2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by JoelW

Technical and musical difficulties do NOT go hand in hand. You'll come to learn that with more experience. I'm safe in saying that, because any musician WITH a good bit of experience will tell you that they are not intertwined.

The above is a statement with no factual arguments.

You are wrong, stores. At least, in a way. When I say they are intertwined, I mean this:

A passage becomes physically harder the more you attempt to make it sound better. If the musical difficulty is to play fast and loud, that is also the technical difficulty. Not just fast and loud though. Minute control is very difficult technically. If a run calls for quick, fleeting phrasing, and the pianist cannot deliver, s/he will likely resort to using a rubato to compensate for lacking technique. (this is very common in scherzo 4) Therefore, the musical challenge of that phrase is intertwined with the technical challenge.

See?

No, I'm not wrong. Do you even play the piano? I know Mark agreed with you, but that means nothing. He would agree with Satan, to disagree with me.
Whether you realise it, or not, what you wrote above pretty much proves my point.

"Do you even play the piano?" LOL

No, nope.. I don't.

And I think Mark is a pretty honest guy around here. You two butt heads often because more times than not the discussion is opinion based, and yours frequently differ from Mark's. He's not 'out to get you' so to speak. That's just how I see it at least.

By the way, you still have done nothing but make statements with no facts supporting them. Good luck trying to win arguments that way.

Last edited by JoelW; 09/04/13 04:47 AM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
No response to my post about structuring climaxes?

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
No response to my post about structuring climaxes?

I don't really have anything to say in particular because I agree with what you said.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Mark_C
What exactly is the argument here?

Well, it might not be totally clear. smile

As I saw it, what Kuan was saying (essentially) was that the 4th Ballade 'isn't that hard technically.'

Which, as I said (more gently than this), is completely absurd.

BUT, he has "deniability" on it. ha
Because, he didn't 'really' say that. He said the difficulties are more musical than technical, and "most of the sections aren't all that bad technically."

If we look at those things narrowly, arguably he's right.

But I wasn't looking at it narrowly; I was trying to look at it meaningfully. ha

Like, how is it meaningful, if we think we're saying something of any interest and importance, to really only mean that "most of the sections" of the piece aren't that hard technically, if some of them are extremely hard? Why is that worth saying if you only mean it narrowly?

(Kuan, take it!) grin

My two cents:

I'm sick of people comparing technical and musical difficulty as if they're mutually exclusive. They're not. They're intertwined. Any chump can play the coda to the ballade and make it sound bad. It's playing it musically well that makes the technical challenges hard. Technical difficulty and musical difficulty go hand in hand.

Technical and musical difficulties do NOT go hand in hand. You'll come to learn that with more experience. I'm safe in saying that, because any musician WITH a good bit of experience will tell you that they are not intertwined.

Goodness gracious...I could not disagree more.

the 3rd and 4th scherzi are, in my opinion, better compositions than the first two which I believe suffer from structural weaknesses. Even the great Chopin masters can't avoid the feeling of repetitiveness. Again, this is obviously just my opinion.

He "fixes" this in the 3rd scherzo with a much more compact piece which I find to be extremely effective. It also has a mind blowing coda which is one of my absolute favorite endings of Chopin. This along with gorgeous and powerful main themes makes this a staple in my repertoire.

The 4th, while matching the first two in duration (maybe surpassing it, I'm not quite sure) surpasses the first two as far as sheer quality of content. It is a masterpiece on par with the 4th ballade, barcarolle, sonatas, and I'd even put it on the same pedestal as other monumental piano pieces like the Hammerklavier, Bminor sonata (Liszt), Goldberg Variations, etc.

It's one of those pieces that make you wonder what planet Chopin came from lol!

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
May I submit my personal favorite performance of this incredible piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CNYX7OkceA

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Am studying it now... and it's my first big Chopin work

As my teacher said it is technically not as difficult as the rest however musically it is much harder to hold together...not saying that it isn't technically challenging either; there are a few passages which are not that easy to play perfectly& really get a grasp off.

I love it though esp. that minor section in the middle and at the end of that section right before I goes back to the main subject I always get this feeling as if I'm soaring.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by pianist.ame
As my teacher said it is technically not as difficult as the rest...

Then your teacher is delusional.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Although I wouldn't have put it how he did.... ha .....Polyphonist has it right about the piece.

Originally Posted by pianist.ame
....there are a few passages which are not that easy to play perfectly& really get a grasp off.....

Just about everything in the outer sections is very hard to play.

UNLESS, we don't care about tempo, or evenness, or clarity.

Not to mention just plain accuracy. (Unless we don't care about tempo or evenness or clarity.) grin

But don't get me wrong: It's great that you're studying the piece. But there's a lot that you aren't realizing about it if you really think what you said.

Are you sure you didn't somehow misunderstand your teacher??

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
pianist.ame,

Good luck with it. I studied it for a while but decided to put it on the shelf. The descending staccato chords are the hardest part of the entire piece - too hard for me.

Originally Posted by Polyphonist
I'd just like to discuss this piece with whoever's interested, since I'm obsessed with it right now. laugh Favorite passages? Quirky interpretative things? Story to go along with the piece (I came up with a few cheesy ones)? grin

And Mark, if you'd like to rave about the technical difficulty, be my guest. I probably agree with you. ha

What a cretin you are.

R.I.P. Beethoven
As much as I hate to waste a post just with "huh," I have to say (on Poly's behalf, not that he needs my help):

HUH????

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Immortal Beloved
I'd just like to discuss this piece with whoever's interested, since I'm obsessed with it right now. laugh Favorite passages? Quirky interpretative things? Story to go along with the piece (I came up with a few cheesy ones)? grin

And Mark, if you'd like to rave about the technical difficulty, be my guest. I probably agree with you. ha

What a cretin you are.

Get out.

O
O
I think the technical/muscial duality is non sense. Of course we cannot split into 2 mutually exclusive concepts. A different belief may come from the confusion between technical and mechanical concepts.

Mechanical skills are the ability to play scales, arpeggios, thirds, jumps, octaves with minimal effort ... this is just a subset of technical skills. And certainly not the larger part.

But how to play the first 2 lines of the fourth ballade, if you are not backed by amazing technical skills ?
Phrasing the upper part just naturally, managing perfect legato, leaving the background in the background, producing constantly a transparent sound, giving to the bass just the good weight ... this is just horrific. What a technical mastery is needed to do justice to this unreal music...

Last edited by Okay; 09/05/13 12:43 PM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Okay
I think the technical/muscial duality is non sense. Of course we cannot split into 2 mutually exclusive concepts. A different belief may come from the confusion between technical and mechanical concepts.

Mechanical skills are the ability to play scales, arpeggios, thirds, jumps, octaves with minimal effort ... this is just a subset of technical skills. And certainly not the larger part.

But how to play the first 2 lines of the fourth ballade, if you are not backed by amazing technical skills ?
Phrasing the upper part just naturally, managing perfect legato, leaving the background in the background, producing constantly a transparent sound, giving to the bass just the good weight ... this is just horrific. What a technical mastery is needed to do justice to this unreal music...

Good insights. Probably stores is confusing velocity with technique.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Okay

Good insights. Probably stores is confusing velocity with technique.

stores doesn't get confused. He's always right.

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Anybody want to mention favorite passages? I've discussed a few myself-

...One moment that never fails to bring tears to my eyes (when played well) is the section at bar 865, and the transition into the next section at 873. It's one of the most beautiful passages in Chopin, indeed in all piano music. The harmonies are all so perfect, and then that little gesture at 888-889 - it is not just emotion, it transcends emotion, it is in a way otherworldly. Schumann, Liszt, or Brahms, while all great composers in their own right, could never have written this passage.

...another amazing place is the passage at 217, and specifically the incredible moment at 225...The 8 bars starting at 217 are like a little shadow, a cloud passing over the sun, and 225 has that amazing "bursting into the sunlight" feeling that only Chopin could have achieved. This passage also happens to be extremely difficult to pull off convincingly.

Anyone?

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
...One moment that never fails to bring tears to my eyes (when played well) is the section at bar 865, and the transition into the next section at 873. It's one of the most beautiful passages in Chopin, indeed in all piano music. The harmonies are all so perfect, and then that little gesture at 888-889 - it is not just emotion, it transcends emotion, it is in a way otherworldly.

Yes, this it was stunning learning these passages. Once you uncover ever little harmony you see it in a new light. One of the best spots in the piece.

...another amazing place is the passage at 217, and specifically the incredible moment at 225...The 8 bars starting at 217 are like a little shadow, a cloud passing over the sun, and 225 has that amazing "bursting into the sunlight" feeling that only Chopin could have achieved. This passage also happens to be extremely difficult to pull off convincingly.

I like this description. I love how the "burst of sunlight" happens at the very top of the run. It's minor all the way up to the top then BOOM, sudden change of character. And not the mention that left hand chord at the end. What is the theoretical name for this chord? (inverted dominant7 with a 6th?) I used it quite often in my two miniatures. It's my favorite kind of chord.

Schumann, Liszt, or Brahms, while all great composers in their own right, could never have written this passage.

wink

Last edited by JoelW; 09/05/13 07:33 PM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Schumann, Liszt, or Brahms, while all great composers in their own right, could never have written this passage.

wink

?

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

wink

?

?

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
This is one of my favorite Chopin pieces, up there alongside Opus 52, 58, 60, 62, and maybe a few others.

Come to think of it, that would be an interesting thread - favorite pieces for each composer - we could learn a lot about people's personalities from that. laugh Maybe I'll start it. smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission