2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
38 members (benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, 3 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
vandier Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi everyone!
As you can see this is my first post, I started playing the piano (in the sense of a game, not an instrument) two weeks ago and I'm very determinded in learning and I regret I haven't paid attention to this keyboard I had at home.

Now, I'm searching for opinion to learn a bit faster and properly.

Currently I'm playing on a keyboard Casio CSK-551, I know it's old but it is the best I can use.
[Linked Image]
I started watching videos in Lypur's channel in youtube and also in the channel of youcanplayit.
I have the minimal knowledge of music and I would like to get better.
And regarding the way of learning, should I use the ABRSM syballus of the courses or any studying plan or just by learning songs? If there was a studying plan, it would be great.

So far I can play the Happy Birthday, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and a bit of Ode to joy and also a bit of Moonlight Sonata mov 1. Thanks to my keyboard that tells me what note to play and with what finger to use.

Thanks and sorry if I made any mistakes, english is not my main language, and I will appreciate every answer.
Viander

Alfred's Adult All-in-One Level 1
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by vandier
Hi everyone!
As you can see this is my first post, I started playing the piano (in the sense of a game, not an instrument) two weeks ago and I'm very determinded in learning and I regret I haven't paid attention to this keyboard I had at home.

Currently I'm playing on a keyboard Casio CSK-551, I know it's old but it is the best I can use.
[Linked Image]
I started watching videos in Lypur's channel in youtube and also in the channel of youcanplayit.
I have the minimal knowledge of music and I would like to get better.
And regarding the way of learning, should I use the ABRSM syballus of the courses or any studying plan or just by learning songs? If there was a studying plan, it would be great.

So far I can play the Happy Birthday, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and a bit of Ode to joy and also a bit of Moonlight Sonata mov 1. Thanks to my keyboard that tells me what note to play and with what finger to use.

Thanks and sorry if I made any mistakes, english is not my main language, and I will appreciate every answer.
Viander

How serious are you to learn properly? I have discovered it is one thing to hit notes on a keyboard but another thing altogether to phrase properly.

V
vandier Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I dedicated more than 2 hours every day for the last week and I plan to spend a lot more everyday for the next two weeks. And in October maybe I can do 1 hour each day.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My plan is to attend lessons and do what my teacher tells me.
So far, it's working out great!

Learner
Im using Alfreds all in one piano course and like it

V
vandier Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by malkin

Actually I don't have a teacher and I'm not planning to have one at least in the short run.

Originally Posted by Barry1963
Im using Alfreds all in one piano course and like it
I might take a look at this Alfred course, I see it has very good reviews in amazon.com thanks

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by malkin

Actually I don't have a teacher and I'm not planning to have one at least in the short run.

You sound like you are really dedicated to the idea of learning how to play, and genuinely asking for advice on the best way to go about it. So here's my advice:

-Get a good teacher. Even if you can only afford lessons once in a while, every other week, whatever. It *will* help and allow you to progress much faster than on your own. I'm not sure what reservations you have about this idea, but I ask you to reconsider. People can and do self-teach, but always compared with someone who has a good teacher that fits their needs, the taught pianist will progress faster.

-Get a decent piano. I know this can be difficult to do. Many people have space concerns or sound concerns with neighbors. But even a good digital piano with 88 weighted keys will help you to improve much faster than you will on this keyboard. If you are serious, perhaps start saving now. For brand new, you can get a decent digital piano for around $500 USD. On the used market you can get one for quite a bit less than this, just make sure it has 88 weighted keys and you'll be well on your way to progressing as a pianist.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Get a good teacher. Even if you can only afford lessons once in a while, every other week, whatever. It *will* help and allow you to progress much faster than on your own. I'm not sure what reservations you have about this idea, but I ask you to reconsider. People can and do self-teach, but always compared with someone who has a good teacher that fits their needs, the taught pianist will progress faster.

-Get a decent piano. I know this can be difficult to do. Many people have space concerns or sound concerns with neighbors. But even a good digital piano with 88 weighted keys will help you to improve much faster than you will on this keyboard. If you are serious, perhaps start saving now. For brand new, you can get a decent digital piano for around $500 USD. On the used market you can get one for quite a bit less than this, just make sure it has 88 weighted keys and you'll be well on your way to progressing as a pianist.

The suggestions from Morodiene are probably the best advice you can get.

You can learn without a teacher but your skill set is likely to be flawed and eventually will make things more difficult for you.

Some will argue that you "don't need a teacher, look at ...".
The problem with that is that you will not find out that they were wrong until you have progressed about 5 years down the road. Then you will be wishing you had started with a teacher and those who said you don't need a teacher will be no where around. It will be you who pays the price.

Now, if you just want to be a hobby pianist and be able to "bang" out a few songs, no problem ... you do not need a teacher for that.

But you say

That word PROPERLY makes all the difference. You want PROPERLY ? Get a teacher.

Good Luck

Last edited by dmd; 09/12/13 10:44 AM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Viander

You didn't say what kind of music that you like. If you want to learn classical music, your keyboard will sabotage you.

I recommend you to keep studying with your keyboard for now, and, ideally, you should find a teacher. However, you should start to plan how to upgrade your instrument--either to a digital piano with 88 weighted keys or to a used acoustic piano.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . .

I _think_ that the CTK-551 keyboard is _not_ "touch-sensitive". That is, it makes the same sound whether you press a key softly, or hit it hard. That's how an organ keyboard works.

That's a serious problem for learning to play piano. Piano music has lots of "dynamics" -- changes from soft playing to loud playing, times when one hand (or one finger!) plays loudly, and others play softly.

You can certainly learn a lot of _music_ with that keyboard. Scales, chords, arpeggios, will all work the same as on a piano.

. . . If it's all you have, use it!

But it will handicap you in learning piano technique. Your fingers will not become sensitive about how hard they hit the keys (because each note will sound equally loud), and that's an important skill for piano playing.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
V
vandier Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by Whizbang

You didn't say what kind of music that you like. If you want to learn classical music, your keyboard will sabotage you.

I recommend you to keep studying with your keyboard for now, and, ideally, you should find a teacher. However, you should start to plan how to upgrade your instrument--either to a digital piano with 88 weighted keys or to a used acoustic piano.

I like all kind of music, but specially classical and I might consider to buy an 88 keys digital piano but not quite soon.

Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

I _think_ that the CTK-551 keyboard is _not_ "touch-sensitive". That is, it makes the same sound whether you press a key softly, or hit it hard. That's how an organ keyboard works.

You can certainly learn a lot of _music_ with that keyboard. Scales, chords, arpeggios, will all work the same as on a piano.

. . . If it's all you have, use it!

I would learn piano technique and what you said , scales, chords, arpeggios,...

And to start I bought Alfred ADult All-in-one I hope it helps.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission