2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2144617 09/05/13 01:08 PM
J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi everyone! I wonder what you guys think; is it possible for someone who quit playing the piano at age 15-16 to become a professional pianist at the age of 23 or so if he starts again at the age of 19? In other words, he has had a break for three years... When he was 16 he was one of the best pianists in his country for his age so he has the talent and ability... But what I wonder is, do you stop developing when you reach a certain age or is it possible to make up for lost time by training more or just to develop your skills at a more advanced age? What do you guys think, if he practices for lets say 6 hours a day from now, will it still be possible for him to become a professional pianist by the age of 22-23 or is it too late?

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
It is certainly possible. I can think of two examples. One is Arcadi Volodos, though to a lesser degree, because he "restarted" (read: "took it seriously") around 15-16. The second was a past Van Cliburn winner. I can't think of his name off the top of my head -- might be Jon Nakamatsu (1997)? Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was an American. But he stopped playing, and then restarted in his 20s, told his teacher he wanted to win the Cliburn, and then did it.

I am, of course, recalling a story I read over a decade ago, so anyone with more details should feel free to chime in/correct me. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Define "professional pianist".

Gary
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Jorleyy
Hi everyone! I wonder what you guys think; is it possible for someone who quit playing the piano at age 15-16 to become a professional pianist at the age of 23 or so if he starts again at the age of 19? In other words, he has had a break for three years... When he was 16 he was one of the best pianists in his country for his age so he has the talent and ability... But what I wonder is, do you stop developing when you reach a certain age or is it possible to make up for lost time by training more or just to develop your skills at a more advanced age? What do you guys think, if he practices for lets say 6 hours a day from now, will it still be possible for him to become a professional pianist by the age of 22-23 or is it too late?

I am guessing that, given the requisite amount of determination and dedication, he could develop his gifts to a professional level. He would need to build sufficient repertoire and gain performance experience. Developing a career is another matter. Often, opportunities for exposure are weighted in favor of the very young, though 23 is still pretty young. So, if he's determined, it's probably worth a try.

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
It depends on the person. However, coming from someone who's in the same boat and has been seeing results (I performed my first professional engagement with orchestra this summer!!!!) all I can say is you will never forgive yourself if you don't at least try.

Another bit of advice I can give is to say yes to EVERYTHING.

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
what do you mean say "yes" to everything? smile

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Hah! Basically, you should be jumping at any opportunity to perform. Paid or not. You never know who is listening. It could be someone who can make things happen for you. Even if it means accompanying someone. A lot of times accompanying makes you have to learn music very quickly, which is a very valuable skill to have as a pianist.

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Anything is possible all depending on determination.

rada

J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Would you say it's possible in a sport as well? Say, soccer? If one quits at 15-16 and decides to start again at 19 and turn professional at 22 or so if one has the determination and was good at age 15-16?

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Would you say it's possible in a sport as well? Say, soccer? If one quits at 15-16 and decides to start again at 19 and turn professional at 22 or so if one has the determination and was good at age 15-16?

Sport is one great example of of the importance of nature (i.e. genetics) rather than nurture.

There are several examples of sportspeople who took up a particular sport late (as in late teens or early twenties) and became Olympic medallists within a few years. Some of them had performed at very high level (or won medals) in completely different sports beforehand, e.g. boxing and football, fencing and water polo, sailing and ski jumping.....

If music be the food of love, play on!
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I remember reading years ago that the violinist Fritz Kreisler left music for quite a few years to study medicine. He later returned and continued his life as a virtuoso violinist of the highest order. I think if you reached a very high standard before your hiatus, you'd probably fare ok - the brain development is there, the technique has been planted. If you were not highly technically developed before stopping, it would be significantly harder.

J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
The hardest piece that the person had played when he stopped playing was the 1st Ballade by Chopin I think smile

Brain development is there? You mean that the brain still develops at 19? smile

Last edited by Jorleyy; 09/05/13 06:40 PM.
rada #2144801 09/05/13 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by rada
Anything is possible all depending on determination.

rada

The very large number of pianists who are incredibly determined to play a concerto with a major symphony orchestra would disagree.

Determined to learn a major concerto from age 19-23. Yes, that's possible.

Determined to have a career? Perhaps, but it'll take a lot of luck, major changes in the classical music market, and a lot of business savvy.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
P
P
Albert Franz only started playing piano when he was 17. Four years later he was winning major competitions:

http://www.dailydreama.com/2012/12/02/world-class-pianist-albert-frantz-started-at-the-age-of-17/

So a 19 year old who was "one of the best pianists in his country" at 16 cannot be ruled out, assuming he has that burning desire to succeed and the relentless work ethic that is required. Plus, a world-class teacher to guide him.

Working on RCM Grade 9
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B

The Prefrontal Cortex

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Of course, some people's brains stop developing much sooner... grin

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Bobpickle

The Prefrontal Cortex

I found nothing on when the brain stops to develop...

peekay #2145119 09/06/13 08:08 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by peekay
Albert Franz only started playing piano when he was 17. Four years later he was winning major competitions:

http://www.dailydreama.com/2012/12/02/world-class-pianist-albert-frantz-started-at-the-age-of-17/

So a 19 year old who was "one of the best pianists in his country" at 16 cannot be ruled out, assuming he has that burning desire to succeed and the relentless work ethic that is required. Plus, a world-class teacher to guide him.

It's a misrepresentation to say he "only started playing piano when he was 17". In fact, he says he was playing by ear in pre-school. And he had some experience with lessons with several teachers by the time he was 17. What happened at 17 is that through yet another teacher, he discovered that he liked Gershwin, and found he was able to learn, mostly by ear, Rhapsody in Blue.

But the fact of the matter is that he actually had some kind of experience with the piano even as a toddler, and, regardless of how he felt about them, the truth is that he also had some piano lessons before he was 17.

By the way, which major piano competitions did he win? A quick google didn't turn up anything major.

J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Actually, he says he really did start at the age of 17. When he was a kid, his mother took him to a few piano lessons, but he never learned how to play back then, because the teacher told him he would never be able to play. Then, at 17, he discovered classical music and started playing, and after a year, he could play Rhapsody in Blue.

wr #2145130 09/06/13 08:29 AM
B
B
I'd certainly love to know of any pianist who developed a true virtuoso technique without having touched a keyboard - any keyboard - before the age of 16. After all, synapses make their connections between neurons rapidly during the formative years - especially in early childhood. And neurons start dying off from early adulthood onwards......

If music be the food of love, play on!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission