile counter-remand...but "insane" is off limits? Good to know...

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FSO
Strange...there was me thinking that "insane" was a fairly common term of endearment. I mean, people have used the terms "crazy" and "nuts" and plenty others like it without invoking this tirade of hostile counter-remand...but "insane" is off limits? Good to know...

Context, FSO. Context. Forever and always.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
But..but..."those crazy tempos" etc....and...and the context here was obvious frown I mean, it may not have been gotten...urgh, worse grammar you couldn't hope to find...it may not have been understood, but after being explained Joel accepted that it was a mere miscommunication it....it's like if I...*sigh* people will be different and hold different opinions about what's appropriate, I suppose *harumph* laugh Um...I just wish the benefit of the doubt fairy and benevolence pixie would visit a few more people before they lavish their helpings of prudential indignant wrath upon others...I mean.....he wasn't being mean... frown

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FSO
But..but..."those crazy tempos" etc....and...and the context here was obvious frown I mean, it may not have been gotten...urgh, worse grammar you couldn't hope to find...it may not have been understood, but after being explained Joel accepted that it was a mere miscommunication it....it's like if I...*sigh* people will be different and hold different opinions about what's appropriate, I suppose *harumph* laugh Um...I just wish the benefit of the doubt fairy and benevolence pixie would visit a few more people before they lavish their helpings of prudential indignant wrath upon others...I mean.....he wasn't being mean... frown

LOL! Now *I* am lost, FSO!!! Who, he?

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Can you give me an example?

Will do, when I do the 'full' reply to the OP. smile

My 1st reply was a little summary. Everything since then has been a digression on the sub-topic of posting a recording from such a mid-stage of working on a piece.

Sorry Mark but I agree with the others. You can't tell someone what they like! frown

I agree!

But I'm not "telling"; I'm predicting, and with confidence.
More later.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

LOL! Now *I* am lost, FSO!!! Who, he?

Well, it had to happen some day laugh Um, "he" is Polyphonist, unwitting lightening rod to the static despondence of social reparation...saying that Pogorelich IS insane is clearly neither hyperbole nor exaggeration, it's mere fallacy and not meant to be taken in earnest...I mean, if one here had said "yes, your majesty" would everyone assume they thought their subject of address to be of royal breed? I...well, actually, maybe I shouldn't assume...but I'd hope not. Um...yes...looking at that previous post on its own....it's a bubble of question marks, I'll admit grin Sorry... laugh
Xxx

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Okay. It's just that a lot of people hold that belief in seriousness and it's ridiculous.

I too indeed find it ridiculous to label someone insane because of unorthodox interpretations. "Odd" or "quirky" is about as far as one can go based on that alone. Again, sorry for any confusion.

Nice backtracking.

Back to topic - about tempo being a personal thing. Have you ever forced a student to play at a tempo YOU like just because You've heard it that way for millions of years? Or have you suffered the reverse? You know, there isn't only one Allegro, and there isn't only one Adagio, etc...

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

My 1st reply was a little summary. Everything since then has been a digression on the sub-topic of posting a recording from such a mid-stage of working on a piece.

Sorry Mark but I agree with the others. You can't tell someone what they like! frown

I agree!

More later.

Kind of condescending, don't you think? Just because he's young doesn't mean he's stupid.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Nice backtracking.

I thought it could be this but I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Not that you should. smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I agree!

More later.

Kind of condescending, don't you think? Just because he's young doesn't mean he's stupid.

Me or Kuan? I don't know who's young around here... I just assume everyone is over 40.

Online Content

Nice backtracking.

I don't think he deserves the slightest benefit of the doubt based on his incredible large number of nasty and arrogant posts in the past. This is not the case of a poster who is usually reasonable, supportive, and nice making a random comment about someone being "insane". Just the fact that he claimed a smiley would have made everything OK shows his true attitude.

I also find his comments to Kuan in this thread quite obnoxious. What kind of person writes something like "I guess I won't be attending your recital then" because the OP didn't agree with his criticism?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/16/13 10:24 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Nice backtracking.

Please, Joel. Was there any doubt??? Poly was obviously jerking Pogo's chain. Loud and hard. He seems to be able to dish, but not take. And Kuanpiano's thread is mucked. *sigh*

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Nice backtracking.

I don't think he deserves the slightest benefit of the doubt based on his incredible large number of previous number of nasty and arrogant posts. This is not the case of a poster who is usually reasonable, supportive, and nice making a random comment about someone being "insane". Just the fact that he claimed a smiley would have made everything OK shows his true attitude. I also find his comments to Kuan in this thread quite obnoxious.

What kind of person writes something like "I guess I won't be attending your recital then" because the OP didn't agree with his criticism?

I agree about the negative comments. Poly, you gotta work on that, man. You can be pretty mean sometimes.

The reason why I gave him the benefit of the doubt is because it's a forum and I have no real way of knowing his intent behind those typed words. There's no tone of voice, no body language, etc. to make a real assessment of intent.

Doesn't mean you guys should give him the BOTD though. wink

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Nice backtracking.

I don't think he deserves the slightest benefit of the doubt based on his incredible large number of previous number of nasty and arrogant posts. This is not the case of a poster who is usually reasonable, supportive, and nice making a random comment about someone being "insane". Just the fact that he claimed a smiley would have made everything OK shows his true attitude. I also find his comments to Kuan in this thread quite obnoxious.

What kind of person writes something like "I guess I won't be attending your recital then" because the OP didn't agree with his criticism?

I agree about the negative comments. Poly, you gotta work on that, man. You can be pretty mean sometimes.

The reason why I gave him the benefit of the doubt is because it's a forum and I have no real way of knowing his real intent behind his typed words. There's no tone of voice, no body language, etc to make a real assessment of intent.

Use the force, Luke. Watch the patterns. It all becomes clear.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

Use the force, Luke. Watch the patterns. It all becomes clear.

I guess I will pay closer attention from now on.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi kuanpiano! A few random comments, after two listenings to your presentation:

1 Digital pianos are really getting better and better. Now even works as complex and subtle as late Chopin are beginning to sound reasonably "authentic".

2 Overall, I like what I regarded as an analytic, "objective" approach to this movement, and particularly so in the really quite complicated development section. I could follow the progression of thought, and was struck by the continuing tension between the fiery maestoso declamation and the lyrical contrasting material.

3 For what it's worth (not very much, in this man's league!), I wasn't bothered by the speeds and pacing of the various sections. I would say what was most bothersome at this stage was for me a quite unconvincing conclusion -- it almost came off for me that you were surprised it was so close to the end, and in that vein I was really not surprised that you fluffed a few notes in that section. To a lesser extent, I would say that other transitions within the movement were not satisfying, either. My only other general comment is that the extended lyrical material doesn't "sing" enough for my taste, although I did find that to be in keeping with your overall attitude towards this movement.

4 In short, I do not disagree with you that this IS a work-in-progress -- but, unlike a couple of others, I don't consider your fundamental approach to be misconceived.

Thanks for sharing this, and good luck on the performance!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

I agree!

More later.

Me or Kuan? I don't know who's young around here... I just assume everyone is over 40.

What?! Do I look over 40 to you??? Hahaha! I'm in my early 20s!

Anyway I meant Kuan.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What?! Do I look over 40 to you??? Hahaha! I'm in my early 20s!

I know you are. I meant everybody else. laugh The only youngins around here that I know are you, me, Debrucey (where'd he go?), and OSK.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission