2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have always thought that most of the discussions as above are not all that conclusive.

First of all, there is a very different philosophy about Steinway sound explained by Steinway itself: Hamburg Steinways are explicitly explained offering different tone from New York version. It's usually explained as "European" versus "American" preference of sound.

At same time, the pianos feel different, sound different and their finish is different.

They use different parts and components,especially hammers. One is thought "complementing" the other: in Germany I always noticed that Steinway dealers talk less than complimentary about their U.S. made counterparts.

Another curious thing is that when discussing rebuilding and replacement parts for Steinway grands, they often include same parts as are in many new pianos today.

This is not to say that a rebuilt Steinway cannot be a formidable instrument, but without its name on fallboard few if anybody would perhaps consider going to the extent buying one.

As long as the discussions keep centering around "famous names" instead of on pianos themselves, less attention is given to an instrument's tone and quality.

And this is exactly where the fastest changes are happening in today's market.

Very inconvenient for some - opportunity for others and forever remaining in great denial for everybody else.

Just take your pick.

Norbert wink

Last edited by Norbert; 09/13/13 06:48 PM.

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Voltara
Originally Posted by joe80
Thing is, if that makes it a Steinwas (or a Bechwas or a Bluthwas), I don't care if the piano sounds amazing.

Or a Yamahasbeen, an Extonia, a Shamberger, a Ravenscroft Nevermore...

LOL. I love these names, Voltara!

Anybody else got some catchy names for rebuilt pianos?

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Almaviva

Take a hypothetical restored piano - a 1907 Chickering parlour grand, for instance. Depending on the quality of the restoration work, the resulting piano could be one of the following:
1) a substandard instrument;

It would depend on how the piano was before the work was done and if the piano still retained an authentic Chickering voice and if the work permanently ruined the piano's ability to ever again have an authentic Chickering voice. If it still had an authentic vintage Chickering voice, but the work was otherwise mediocre, you have a mediocre Chickering.

2) a fine piano, but one that does not have the same touch and tone as the Chickering when it was new;

I think it is most important to retain the authentic vintage Chickering voice for it to still be a Chickering. If the touch is different, but more responsive, I think that is a good thing. If the touch is different but less responisive, or if the action is identical to original but doesn't play that great, it is a bad thing.
If the piano looks like the piano did originally but the voice is different, I call this a hybrid rebuild. If it still has a recognizable Chickering voice, it is still a Chickering.
Steinway takes the hybrid approach to their rebuilding. They essentially put a new Steinway into the old case. It still has a recognizable Steinway voice, but a new Steinway voice that is different than the vintage Steinway voice. This is a valid approach and some people prefer it. The focus is making an old instrument as much like a new instrument as possible rather than trying to rebuild the vintage instrument with the purpose of it having its authentic original voice and using more authentic parts and materials.

3) a piano that plays and sounds the same (or very nearly identical) as when it left the Chickering factory in 1907.

This is of course undeniably authentic. If all Chickering parts were used to achieve this result, great, but if materials and parts were sourced elsewhere that gave a more authentic result, that is obviously the priority.

Sometimes people want faithful restorations to make the piano as much like new as possible, warts and all. One of the nice things about having a chance to rebuild one of these pianos is that there are usually some areas that can benefit from a but of tweaking. If the original design had a weak note amidst strong notes, it is nice to be able to get the weak note closer in performance to the stronger notes, even if this is not really authentic to the piano's original design. Pianists always prefer this.
There is certainly a point at which all of the tweaking and custom work can change the sound of the piano to no longer have the authentic voice. If the piano's original voice is worth preserving, I think it should be.

Ultimately, if the people who own the piano are happy with it, that is what matters most, whether it is an authentic rebuild, hybrid rebuild, custom rebuild etc etc.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Do you consider them Steinwases because they don't have what you consider to be the characteristic Steinway tone and touch? If this is the case, is it because of wear and tear, or bad work, or neglect, or bad original parts, or poor choices in replacement parts?

Yes ... smile

I'm sure much of it was simple aging and lack of proper and ongoing maintenance. But some of it might very well have been poor/incomplete rebuilding work. I would not use the term to describe poor initial quality off the factory floor.

And like others here, I did not think of the term as restricted to one brand. Maybe that's the issue. I'm thinking of the term more generally, and not in the very specific marketing way that immediately strikes others. Separated by a common language!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Michael,
I wrote a book for piano technicians that covered the differences between "original" Steinway hammers and the more modern versions.

The hammers you experienced most surely were made with mahogany wood and were trimmed on the sides to be tapered and slightly narrower than what is typical in newer Steinways. (And other brands too).

Lighter hammers return from the string quicker and this reduces their damping effect hence you experience more sustain. This is especially noted in the upper half of the keyboard compass. Also the impact noise of the hammer is reduced. Lower weight hammers exhibit reduce inertia which allows the pianist to input a wider range of velocity to the hammer. This increase dynamic range.

Back to the "Steinwas" topic now: Because Steinway started to use heavier hammers post WW2, Hamburg reduced the action leverage by moving the knuckle towards the hammer. NY followed suite in about 1984. I think all those pianos can be called "Steinwas"! For over 140 years Steinways had actions with some of the highest sum total leverage. Now they don't!

Why pursue a losing formula though with the reduced leverage and inferior hammers? Maybe there is a simple explanation or maybe it is in your book, and the book still is commercially available?

M.

Thing is, if that makes it a Steinwas (or a Bechwas or a Bluthwas), I don't care if the piano sounds amazing.

How about Grotrianot.

The reason why the discussion about "original Steinway hammers" is IMHO somewhat moot based on perhaps by another interesting fact:

I know from several European/German rebuilders that obtaining an identical or 'near identical' set of Renner hammers made exclusively for Hamburg Steinway is considered highest trophy for rebuilding instruments in general..

Even if these pianos are not Steinways, but include others such as Bechstein, Bluethners etc.

Nobody I have ever spoken to however, has ever shown the slightest interest to order those hammers exclusively used for New York Steinway.

It's not exactly that there is no rebuilding going on in Europe or people there not knowing a bit about the different hammers available on market.

it just could be that all the talk about "original hammers" is less important than meets the eye.

Er...."ear"

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 09/13/13 06:52 PM.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Norbert
The reason why the discussion about "original Steinway hammers" is mute is...

You mean "moot," don't you?

Tried to send a PM but the box is full.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The reason why the discussion about "original Steinway hammers" is mute is based by another interesting fact:

I know from several European/German rebuilders that obtaining an identical or 'near identical' set of Renner hammers made exclusively for Hamburg Steinway is highest trophy for rebuilding of their instruments.

Even if these pianos are not Steinways, but others such as Bechstein, Bluethners etc.

Nobody I have ever spoken to however, has ever shown the slightest interest to order those hammers used for New York Steinway.

They certainly "could" if wishing to do so.

Perhaps someone here can contradict this and cite a contradictory case from the other side of the ocean.

It's not exactly that there is no rebuilding going on in Europe or people there not knowing a bit about the different hammers available on market.

Having said this, could someone be perhaps interested in a Hamburg Steinway expertly rebuilt with entirely different, i.e. "German" hammers?

Ask yourself.

Norbert

I think what is being discussed are pre-1984 Steinway hammers, not hammers manufactured by Renner.

I would be happy to have a set of those Steinway (not Renner!) hammers, and also the higher leverage action as well that goes with those hammers.

That N.Y. Steinway D I played and recorded on was tremendous!

p.s. - I think it might have been more than just an immediately pre-1984 Steinway hammer design. This piano had the kind of sound one just doesn't hear except on recordings from the 1930s through the 1950s (with some N.Y. Steinway recordings 1960s-70s still sounding like that).

M.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
A Friend of mine had his 1916 NYC-A III rebuilt by London S&S in 2004. NYC hammers, strings, and action parts were used. It still sounds like a NY instrument and not a Hamburg. No attempt was made to change the piano into something it isn't. It is a very beautiful piano.

Any piano becomes a "Was" when it has been beaten to death or is simply old. "Steinwas" is nothing more than marketing because Steinway's primary competitor is a non-Steinway rebuilt Steinway. They are trying to capture the rebuilding market, nothing more, nothing less.

(I think "Extonia" is brilliant!)

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers

p.s. - I think it might have been more than just an immediately pre-1984 Steinway hammer design. This piano had the kind of sound one just doesn't hear except on recordings from the 1930s through the 1950s (with some N.Y. Steinway recordings 1960s-70s still sounding like that).

M.

I am beyond delighted that you wrote this. To me, that is the Steinway sound. The sound you hear on recordings from the 30s through 50s by Horowitz, Kapell, Fleisher, Van Cliburn, Rubinstein, Gould, I could go on and on.

This is the authentic, real Steinway sound. Sweet and growling and colorful. Thank you so much for your post. The sound of Horowitz's piano in the fugue from the Barber sonata, is my recorded reference for this.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers
The reason why the discussion about "original Steinway hammers" is mute is based by another interesting fact:

I know from several European/German rebuilders that obtaining an identical or 'near identical' set of Renner hammers made exclusively for Hamburg Steinway is highest trophy for rebuilding of their instruments.

Even if these pianos are not Steinways, but others such as Bechstein, Bluethners etc.

Nobody I have ever spoken to however, has ever shown the slightest interest to order those hammers used for New York Steinway.

They certainly "could" if wishing to do so.

Perhaps someone here can contradict this and cite a contradictory case from the other side of the ocean.

Having said this, could someone be perhaps interested in a Hamburg Steinway expertly rebuilt with entirely different, i.e. "German" hammers?

Ask yourself.

Norbert

I think what is being discussed are pre-1984 Steinway hammers, not hammers manufactured by Renner.

I would be happy to have a set of those Steinway (not Renner!) hammers, and also the higher leverage action as well that goes with those hammers.

M.

Michael,
Can you post a link to your recording on that piano?

Thanks!

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

How about Grotrianot?

LOL. Very good, Dad. The only ones I could think of were "Bluthner Blunder" or "Hairy Baldwin". sick

Last edited by Almaviva; 09/13/13 06:04 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

Bösenduffer?

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Byebyebach ?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

Or for those in the UK, Welmarred, Beknighted or Challenged.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Mason & Hemlock??

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

Or perhaps Mason and Has-Been.

Love the names...
Baldlose
Knobe
Bosenosir
Samsuck..oh never mind

Quid est veritas et mendacium, cum orbis terrarum.
V
V
Originally Posted by sophial
Byebyebach ?

Very nice. We also have the Charles R. W-altered, the Young Changed, and let's not forget the Humbug Steinway.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission