Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
100 registered members (AnnInMiami, anotherscott, Bett, Angelos58, Carey, 28 invisible), 1,649 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yamaha P22 -Need your help #214875
12/17/05 09:14 PM
12/17/05 09:14 PM
N
novice4 Offline OP
novice4  Offline OP
N

I am about to make a decision on Yamaha P22. Is $4488.00 a fair price on a new Yamaha P22? This happens to be a sale price and the sale is about to end soon. Appreciate your prompt feedback.

Thanks!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Yamaha P22 -Need your help #214876
12/18/05 07:44 AM
12/18/05 07:44 AM
Iowa
M
MartinJ. Offline
MartinJ.  Offline
M

Iowa
novice4

Do a search of these forums and you'll find several posts that mention the Yamaha P22, ranging from slightly used for 3995, 10 year old for 4500, and new for 3500.

Of course, the posts are old but still in this year.

The bluebookofpianos shows the MSRP of the P22 to be $5795 for all finishes. I'm not sure what the "sticker" price of the piano is, so I can't say you're getting a "fair price."

Price depends on so much-market conditions, how many pianos are out there, how long the piano has been on their floor.

You might check Larry Fine's piano pricing supplement for 04-05 and see what he lists at. 20% off of that would be fair.

However, if you think you're getting a good deal, like the piano, and will be kicking yourself for "not grabbing it when you could," buy it. There's always going to be somebody who paid more for the same piano, and somebody who paid less.

I saw somewhere on-line a quote like, "the piano you're looking at will never be as cheap as it is today," or something like that. As I researched pianos and wondered, "should I buy now? Should I wait until I can afford something better," and looked at prices over time, I realized that "something better" just wasn't going to show up next year, so I found something I liked and could afford this year, and am happy with it.

Also in your pricing, are delivery and 2 free tunings included? Is the dealer reputable for service?

Never feel pressured by "sale" prices. There's a dealer in our area that has the "BLOWOUT SALE-NEED WAREHOUSE SPACE NOW!" sale every 2 weeks. If the piano doesn't sell, you might be in better position to negotiate AFTER the sale, anyway.

Re: Yamaha P22 -Need your help #214877
12/18/05 07:53 AM
12/18/05 07:53 AM
Iowa
M
MartinJ. Offline
MartinJ.  Offline
M

Iowa
I forgot to mention: pianos should be purchased after careful research, lots of playing, and not on impulse.

If you can wait a few months to buy, research and look around, you might be able to find a piano you like better for about the same cost. If you're going after the name, recognize that even Yamaha has different quality pianos, the P22 would not be their "best" vertical.

The Larry Fine Piano Book is a good place to start.

I've read elsewhere that summer is actually the best time to buy pianos because the market tends to be very slow in July-people vacationing rather than buying pianos. I don't know that as a fact and my own shopping experience tends to lend to, you can get a good deal any time of year if you're patient, know what you want, and have taken time to research pianos.

There are a bunch of "what piano should I buy" postings that would be well worth your while to browse.

Also check

http://www.pianofinders.com/aboutus/intro.htm

for a good, on-line summary of piano buying.

Re: Yamaha P22 -Need your help #214878
12/18/05 08:04 AM
12/18/05 08:04 AM
boston north
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member
lilylady  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

boston north
One sale ends....

Another sale begins....

Roberta

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Re: Yamaha P22 -Need your help #214879
12/18/05 09:53 AM
12/18/05 09:53 AM
N
novice4 Offline OP
novice4  Offline OP
N

> The bluebookofpianos shows the MSRP of the P22 to be $5795 for all finishes. I'm not sure what the "sticker" price of the piano is, so I can't say you're getting a "fair price."

Thanks for the response!. The MSRP is $5795.

> Also in your pricing, are delivery and 2 free tunings included?

price + delivery + tax + 2 tunings + 10 yr warranty comes to $4931

> Is the dealer reputable for service?

Dealer has been around for many years and was recommended by my son's piano teacher.

I saw pretty good reviews for P22 and it seemed as if you can't go wrong buying the same. Also, since I am a novice when it comes to piano and it is my first investment, I was just playing safe.

Thanks!

Re: Yamaha P22 -Need your help #214880
12/18/05 02:49 PM
12/18/05 02:49 PM
Iowa
M
MartinJ. Offline
MartinJ.  Offline
M

Iowa
novice4

Just to clarify, I'm not an expert by any means. I've just been "in the search mode" myself, so a lot of what you're asking now I've just gone through.

It's good that our sources both point to the $5795 MSRP. Others in other strands mention that MSRP is not the same as "sticker price," and that you want to negotiate off of the sticker price. Evidently some manufacturers simply inflate their MSRP to make it look like you're getting a 50% discount, when the reality of it is the dealer will sell the piano well below MSRP anyway.

I would agree Yamaha's are pretty safe bets as far as being reliable. If you're not real particular as to the kind of sound and action you're looking for, the Yamaha will be a nice first piano.

I'd again suggest you search Pianoworld on Yamaha and P22 and see what you get.

Would it be possible to rent for a short time while you investigate your local market a bit more? The Larry Fine Piano Book is a must read-he discusses things like, some piano teachers get commissions or discounts if their students end up purchasing there, as well a story of a woman who bought a piano "on sale" only to find that she probably over-paid given the market conditions.

P22s are always going to be around. Unless you have a sense that you'll not be able to get this piano, or that prices will be going up next month, or if you need the piano TOMORROW, I'd recommend taking at least another week reading up on things, calling local techs, searching ebay and other piano sites, calling piano brokers, etc. You might be able to find a nice, used P22 through a broker or piano tech, for up to 1/2 the cost of a new one (again, depending on market conditions).

Re: Yamaha P22 -Need your help #214881
12/18/05 04:59 PM
12/18/05 04:59 PM
Virginia
e Offline
e  Offline

Virginia
Is this a floor model P22 or brand new with your choice of finish? I was shopping Yamaha uprights a few months ago and one dealer had a new walnut finish P22 on the floor that he said he would "let go" for $5k out the door - very close to the price you are getting. I would have preferred a black one and I really did not think that ~15% off of MSRP was that great of a deal. The profit margin will be different from location to location and will also depend heavily on your negotiation skill, but I think something like 25% off MSRP is a good ballpark.

I was not as impressed with the P22 as I was with the U1 and so I kept looking. I found a used WX1F (high-end version of U1) for half the price of a new U1 and it is a great piano. Have you looked into the used market at all?

Regards,
Eric

Re: Yamaha P22 -Need your help #214882
12/18/05 10:07 PM
12/18/05 10:07 PM
N
novice4 Offline OP
novice4  Offline OP
N

> Is this a floor model P22 or brand new with your choice of finish?

No, it is brand new ( any choice of finish ).

> Have you looked into the used market at all?

Yes, the only problem is since I don't know much about pianos, I am unable to judge whether something is worth the money they are asking.

Re: Yamaha P22 -Need your help #214883
12/18/05 10:26 PM
12/18/05 10:26 PM
Oregon
H
Happyshawtrapp Offline
Happyshawtrapp  Offline
H

Oregon
I was almost buying a Yamaha however I heard that they can get very tinny sounding with age. So I kept looking. I found a Charles Walters whichis well reviewed in the larry Fine b ook and I have to say I have no regrets. I love the piano and I love the touch and I love the sound. Check it out. I was a novice to when I was buying. I took a year to buy. Take your time, Breathe deep, go slow.

Re: Yamaha P22 -Need your help #214884
01/04/09 12:32 PM
01/04/09 12:32 PM
Texas
M
musicxfreakk Offline
musicxfreakk  Offline
M

Texas
i would say no, used u3 are sometimes even cheaper then that and people would definetly go for the u3

Fact: Music is lifee.
Re: Yamaha P22 -Need your help #214885
01/04/09 12:44 PM
01/04/09 12:44 PM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
Freak,

You're giving advice on a question asked four years ago. THIS IS AN OLD THREAD. laugh

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Re: Yamaha P22 -Need your help #214886
01/04/09 12:57 PM
01/04/09 12:57 PM
Michigan
Poisy Offline
Poisy  Offline

Michigan
Wow! Prices on P22 in 2005 was about the same as today's prices. Last year I got an offer for a P22 (brand new) for $4500 with 2 tunings. smile

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dwight piano
by WY2298. 11/12/18 05:23 PM
Ydp-143 and iPhone - what can I do?
by Chilligirl. 11/12/18 04:44 PM
'Un hiver à Majorque"
by dolce sfogato. 11/12/18 04:33 PM
Same notes on different Clef - D4
by XxKeldecknightxX. 11/12/18 04:31 PM
Need advice on 2017 Seiler ED186 vs 2012 Schimmel C189
by Joe Apisarn. 11/12/18 02:50 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,303
Posts2,760,536
Members91,475
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission