2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
:oDoes anyone know of a good book of Bach's Preludes for a low intermediate player? laugh

Roderick T. Beaman

The things you do in your todays are your legacy for all of your tomorrows.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Do you mean the Little Preludes, the Preludes from the Well-Tempered Clavier, or something else?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Low intermediate can mean a lot of things. When I think low intermediate, I think of the Anna Magdalena notebooks rather than any of the preludes.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
"Low intermediate" doesn't mean anything - it's just relative to something else. And I definitely think the WTC preludes would not fit into ANYONE'S definition of low intermediate. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
If you are early intermediate (which, as others pointed out, is quite different depending on who you're talking to), chances are the Little Preludes would be too difficult. WTC would be way out of that league. Anna Magdalena Notebook pieces would be good to study, however. Are you interested in playing just Bach, Baroque music in general, or finding some challenging music that is similar to what Baroque pieces offer?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P
You can try Little Prelude in C Major BWV 939 (see Google). BWV 939 is not one of the Six Little Preludes but its melody will be instantly recognizable.

BWV 939 should not be confused with Little Prelude in C Major BWV 933 (which is one of the Six Little Preludes).

BWV 939 is suitable for intermediate players, which for reference would be RCM Grade 5 or ABRSM Grade 3.

The other prelude, BWV 933, is considerably more difficult. Basically if you can play the 933 piece, you can probably sight-read the 939 piece. (On the other hand, if you can play the WTC preludes, you can probably sight-read BWV 933).

Working on RCM Grade 9
M
M
Originally Posted by peekay
You can try Little Prelude in C Major BWV 939 (see Google). BWV 939 is not one of the Six Little Preludes but its melody will be instantly recognizable.

BWV 939 should not be confused with Little Prelude in C Major BWV 933 (which is one of the Six Little Preludes).

BWV 939 is suitable for intermediate players, which for reference would be RCM Grade 5 or ABRSM Grade 3.

The other prelude, BWV 933, is considerably more difficult. Basically if you can play the 933 piece, you can probably sight-read the 939 piece. (On the other hand, if you can play the WTC preludes, you can probably sight-read BWV 933).
Depending on what "low intermediate" means, BWV 939 is still challenging - Grade 5 RCM is IMO intermediate as you indicated. This piece presents a lot more equality and independence in the hands than you'd get in AMB notebook pieces.

So I guess the real question for the OP is what pieces can you play well right now? That will help us in suggesting appropriate pieces for your level.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
BWV 999 in C minor is worth having a look at.It looks and sounds more difficult than it actually is because the figures repeat a lot.It's either ABRSM grade 3 or 4, probably 4 I would think.It's a really nice piece as well.

R
OP Offline
R
I was given a prelude to play by a teacher & now have it down pretty well but I have no idea which one it is. I am approaching Bach's Prelude in C Major in Carl Humphries' Piano Handbook and am now tackling Beethoven's Fur Elise. I have a Bach Musette down pretty well & Schumann's Humming Song down pretty well.

I apologize because I may have opened up something and not known exactly what i was doing. I just enjoy the Preludes I've heard.

I extend my heartfelt thanks for the evidently heartfelt help everyone has tried to be.

Roderick T. Beaman

Bwv's

1007 piano version

Imlsp is your friend.

R
OP Offline
R
At the risk of making a further fool of myself, what do BMV & Imlsp mean?

Roderick T. Beaman

M
M
Originally Posted by Roderick T Beaman
At the risk of making a further fool of myself, what do BMV & Imlsp mean?
You are not a fool! I think the problem is that with terms like "intermediate" or "advanced" etc., no one knows what that means really. Everyone's opinion is different. So the best way we can help you, is for you to let us know what you are currently able to play well.

BWV stands for "Bach-Werke-Verzeichnis", or Bach Works Catalog. They are numbers, similar to opus numbers that have been assigned to every piece written by J.S. Bach. It's a way to distinguish between all of his keyboard preludes, for example.

IMSLP is imslp.org, a website full of public domain music. These are publishers that for whatever reason have lost their copyright license to works they've published, and are therefore free for the taking.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
OP Offline
R
smile
Thank you very much. And I've just looked at the top of the sheet music I've been playing and the label of my printout & the Prelude I've been playing is in C major. I'm doing pretty well with it with the metronome set at about 110 per minute.
Hope that gives some insight?

I am just starting Fur Elise @ 70 per minute.

Roderick T. Beaman

M
M
smile
Thank you very much. And I've just looked at the top of the sheet music I've been playing and the label of my printout & the Prelude I've been playing is in C major. I'm doing pretty well with it with the metronome set at about 110 per minute.
Hope that gives some insight?

I am just starting Fur Elise @ 70 per minute.
Are these the only two pieces you've ever played?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
OP Offline
R
smile
No. I've also done the previous parts of Carl Humphries' The Piano Handbook. The pieces have gotten progressively more difficult & have included Greensleeves, Schumann's The Humming Song, A Bach Musette, Haydn's This Dance and a couple of pieces by Henry Purcell.

I also play a few songs like Mack the Knife, Until It's time for You to Go, Hey Jude & My Girl & use Beginning Blues Piano by Eric Kriss.

smile

Last edited by Roderick T Beaman; 09/05/13 09:22 PM.

Roderick T. Beaman

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Morodiene
IMSLP is imslp.org, a website full of public domain music. These are publishers that for whatever reason have lost their copyright license to works they've published...

Because the copyright has expired. That's the reason. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
M
smile
No. I've also done the previous parts of Carl Humphries' The Piano Handbook. The pieces have gotten progressively more difficult & have included Greensleeves, Schumann's The Humming Song, A Bach Musette, Haydn's This Dance and a couple of pieces by Henry Purcell.

I also play a few songs like Mack the Knife, Until It's time for You to Go, Hey Jude & My Girl & use Beginning Blues Piano by Eric Kriss.

smile
You may want to try the Little Preludes then, still a bit of a reach, but should be manageable. They're a good way to get take you to an intermediate level. smile

Here is a book I use for those:
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Bach-Eighteen-Little-Preludes/290056

Last edited by Morodiene; 09/05/13 09:30 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
smile

smile
You may want to try the Little Preludes then, still a bit of a reach, but should be manageable. They're a good way to get take you to an intermediate level. smile

Try some Anna Magdalena first.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

This is better.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
P
Going from BWV 939 right to Fur Elise (musically at full speed) is already a decent jump. Most of the Six Little Preludes are yet more difficult than Fur Elise. Doable but hard work I think.

Bach Invention no. 1 is another interesting staple piece at this level.

Working on RCM Grade 9
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission