2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
bluezer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I am looking at kayserburg KA132,which sounds good but its keys is coarse,both white and black part,unlike others just coarse at black part.
It is designed to imitate ivory,and to avoid hand sliding,but I doubt that it have any good to a 6yr old beginner,maybe do bad to hand feel?
Thanks in advance.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I am not familiar with this piano, so please bear that in mind.

One pianos with ivory keys, only the white keys have a bit of texture. The ivory feel provides for a little more grip to it than plastic caps. I appreciate that more and more piano manufacturers are trying to simulate the ivory feel.

How could this be a bad thing for a 6 year old, or anyone at any age or level of playing? I see no problem with this feature.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
bluezer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you and your reply do help.
Here is more info about the key and piano: genuine Ebony sharps and patented keytops of mineral components nicknamed "Ecory" (Eco-Ivory). http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2021907/1.html
I don't know what's the ivory feel,but I get stone feel,just small bit feel,but the anti-sliding feel is obvious.

I ask this question in other forum,someone told me that many play techs depend on smooth white key,is that true?

Would you tell me which famous manufature(s) is producing ivory feel piano?

Last edited by bluezer; 09/15/13 11:32 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by bluezer
Thank you and your reply do help.
Here is more info about the key and piano: genuine Ebony sharps and patented keytops of mineral components nicknamed "Ecory" (Eco-Ivory). http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2021907/1.html
I don't know what's the ivory feel,but I get stone feel,just small bit feel,but the anti-sliding feel is obvious.

I ask this question in other forum,someone told me that many play techs depend on smooth white key,is that true?
I'm afraid I don't understand this part.

Would you tell me which famous manufature(s) is producing ivory feel piano?
From Yamaha's website regarding the CX series:
In order to provide the best playability possible, CX Series grand pianos offer
white keys made of Ivoriteâ„¢, which has a feel, color, and absorbency very similar
to natural ivory, while natural ebony has been used for the black keys.

From Kawai's website regarding the RX series:
NEOTEXâ„¢ Key Surfaces
Kawai's exclusive NEOTEX key surface material made of cellulose fiber offers the smooth, understated texture of natural ivory and ebony – and a semi-porous, silica-filled surface to absorb the hand's natural oils and perspiration. Since NEOTEX is used for both the sharps and naturals, the feel of the keys is consistent across the entire keyboard. NEOTEX resists cracking and fading over years of use – and is static-resistant to help prevent the build-up of unwanted dust. The result is a beautiful, long-lasting key surface with exceptional playability.

From Steinway's website re: Boston pianos:
Genuine spruce, individually balanced and weighted. Synthetic ivory and ebony key covers. New synthetic ebony has ebony-like surface texture and appearance that absorbs perspiration from the fingers. The fine synthetic ivory of the white keys has the same properties of friction, porosity, conductivity, and appearance as ivory.

There are many other great piano manufacturers out there, I just selected a few. The ideal has always been the ivory keys, and technology has allowed manufacturers to provide it without having to harm/kill animals.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
bluezer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you very much,your reply is very helpful,sorry for my broken english blush

Originally Posted by bluezer
I am looking at kayserburg KA132,which sounds good but its keys is coarse,both white and black part,unlike others just coarse at black part.
It is designed to imitate ivory,and to avoid hand sliding,but I doubt that it have any good to a 6yr old beginner,maybe do bad to hand feel?
Thanks in advance.

A simple answer for your question: NO.

Professional pianists actually do prefer the touch of ivory, which prevents slipperiness.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission