2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
88 members (accordeur, BeWood, Beemer, 36251, BachToTheFuture, 1957, Almar, Anjru, 17 invisible), 640 guests, and 556 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Thoughts on purchasing from concert inventory
#2150202 09/14/13 05:47 PM
I
iLaw Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
I'm shopping for a 7'-9' Tier 1 instrument in the greater Chicago area, and a very tempting option was offered to me by one of the area dealers on a 10-year old instrument from their concert inventory. The piano plays and sounds great and, although the lid has suffered some serious cosmetic damage from years of moving, my non-technician's eyes and ears detected no evidence of serious "mechanical" problems.

Which brings me to my question ...

I know that, if/when in doubt, have a qualified technician look it over, but what are some of your general thoughts about the long-term life prospects for a piano that has spent the last 10 years going in and out of moving vans, up and down highways, and in and out of performance spaces probably 200+ times? I'm sure it has been cared for by the best technicians, but ... I know what 10 years on the road can do to the player, how about the piano?

Larry.

Re: Thoughts on purchasing from concert inventory
iLaw #2150204 09/14/13 05:49 PM
T
T
There is usually a reason a piano is removed from a dealer's "Concert Inventory"

iLaw #2150207 09/14/13 05:54 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
One of the main reasons is depreciation. Once a piano has been used for 10 years, it is fully depreciated and the company can no longer write off the wear and tear on their taxes. At that point, they sell it off for salvage value and bring in a new piano.

But concert pianos have usually suffered wear and tear, and may need new hammers and strings, and possibly other parts. Sometimes these are covered before the piano is sold, sometimes not. This is why a careful inspection is necessary.

Semipro Tech
iLaw #2150222 09/14/13 06:35 PM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Pianos in heavy use often need some work after ten years. I recently played a piano in an institution and the piano was completely rebuilt about ten years ago (the rebuilder had recorded the date). It was a superb instrument, but does need some work. Perhaps some action and hammer work.

A concert instrument might have an even harder life than an institutional piano. Just be sure to include the work needed in the total "price" of the piano. If you're buying a tier one piano you want it to perform like a tier one piano.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
iLaw #2150226 09/14/13 06:44 PM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Realized I didn't answer the part of your question about long term life.

Assuming they never drove the truck into a river or something like that I don't think it would damage the long term life of the piano. It might just have some parts that need replacing (hammers, maybe strings, etc.)

My favorite Steinway D in my local area is from the 1920s and (if the story is correct) began life in the concert division. It has the original soundboard and keys/keytops, but has been restrung, new hammers, etc. multiple times (not sure how many times). It doesn't show any signs of reaching the end of it's life.

BDB #2150238 09/14/13 06:58 PM
I
iLaw Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by BDB
One of the main reasons is depreciation...

That's an interesting observation; it would not have occurred to me to consider the tax consequences to the dealer.

Originally Posted by musicpassion
A concert instrument might have an even harder life than an institutional piano...

I know what you mean, but I had to smile at this. Back in music school the pianos on the recital hall stages had a much easier life than the ones in the practice rooms!

Larry.

iLaw #2150298 09/14/13 10:37 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by iLaw

I know what you mean, but I had to smile at this. Back in music school the pianos on the recital hall stages had a much easier life than the ones in the practice rooms!

Larry.

Exactly what I was going to say, Larry. I wouldn't write it off until after the tech inspection.

ando #2150670 09/15/13 04:36 PM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ando

Larry.

Exactly what I was going to say, Larry. I wouldn't write it off until after the tech inspection.

I agree - don't write it off. Even if it needs repairs don't write it off. Just make sure the price is right. Hopefully the OP will share the tech report.

musicpassion #2150737 09/15/13 06:35 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by musicpassion
Originally Posted by ando

Larry.

I agree - don't write it off. Even if it needs repairs don't write it off. Just make sure the price is right. Hopefully the OP will share the tech report.
But remember the pianos on music school stages probably have not been moved around much compared to the piano under consideration.

pianoloverus #2150754 09/15/13 07:03 PM
I
iLaw Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I
My initial concern was the number of times that it's been tuned, and what that might mean for pins and pinblock, but research (including on this forum) led me to believe that, if it's had competent tuners (and I'm sure it has), a few hundred tunings should be nothing to worry about.

Frankly, at this point my biggest concern is the effect that going back and forth between 0/0 degrees/humidity, 68/40 degrees/humidity, and 100/80 degrees/humidity as it goes from warehouse to truck to performance venue, four seasons a year. I can spot (and have replaced) rusty strings and worn hammers, but I don't even know how to look for the long-term effect of that kind of constant environmental change.

That said, so far I've heard "don't write it off" from enough people to warrant getting in touch with the dealer again, so we'll see ........

Larry.

iLaw #2150789 09/15/13 07:44 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'll go along with the "don't write it off" crowd if you really like it. Get a tech who frequently works on concert instruments or is an experienced rebuilder to do the inspection, and inform them this was an ex-concert rental instrument and your possible concerns.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
iLaw #2150806 09/15/13 08:00 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Some concert pianos are moved constantly - into and out of trucks and venues of various temperatures and humidity. They hold up just fine and would have to be dropped from a considerable distance to really do anything beyond case damage.

Many of these instruments actually stayed in one place for a lot longer than you imagine. Especially if the company provided pianos as the official piano of some venue or organization. Also they spend a lot of time in the dealers possession, depending on the location. It is different with each instrument but a good concert tech can tell you immediately what if anything is inherently wrong.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Columbus, GA
New Steinway, Boston and Essex pianos
www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
iLaw #2150818 09/15/13 08:10 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Usually worth taking a look. Not all concert instruments are the same, nor are they all treated the same. Many 'concert & artist' program pianos have a cushy life residing in a concert venue and being well prepped and groomed for performances. These pianos are easy enough to spot.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
iLaw #2151378 09/16/13 02:34 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I know that, if/when in doubt, have a qualified technician look it over, but what are some of your general thoughts about the long-term life prospects for a piano that has spent the last 10 years going in and out of moving vans, up and down highways, and in and out of performance spaces probably 200+ times?

You might want to also make inquiries as to who is the best piano refinisher around Chicago. Refinishing is a different skill, and can turn your musical wonder into something impressive to the eye as well as the ear.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
iLaw #2151427 09/16/13 03:22 PM
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
Rental pianos wear faster regarding changing humidity than most resident pianos. Thus the tuning pins, bridge pins, action centers can be damaged or compromised more. Also they risk being dropped.

The lid damage could be the result of falling on the top while moving. Look for cracks in the beams where the nose bolts fit, or replaced nose bolt blocks. Look for horizontal cracks across the curved part of the case at the cheeks. Look for cracks where the cornice joins the case.

Frequent moving in the mid-west climate would be harsh conditions indeed.

Have piano inspected by a technician who knows how to look for these things if you are trying to buy it.

Last edited by Ed McMorrow, RPT; 09/17/13 12:27 AM. Reason: typo

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason & Hamlin Rebuild Requirements
by brdwyguy - 01/18/21 09:49 AM
Do you normally ask dealer to tune piano?
by tony3304 - 01/18/21 07:25 AM
iPad pro (2020) MIDI Output not consistent
by Almar - 01/18/21 05:33 AM
used Kawai RX-1 or new Kawai GL-30?
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 01/18/21 05:23 AM
Roland F701 vs FP-90X (?)
by Mulberg - 01/18/21 02:17 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,353
Posts3,048,341
Members100,102
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission