2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
they start dying off from the age of 25 or so. Albert Frantz is the proof of a pianist who developed virtuoso technique late.

J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Jorleyy
Actually, he says he really did start at the age of 17. When he was a kid, his mother took him to a few piano lessons, but he never learned how to play back then, because the teacher told him he would never be able to play. Then, at 17, he discovered classical music and started playing, and after a year, he could play Rhapsody in Blue.

Um, yeah, right...

J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
You don't believe it or you know it isn't true? If so, show me a link that says he could play the piano before the age of 17. The link I showed you above says he started at 17; he says it himself.

J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
You don't believe it or you know it isn't true? If so, show me a link that says he could play the piano before the age of 17. The link I showed you above says he started at 17; he says it himself.

The world of pianists (not just classical) is divided into those who claim that they climbed up onto the piano stool at the age of one, and played 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star' (or even Mozart's variations on it wink ) at the age of one - by ear, with no help - and those who claim that they'd never even seen a keyboard before they became virtuosi at 20, just a few months after touching one for the first time.

You pays yer money......

If music be the food of love, play on!
J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
So you believe his statements are false?

wr #2145160 09/06/13 09:31 AM
J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by peekay
Albert Franz only started playing piano when he was 17. Four years later he was winning major competitions:

http://www.dailydreama.com/2012/12/02/world-class-pianist-albert-frantz-started-at-the-age-of-17/

So a 19 year old who was "one of the best pianists in his country" at 16 cannot be ruled out, assuming he has that burning desire to succeed and the relentless work ethic that is required. Plus, a world-class teacher to guide him.

It's a misrepresentation to say he "only started playing piano when he was 17". In fact, he says he was playing by ear in pre-school. And he had some experience with lessons with several teachers by the time he was 17. What happened at 17 is that through yet another teacher, he discovered that he liked Gershwin, and found he was able to learn, mostly by ear, Rhapsody in Blue.

But the fact of the matter is that he actually had some kind of experience with the piano even as a toddler, and, regardless of how he felt about them, the truth is that he also had some piano lessons before he was 17.

By the way, which major piano competitions did he win? A quick google didn't turn up anything major.

What you are saying is true. But at what level could he play the piano? Almost no level from what I've heard. He could learn easy pieces by ear, that's about it. He couldn't even read notes.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by bennevis
I'd certainly love to know of any pianist who developed a true virtuoso technique without having touched a keyboard - any keyboard - before the age of 16. After all, synapses make their connections between neurons rapidly during the formative years - especially in early childhood. And neurons start dying off from early adulthood onwards......

I know of a pianist who started when he was 17 and went on to earn a doctorate in piano at USC and enjoy a career teaching in a college.

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis

After all, synapses make their connections between neurons rapidly during the formative years - especially in early childhood. And neurons start dying off from early adulthood onwards......

That's no longer thought to be true, ben. The last 30 years of research show that the brain continues to grown and change throughout life:

1- Neuroplasticity is the quality neurons have of disconnecting old synapses an reconnecting new ones. And the quality continues all the way through to old age provided overall health stays good. Moderate alcohol consumption actually helps encourage this quality of the neurons. Researchers suspect that neuroplasticity is essential to learning.

2- Very recent research shows that stem cells produced by the hypocampus in the mid-brain form new neurons during the entire life cycle.

3- The beneficial effects of various lifestyle habits on brain health has long been recognized. Activities such as regular exercise, a good diet, proper stress management, and continual mental stimulation of a challenging nature maintain the brain's acuity well into old age.

The old saw that it's too late to learn anything if you've over 13 is just that.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
they start dying off from the age of 25 or so. Albert Frantz is the proof of a pianist who developed virtuoso technique late.

Jor, you make it sound like a "virtuoso technique" is rare thing. It's not really, not in this day and age. Since the 1950s, as a matter of fact, it seems that great talent is becoming more and more common. There are more and more young people entering colleges and conservatories these days playing at a very high level than ever before, not less. Which is a pity, because there are fewer and fewer opportunities every year for them to launch a career.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Bobpickle
Brain development is there? You mean that the brain still develops at 19? smile

The Prefrontal Cortex

I found nothing on when the brain stops to develop...

Oh, sorry. I figured an article on the topic couldn't not mention the age at which the part of the brain stops developing. It's 25 from all accounts I've heard and read.

At any rate, focus less on his age and more on the fact that Albert Frantz had several world-class teachers - something very few people can discern between and/or have access to. With proper instruction, [b]anyone[/b] can learn to play, but without it, only a dedicated few statistically can, if any (with as wrong as intuition is in self-teaching).

I played a little piano as a kid (what my Mom showed me) but couldn't read music and couldn't sit still in piano lessons that lasted a few weeks.

I picked up piano again when I was 26 years old and now I'm 27. What are my chances?

smile

Whatever the internet thinks, I'll see you at the Van Cliburn competition in 3 years. laugh

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Roland The Beagle
I played a little piano as a kid (what my Mom showed me) but couldn't read music and couldn't sit still in piano lessons that lasted a few weeks.

I picked up piano again when I was 26 years old and now I'm 27. What are my chances?

smile

Whatever the internet thinks, I'll see you at the Van Cliburn competition in 3 years. laugh

Will you be in the audience or on stage?

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/
NeilOS #2146188 09/08/13 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by NeilOS
Originally Posted by Roland The Beagle

smile

Will you be in the audience or on stage?

I'll be judging those on stage. Ziing.

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission