2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
OP Offline
S
hi everyone
Looking for some actual sources, not opinionsthat address the importance of learning Bach in the early years of study, especially in higher education. For example, many institutes require prelude and fugues, and/or all the 2 & 3 part inventions in the first year(s).

Does anyone know of any books or articles that discuss this?

Please don't clog up this thread with "it's the independency of lines musically and technically blablabla"...I know...I don't care, I just need academic sources. Thanks!

Prokofiev Seventh
Franck Prelude, Choral and Fugue
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
In the US, there is almost no agreement and certainly no organized effort to suggest or enforce such a curriculum.

If you polled college professors in the US and asked them, I'm almost sure they'd all say "it's the independency of lines musically and technically blablabla" Either that, or they'd point out that Beethoven was taught Bach as a youngster, so we should do that, too... (more blablablablabla...)

I can't even think of an academic journal that would publish such an article. It's a little too specific for JRME, and the audience isn't quite right for AMT or Clavier Companion (neither of which are academic journals anyway), and nobody really writes or reads the peer-reviewed MTNA eJournal. It might be treated in the USC online journal, but it's not widely read.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Steve,

I'm rather curious why you'd want to approach the question that way.

Do you doubt the efficacy of assigning Bach during the years of study? Or do you wonder why it's required on college-level auditions?

Myself, I think that it's required audition rep because it's very difficult to make that kind of thing sound like music. College-level teachers are only interested in considering students that can make it sound like...something.

No, that's not going to show up in an academic journal. But then again, why do you want a citation in a music journal? It's not going to have a strong basis in science anyway, if that's what you're looking for.

M
M
Originally Posted by Steve Armstrong
hi everyone
Looking for some actual sources, not opinionsthat address the importance of learning Bach in the early years of study, especially in higher education. For example, many institutes require prelude and fugues, and/or all the 2 & 3 part inventions in the first year(s).

Please don't clog up this thread with "it's the independency of lines musically and technically blablabla"...I know...I don't care, I just need academic sources. Thanks!

Are you writing a paper on this subject?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Good luck finding 'actual sources' that do not reflect opinions on this or any other topic.

Learner
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Good luck finding 'actual sources' that do not reflect opinions on this or any other topic.

Nicely put! smirk

I don't have any actual sources, either, but I do have plenty of opinions on this subject, with which I could easily "clog up" the thread.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
What an arrogant way of posing the question.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
hFor example, many institutes require prelude and fugues, and/or all the 2 & 3 part inventions in the first year(s).

Do they?? Never heard of this...

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally Posted by Morodiene
hi everyone

Are you writing a paper on this subject?

Yeah, I got the distinct impression that Mr. Armstrong was asking us to do his homework for him. wink

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
hi everyone
Looking for some actual sources, not opinionsthat address the importance of learning Bach in the early years of study, especially in higher education.

This reminds me of George Carlin talking about "jumbo shrimp"...which is it, Jumbo or Shrimp?

In other words are you asking about "early years of study" (elementary) or the later years of study (college).

I would think that "early years of study" rules out college studies. Perhaps the OP misunderstood his assignment.

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Why do they call them apartments when they're all attached to one another?

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by KurtZ

laugh

Does anyone know the answer? Please do not give opinions. I only want academic sources cited.

S
OP Offline
S
wow you are all really blowing this way out of proportion. Stop looking too far into it and making assumptions and jumping to conclusions. My question doesn't even express an opinion. I'm not questioning any institutes' methods, or whatever. Mr. Armstrong does not in fact have an assignment or a paper. I simply asked if anyone knows of any sources that discuss this topic, that's it. There are similar ideas to this such as playing Hanon. Rachmaninoff said in his first year, all students had to play every Hanon exercise in every key at ridiculous tempi. I just wanted to know if there is any discussion about Bach specifically in the first year (or any year really). Is that so hard?

I'd expect everybody's opinions would be the similar if not the same to any text - that's not the point. But hey who knows, a source might even say Bach isn't important! Again, not the point. Just want to find a published source that discusses/addresses/mentions the topic. I'm not looking for sources that contradict opinions, or support! God.

There's that many GD posts here that talk about Bach in early years at least with beginners with the Bach minuets. It was required of me to learn a prelude and fugue in first year of tertiary studies but I didn't have to choose one of Bach's. I know a former pupil of Michelangeli who said that she could play all of Rachmaninoff's concertos but when she began studies with Michelangeli, he made her "start over" with Bach inventions. I have also read about the topic in the Etude magazine - I think it was - but can't find it again! Well all know the benefits of learning Bach, again, I'm just looking for a source that discusses it.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions then great, if not, you don't need to say anything. Mocking and making snide remarks isn't helpful. If it makes you feel better about yourself, well then I suppose it is helpful to somebody.

Thank you all for making my experience here with this community a very positive, fruitful and rewarding one. (Yes, you would be correct in assuming that was sarcasm)

Prokofiev Seventh
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Mocking and making snide remarks isn't helpful. If it makes you feel better about yourself, well then I suppose it is helpful to somebody.

Thank you all for making my experience here with this community a very positive, fruitful and rewarding one. (Yes, you would be correct in assuming that was sarcasm)
Well, it's possible that the tone of your request might have had something to do with the tone of the replies. It did seem somewhat blunt and demanding.
Please don't clog up this thread with "it's the independency of lines musically and technically blablabla"...I know...I don't care, I just need academic sources.

Du holde Kunst...
S
OP Offline
S
well sure it could be interpreted that way. It's hard to be sure about tone.

Prokofiev Seventh
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
I know a former pupil of Michelangeli who said that she could play all of Rachmaninoff's concertos but when she began studies with Michelangeli, he made her "start over" with Bach inventions. I have also read about the topic in the Etude magazine - I think it was - but can't find it again! Well all know the benefits of learning Bach, again, I'm just looking for a source that discusses it.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions then great, if not, you don't need to say anything. Mocking and making snide remarks isn't helpful. If it makes you feel better about yourself, well then I suppose it is helpful to somebody.

I myself am not familiar enough with the topic to be able to [yet] personally direct you to textual resources, however, I do keep this thread bookmarked which discusses Bach's 2+3part inventions in detail - both how they were written with the purpose of being compositional exercises (and not specifically technical ones) and how they may best be taught/learned. There's also a nice link to another thread regarding ornamentation of the inventions. See here: http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,2714.msg23310.html#msg23310

Also, perhaps one of these pedagogical texts on technique might provide a more objective analysis of Bach's works and the pedagogical value contained therein: http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,4385.msg41226.html#msg41226

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks bobpickle! Maybe not quite what I'm looking for but looks interesting anyway. Will have to go through them smile

Prokofiev Seventh
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky
Originally Posted by KurtZ

laugh

Does anyone know the answer? Please do not give opinions. I only want academic sources cited.

Well played Ann, well played.

As long as were here: Why do we drive on the parkway but park on the driveway?

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
M
M
wow you are all really blowing this way out of proportion. Stop looking too far into it and making assumptions and jumping to conclusions. My question doesn't even express an opinion. I'm not questioning any institutes' methods, or whatever. Mr. Armstrong does not in fact have an assignment or a paper. I simply asked if anyone knows of any sources that discuss this topic, that's it. There are similar ideas to this such as playing Hanon. Rachmaninoff said in his first year, all students had to play every Hanon exercise in every key at ridiculous tempi. I just wanted to know if there is any discussion about Bach specifically in the first year (or any year really). Is that so hard?

I'd expect everybody's opinions would be the similar if not the same to any text - that's not the point. But hey who knows, a source might even say Bach isn't important! Again, not the point. Just want to find a published source that discusses/addresses/mentions the topic. I'm not looking for sources that contradict opinions, or support! God.

There's that many GD posts here that talk about Bach in early years at least with beginners with the Bach minuets. It was required of me to learn a prelude and fugue in first year of tertiary studies but I didn't have to choose one of Bach's. I know a former pupil of Michelangeli who said that she could play all of Rachmaninoff's concertos but when she began studies with Michelangeli, he made her "start over" with Bach inventions. I have also read about the topic in the Etude magazine - I think it was - but can't find it again! Well all know the benefits of learning Bach, again, I'm just looking for a source that discusses it.

Many of the teachers on this forum are professionals who usually get paid to give out information. We come on here to help one another when we can in spite of this fact. I would think one would be satisfied and happy with whatever information is given, and not sour and demanding. It certainly would give us motivation to assist you.

With this attitude and the one in the original post, I for one, do not feel inclined to help. Good luck in your research.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
...My question doesn't even express an opinion..

Clearly entirely unbiased. Like the Fox network.

Learner
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission