2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Animisha, admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,175 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Swarth Offline OP
OP Offline
I have had a few weeks to get acquainted with my Mason & Hamlin CC2. It was not love at first sight and that is the chance you take when rebuilding a piano. In the shop the few pianists that played it said it wasn't "amazing". That said, when making the choices for rebuild compromises are made that may affect the sound, performance or looks. I opted for lesser than the $1000 a foot local refinishing offering. Upon close inspection, they did an OK job, overall the several thousands saved was worth it. I was hoping to place this piano in an hall rather than a home but that is not happening. The new Able action and hammers are about as good as it gets. Not having to replace the soundboard was a big deal. Still you never know what you will get. Six months passed and the unsold piano came home.

After my technician came out and put the initial fine tuning this piano came alive. The purity of tone was commented on as he is the local Steinway guy and it's much different than a D which "has lots going on". He told me this piano belonged in a studio as it was perfect for recording. His appraisal was well above what I could not sell it for. After a short discussion with my wife, whose terms of surrender was that the bringing home of stray grands ends, we decided to keep her. While not perfect, this piano has more expressive capabilities than I'm accustomed to. I'm learning a whole new way to play adding tonal colors. This concert grand is really a luxury liner. This is not a little run about or even a high powered speed boat. It takes time to get up to speed and prefers gentle handling. It's responsiveness is much more subtle and it reflects in the smooth ride. I'm really enjoying everything it can do. I'm starting to set up for recording. I still have to have my sound guy do a room treatment plan and figure out what/where microphones to use. For now I just did a quick run through so you could all hear what it sounds like.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200551336802781

Quid est veritas et mendacium, cum orbis terrarum.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Going out of tune already. That can be expected with new strings.

Semipro Tech
J
J
Congratulation on your M&H! The recording does need some rework, since it does not sound like M&H at all.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What a delightful sound! Nice sustain up and down and the treble really speaks out.

I think you have a lot to look forward to as the strings finally settle down.

AZ

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
D
D
Competent playing, but I don't care for the piano's tone. However, that may be down to the recording.

rk

Music Teacher (Piano/Theory/Musicianship)
Swarth, I liked your piano and your playing! Definitely a warmer tone than I'm used to with my C7, but a nice tone indeed.

It would have been nicer if some of the wayward unisons were touched up before the recording, but it still sounded good.

I say enjoy your piano, and keep it up for sale if that is what you want to do with it. It is a fabulous piano, and I think the rebuild turned out great! And, your M&H piano adventure certainly has an interesting story behind it... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Swarth Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, for the competent remark too, as recording really exposes every little error and I wasn't going for perfection, it was just a test take. Plus I'm not really a solo player, I love the comfort of a bass and a drummer. What I wanted to do was record something before it drifted anymore. After almost 3 hours of tweaking my tech told me to just play the heck out of it and it will settle down, it had drifted down ~3 cents and the unisons at least are not twanging although a few offenders are becoming annoying. I've budgeted for 5-6 tunings over the next year, the next being after the weather changes in November. Also we are installing a whole house humidifier as things dry up a bit much here in the winter. This has my wife's full approval as it should help with her dry cracking skin.

Recording a Concert Grand is a new one for me and recording one is certainly a challenge. I've only tried about 20 or so placements. This one used a Rode NTV tube condenser over the treble section and a Senheiser 421 towards the Bass, spaced about 6 feet and 4 feet above the sound board. It provided a bit of room ambience, but I would prefer to open it up even more. The room is too live for that now and there is a "shiny" resonance around 2K that must be tamed. I'll keep experimenting, but until we get the spectrum analyzer in here it's just guesswork. I'll play around with close micing a bit more but first attempts produced more percussiveness than I like. My mic selection is rather thin in Omni's , but an Earthworks type system might be an option.

You bought and rebuilt the piano with the hopes of reselling it?

Swarth Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

The truth is I rescued the piano from certain destruction and my original plan was to rebuild it and donate it to my church. They didn't want it. It wasn't much of a decision. If I was able to sell it I had another piano I wanted purchase, if not the worst that could happen is I'm stuck with a 9 foot CC2 that will hold it's value well over my costs for many years. What I learned most of all is what a mistake it would have been to sell it at what I was asking for.

Originally Posted by Swarth
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

The truth is I rescued the piano from certain destruction and my original plan was to rebuild it and donate it to my church. They didn't want it. It wasn't much of a decision. If I was able to sell it I had another piano I wanted purchase, if not the worst that could happen is I'm stuck with a 9 foot CC2 that will hold it's value well over my costs for many years. What I learned most of all is what a mistake it would have been to sell it at what I was asking for.
Are you the poster who found this piano is some shack on a mountain a while ago and then ran a contest(with organic coffee as the prize for the first PW poster who could guess the piano from some clues?

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I was waiting the whole video to hear some thunderous bass notes - but they never came! It's a lovely piano though.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Looks like you got yourself a heck of a nice piano!

Swarth Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by ando
I was waiting the whole video to hear some thunderous bass notes - but they never came! It's a lovely piano though.

No thundering bass and while it can thunder the bass balances with the rest of the piano. You almost have to coax it out to be more assertive. When you call for it, the presence of 9 feet of bass strings pretty much envelopes you.

M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Verum non modo perceptionem

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I think it sounds warm. Of course, I liked your playing a lot too.

I agree that being stuck with a concert grand isn't the worst thing in the world, though I'm probably biased because I'd love to adopt some strays myself smile.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I had a chance two years ago to adopt a Mason-Hamlin CC which needed a lot of work but just didn't think I could afford the total costs. Seeing yours, I get a few pangs of regret for the road not taken, but I think I made the only choice I could. Enjoy your wonderful piano!

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Chopinlover49
I had a chance two years ago to adopt a Mason-Hamlin CC which needed a lot of work but just didn't think I could afford the total costs. Seeing yours, I get a few pangs of regret for the road not taken, but I think I made the only choice I could. Enjoy your wonderful piano!

Ummm... I don't think you could place a 9 ft. in the space your 7 ft. occupies. Do you?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
N
N
I'm used to M&H's sounding somewhat more bold and projecting than yours. It almost sounds like the hammers are undersized or purposefully voiced for a more mellow tone. Yes? No? As you say, it may be the room and microphone... but I have to ask: You mentioned a hard time selling it. Was the piano that much out of tune when auditioned by prospects? My guess is that with a few more tunings and maybe another touch up voicing session it will be a very nice instrument.

Doug

Anyone know about the 1920's "Mighty Wurlitzer" theatre pipe organs? Click here: www.wrtos.org or here: www.atos.org
listening to it right now, very nice !!

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Rich;

At the time, I still lived exclusively in New York and had a large place for it. Don't now, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission