2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2145998 09/07/13 08:26 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I'm a graduate student and currently I have a 6'2" Grotrian Studio 192, but soon I will be moving back with my fiance's parents until our wedding and the climate control can swing by up to twenty degrees. Currently, the piano has a Dampp-Chaser. I was wondering if there are any concerns or precautions I should be taking to ensure that the piano stays in good condition?

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Daniel,

Will the piano be left unattended and for how long will it remain that way? Hopefully, it will remain in a climate controlled environment and the D-C system will be running and the water reservoir kept filled. Trusted friends only!

If it will be for a long period, you might check out storage with a dealer or rebuilder who offers humidity controlled storage.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Dear Daniel,
Humidity variations are more damaging than temperature swings for pianos. Extremes of hot and cold affect the tuning. They can also put the piano under stress with the effects of contraction and expansion. Excessive heat will also dry out the piano which can have unfortunate consequences. Ideally, the piano's environment should be stable without either large humidity fluctuations or big swings in the temperature.
However, I would add that pianos are robust instruments and can endure some less than ideal environmental conditions. The environmental conditions are not always perfect for a piano in a home and we should always try to take some common sense precautions to protect our piano such as keeping the instrument out of direct sunlight, closing windows in wet humid weather and compensating for the drying effects of central heating.

Good luck!

Robert.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Keeping it closed, covered (if possible), watered, and in a decent (and stable) humidity range is key, as mentioned above.

Having someone who will actually mind your DC system while you're gone is important if the place is exceptionally dry or humid. I've had friends/neighbors with good intentions do a lousy job of watching the piano and room humidifiers while I'm gone over winter break, for example...

However, this level of OCD maintenance is far more critical here in Wisconsin than it ever was when I lived farther south in a more moderate year-round climate.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
D
OP Offline
D
I will actually be with the piano. I was more concerned about the quality of in-house climate control affecting the system. I will be in the Chicagoland area, so the temperature outside is definitely volatile. Most of my money will be going toward student loan debt, but if I need to plan for upgrading the house's climate control, I will in order to take care of the Grotrian.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Daniel,

Since you already have a D-C system, you might consider a full piano cover or undercover and string cover.

Here is an option for piano covers. They are custom made and you can get it skirted to the floor. Surprisingly, they are not very expensive.

http://howardpianoindustries.com/piano-accessories/grand-piano-covers.html

Also, they have excellent prices on D-C supplies.

Keep us posted.

Marty in Minnesota

M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Mason & Hamlin recommends leaving the fallboard up to allow for air circulation around the keys. I would think, even with a full piano cover, this would still be a good idea on any piano. Thoughts?

D
OP Offline
D
Is there a particular cover you would recommend for the 192? My main concern is that none of them are sized for the Studio 192 and I would hate to purchase something that doesn't fit. Also, I am curious as to the answer to Mwm's question. Thank you all for being so helpful, by the way!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Daniel,

The company I mentioned does custom covers. They may have a template for your Grotrian already, as indicated by their text. Check with them directly.

As I mentioned previously, it would be best to get a cover that extends to the floor and it is one of the options available.

I don't know about the M&H recommendations for the fallboard, but it contradicts what most manufacturers and technicians recommend. When ivory keys were used, it was recommended to keep the keys from yellowing. D-C Piano Life Saver recommends keeping the piano closed when not in use.

Marty in Minnesota

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission