2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 26 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 25 26
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
In my understanding SCM seems to have more in common with Kawai's PHI than SN. It models the dynamic range into a fine grained , smooth range from pppp to ffff. In addition to that come string resonance, hammer hardness, damper resonance etc. Same parameters as in the virtual technician of Kawai. But the decay and sustain phase seems purely sample-playback in terms of length and content. Roland SN keeps on altering / alternating spectral components in the sustain phase, where PHI and SCM have a more static playback once the key is struck. At least that's what I understand from all the information up till now...

Effectively your correct

By the way does Yamaha use 88 key sampling as a starting base on the latest boards and/or for the new CFX set ?

While there certainly has been 88 key sampled versions of 4 Yamaha pianos that have been recorded all are yet to appear in a actual board. The CFX may or may not change that as I can't detect stretched notes in Yamaha's pianos without software help.

In the end it's the ears that decide not the technical underpinning.

correct

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by anotherscott
People seem to be discussing SCM without having looked into what Yamaha says it does.

From the CP1/5 downloadable brochure:

The Spectral Component Modeling system starts with a fundamentally different tone generation system than Yamaha has ever used before. This system allows physical components of the instrument (hardness of the hammers, resonance of the sound board, striking position of the hammers) to be modeled. It also uses a complete different method of playback than normal sampling technology. Rather than multi-velocity layers of samples, SCM uses granular parametric data so every nuance of the player’s touch is translated into expressive tone.

So it sounds a bit closer to Roland's (non-V) SN than people are giving it credit for. Like SN, it appears to be using modeling rather than multiple layers of samples to address velocity.

Also of possible interest, in another one of Yamaha's downloadable brochures, they said this:

The CP1 is equipped with an SCM (Spectral Component Modeling) tone generator. The truth is, this name doesn’t just refer to one tone generation method. Daisuke Miura, who worked on the tone generator modeling, explained it like this: “Spectral component modeling” is used to symbolically refer to a group of characteristics of this system. With frequency characteristic analysis (spectral), the CP1 can create natural and real sounds based on the speed with which the performer presses the keys. The piano types, effects, and amp all use modeling technology (modeling), and you can combine these elements to create your own unique customizations (component).

Mr. Ide told us that “technically, other than the fact that they are all produced using a modeling tone generator, the technologies that are used for each of the piano types are different.”

Does the CP1/5/50 handle velocity layers differently to the CP300/33?..yes.

Are there underlying Multi-velocity samples ?.. yes

Does the Tyros/Motif/CVP "articulations" technology and VCM modeling Yamaha use operate in a similar way? ...yes

SCM is Marketing speak for something Yamaha has been doing on many boards for quite some time.

Regardless I still prefer the Yamaha sound over most others (Excepting the Studio Grand of course).
I just don't think the technical limitations of the Yamaha systems translates into poor DP's. They sound very good indeed.

Last edited by Dr Popper; 09/11/13 08:07 PM.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is a bit off topic, so let me apologize now.

It has been fun following this thread. But I am not interested in a stage piano. What I really would like to see is a successor to the P-155 with the CFX piano. But for the price, maybe the CP4 is the logical successor (of course without speakers).

I am looking forward to all of your reviews of the CP4. And thank you for the informative discussion.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by scorpio
This is a bit off topic, so let me apologize now.

It has been fun following this thread. But I am not interested in a stage piano. What I really would like to see is a successor to the P-155 with the CFX piano. But for the price, maybe the CP4 is the logical successor (of course without speakers).

I am looking forward to all of your reviews of the CP4. And thank you for the informative discussion.

I agree with you on the P-155 Scorpio. i've been watching for an updated P-155, but i now wonder if it is meant to be. seems that the CP40 derivative at a lower price point (below $1500?..), and the P-105 on the low end doesn't leave a lot of room for another board priced around $1000. But that still might be Yamaha's strategy- to cover price points about 400-500 bucks apart. they seem to have a Toyota-like strategy of swamping the market with a lot of models.

EDIT: actually i re-read this blog and the CP40 has MAP of $1699 per the Yamaha rep. so there certainly is room for a board between the p-105 price point and the cp-40. The spread between the cp4 and the cp40 seems pretty tight, as in the cp40 being overpriced. i would imagine they would keep the CFX sample out of the p-155 as it helps justify the move to the higher price points for the person purely interested in the AP/EP samples.

Last edited by bfb; 09/12/13 08:32 AM.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
A
A
Spectral Component Modeling

Frankly we can understand how people are confused by the Spectral Component Modeling system because it is not one individual technology, but a system.

It's easiest to understand by breaking down the words.

Full Spectral Component Modeling (all three words) is used ONLY on the tine and reed models. Full Spectral Modeling means that those EP sounds DO NOT have velocity layers and we challenge anyone to to find them because they simply don't exist. There are continuous spectral changes across the entire range of velocities which are not based on sample switching , but windowed spectral data.

Component Modeling is used through out the CP 4 and 40 Stage series and as the words imply means that certain components of the sound are modeled. For example another part of the component modeling of the EPs is the ability to adjust the tine position. This technology is similar to the FDSP technology found in the EX5 years ago. So this is Component Modeling of the tine pickup position.

The acoustic pianos and other sounds feature component modeling where aspects of the sound are modeled. Some of these component aspects (for example Note Off or Sound Board Resonance), Roland sometimes refers to as Behavior Modeling and are availble in other Yamaha product that feature Advanced Articulation. Others are more DSP oriented and unique to SCM systems, for example there are mic preamp models so you can change the character of the piano by changing which mic preamp model is applied and what the actual EQ settings for the Mic Preamp are. Again this is modeling a component of the sound, but not necessarily modeling the whole sound itself.

At this time we are not using full Spectral Component Modeling on the acoustic pianos or other sounds for technical reasons.

Finally the Virtual Circuit Modeling is pure modeling in that it is mathematical models of resistors and capacitors that are then put together in virtual circuits that emulate vintage stomp box effects. These were developed by Toshi Kunimoto ( Dr. K) who developed the world' s first true physically modeled instrument the VL1 and the Tine position algorithms in FSDP.

It's the combination of all these components that come together and make up the Spectral Component Modeling system.

"Does the CP1/5/50 handle velocity layers differently to the CP300/33?..yes."

Yes, the acoustic pianos have many, many more layers and the EPs use Spectral Component Modeling so there are no velocity splits at all, but continuously changing Spectral windows.

"Are there underlying Multi-velocity samples ?.. yes "

On the acoustic pianos , yes on the EPs no.

"Does the Tyros/Motif/CVP "articulations" technology and VCM modeling Yamaha use operate in a similar way? ...yes"

Those " behavior modeling" technologies are included in the CP4, but Spectral Component Modeling is NOT included in anything, but the CP series at this point.

"SCM is Marketing speak for something Yamaha has been doing on many boards for quite some time."

Actually, no it is unique to the CP1,5,50,4 and 40.

"Regardless I still prefer the Yamaha sound over most others (Excepting the Studio Grand of course).
I just don't think the technical limitations of the Yamaha systems translates into poor DP's. They sound very good indeed."

Thanks, we agree.

Our job is to try and explain some pretty complicated technologies so that people can make informed decisions, but we always agree with those people here who say that the most important thing is how a piano sounds and plays and the best judge is your own ears.

Last edited by Athan Billias; 09/12/13 07:06 PM. Reason: Correction

Director of Marketing
Pro Audio and Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Athan, I..

I think I love you.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Online Content
Seriously, thank you for this detailed explanation!

Keep up the great work!

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
D
Get a room, you two!

I kid, with love...seriously, nice to have reps here.

Yamaha CP33 | Roland XP-30
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I agree.

As to Athan's post, I think it's not only useful to potential CP4 purchasers, but interesting in its own right. It endows the acronym with some background and substance, rather than just being a glib marketing term. The general trend toward candor that we're witnessing is very welcome (James???).

There's just one small point on which I'd like clarification. Athan's post talks of "many, many more" layers for the APs in the CP range compared to the CP300/33. Dewster's DPBSD project identified 3 for the CP50, 4 for the CP5 and 5 for the CP1. Unless his analysis is wrong, or the CP4 is set to break records, this sounds like a touch of hyperbole. Am I missing something here?

Last edited by voxpops; 09/12/13 10:24 AM.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Athan Billias
Frankly we can understand how people are confused by the Spectral Component Modeling system because it is not one individual technology, but a system.

People are confused because Yamaha hasn't been clear regarding what SCM is or how it applies to the various voices. This has led to endless speculation that the AP voices are at least partially modeled (ala Roland SN) which has, perhaps inadvertently, worked in Yamaha's favor.

Full Spectral Component Modeling (all three words) is used ONLY on the tine and reed models. Full Spectral Modeling means that those EP sounds DO NOT have velocity layers and we challenge anyone to to find them because they simply don't exist. There are continuous spectral changes across the entire range of velocities which are not based on sample switching , but windowed spectral data.

Component Modeling is used through out the CP 4 and 40 Stage series and as the words imply means that certain components of the sound are modeled. For example another part of the component modeling of the EPs is the ability to adjust the tine position. This technology is similar to the FDSP technology found in the EX5 years ago. So this is Component Modeling of the tine pickup position.

This is 100% as I suspected, SCM applies mainly to the EPs.

The acoustic pianos and other sounds feature component modeling where aspects of the sound are modeled. Some of these component aspects (for example Note Off or Sound Board Resonance), Roland sometimes refers to as Behavior Modeling and are availble in other Yamaha product that feature Advanced Articulation. Others are more DSP oriented and unique to SCM systems, for example there are mic models so you can change the character of the piano by changing which mic model is applied. Again this is modeling a component of the sound, but not necessarily modeling the whole sound itself.

At this time we are not using full Spectral Component Modeling on the acoustic pianos or other sounds for technical reasons.

This also is 100% as I suspected, the APs are not modeled in the conventional sense of the word.

Thanks for finally clearing that up!

So when can we expect to see an unstretched, unlooped DP from Yamaha?

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
"....and the EPs use Spectral Component Modeling so there are no velocity splits at all, but continuously changing Spectral windows. "

In my understanding that's what PHI does as well on the Kawai's. And of course SN for the Rolands. But what this first part of the sentence means is unclear to me:

"Yes, the acoustic pianos have many, many more layers..."

And are these layers on the AP's also smoothed out over the layer transitions , like Kawai/ Casio / Studiologic or Roland , or not (like Korg) ?

I expect the layer transitions to be inaudible when you go up in the dynamic scale, but ask anyway , cause after the excellent and lengthy explanation that's the only part that's not totally clear to me. Just nitpicking ;-)

P.s. is the website up yet ?

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by JFP
P.s. is the website up yet ?

1:00pm (PST) today, I believe.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by voxpops
There's just one small point on which I'd like clarification. Athan's post talks of "many, many more" layers for the APs in the CP range compared to the CP300/33. Dewster's DPBSD project identified 3 for the CP50, 4 for the CP5 and 5 for the CP1. Unless his analysis is wrong, or the CP4 is set to break records, this sounds like a touch of hyperbole. Am I missing something here?

My analysis reports visible / audible layer transitions, so it's only a minimum and there could possibly be input from other layers I'm not detecting.

I don't know all the ins and outs, but if there's room for "many, many more layers" in the ROM then why not use some of that room to instead eliminate the stretching (which is fairly significant over the high and low ends)?

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by JFP
"....and the EPs use Spectral Component Modeling so there are no velocity splits at all, but continuously changing Spectral windows. "

In my understanding that's what PHI does as well on the Kawai's. And of course SN for the Rolands.

I think your understanding goes beyond what is actually known. We don't know exactly what comprises PHI and I haven't seen Kawai or anyone else describe PHI that way. We don't even really know what SN is, although we have a better guess on that because Roland has discussed the technology in slightly greater detail.

T
T
Originally Posted by gvfarns

I think your understanding goes beyond what is actually known. We don't know exactly what comprises PHI and I haven't seen Kawai or anyone else describe PHI that way. We don't even really know what SN is, although we have a better guess on that because Roland has discussed the technology in slightly greater detail.

[Linked Image]

grin

-- Just kidding, gvfarns. I couldn't resist a "Game of Thrones" meme, here.

Last edited by Tritium; 09/12/13 12:19 PM.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Lol.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

T
T

Yikes!! $2,200 USD street price (direct).

Nothing against the quality of this new Yamaha product (I love Yamaha products)...

However, I don't think Kawai nor Roland will be sweating too much...and Casio is probably wringing their hands together with a sinister grin. In fact, I bet Casio is looking very hard at developing a new DP that puts it in the $1500-2000 price category.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Tritium

Yes, and isn't that exactly the price that was predicted ? So where's the 'Yikes' surprise coming from ?

Last edited by JFP; 09/12/13 02:30 PM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Tritium

Nothing against the quality of this new Yamaha product (I love Yamaha products)...

However, I don't think Kawai nor Roland will be sweating too much...

I think this will end up being generally a better board for less money than a Roland RD-700NX or a Nord Piano 2 (either version). It is a bit more than the Kawai MP10, but a lot more people would consider gigging with a 38.5 lb board than a 70 lb board.

But for the more budget conscious, Yamaha will also offer the the only slightly less capable CP40 for $1700.

http://www.kraftmusic.com/digital-pianos-and-keyboards/digital-pianos/yamaha/cp-series/cp40/

That will go pretty well against the Roland FP50, RD300NX, Kawai MP6.

All in all, I think this is a very competitive product announcement.

Page 9 of 26 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission