Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


Who's Online Now
125 registered members (akc42, anotherscott, 9by88, AndyP, Almaviva, 40 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2143800 - 09/04/13 12:00 AM Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position?  
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,818
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member
rintincop  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,818
Which Primer method books keep the RH in C position and LH in F position for the whole book? That's what I want for my kids first book.

Faber changes positions too frequently and that is making my job tougher because my students are not learning to read well enough.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2143805 - 09/04/13 12:36 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,353
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,353
Orange County, CA
Faber changes position too frequently because they figured out the benefits of moving away from middle-C position as soon as possible. Almost all the modern, post-1960 methods do that.


Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
#2143909 - 09/04/13 07:13 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]  
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
Prins Offline
Junior Member
Prins  Offline
Junior Member

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
The Netherlands
Thompsons Easiest piano course, level 1
PreTime Favorites (Faber) supplementary
Hal Leonard lesson book 1

#2143955 - 09/04/13 09:33 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]  
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,269
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member
dumdumdiddle  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,269
California
Middle C position. (Shudder)

I'm puzzle by the statement "my students are not learning to read well enough" when referring to the Faber series. I don't think it's the method that's the issue.




Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
#2143961 - 09/04/13 09:39 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]  
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,639
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,639
Olympia, Washington, USA
If you're building a studio and/or wanting to improve your teaching skills, you will want to consider joining MTNA if you haven't already. Their conferences generally have excellent displays of vendors and teaching materials, which will help you expand beyond the limited number of holdings you generally find in local music stores. MTNA's next conference is in March 2014 and is centrally located in Chicago. I'm not much of a fan of Chicago, having grown up nearby, I generally avoid the place. But John Perry, from the Thorton School of Music, and many others will be presenting. I've attended many of Mr. Perry's masterclasses and miniclasses over the years, and he is one of the "must do" presenters. Health permitting, I'll be there and hope to see many other PW teachers as well.


"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
#2144020 - 09/04/13 11:43 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]  
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,404
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keystring  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,404
Canada
Originally Posted by rintincop

Faber changes positions too frequently and that is making my job tougher because my students are not learning to read well enough.

I'm interested in knowing more about your approach to teaching reading, and how the issue of positions is involved in this. I'd understand that you need the music to stay in one position for your approach to work.

#2144081 - 09/04/13 01:57 PM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: dumdumdiddle]  
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 177
red-rose Offline
Full Member
red-rose  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 177
Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
Middle C position. (Shudder)

I'm puzzle by the statement "my students are not learning to read well enough" when referring to the Faber series. I don't think it's the method that's the issue.

Amen.

#2144276 - 09/04/13 08:32 PM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]  
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,654
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Barb860  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,654
northern California
I like a supplement series titled "The Perfect Start for Note Reading" by Kevin and Julia Olson. OP, you might like this one as it does stay in middle C position through the whole book. It's a new series, FJH publishing.


Piano Teacher
#2144382 - 09/04/13 11:50 PM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: Barb860]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,353
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,353
Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by Barb860
I like a supplement series titled "The Perfect Start for Note Reading" by Kevin and Julia Olson. OP, you might like this one as it does stay in middle C position through the whole book. It's a new series, FJH publishing.

I've used it for one of my slow, slow, slow students. It served its purpose, but I'm afraid my student is even slower than that. I had to find supplement books between 1B and 2A, and then between 2A and 2B.


Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
#2144463 - 09/05/13 04:07 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: red-rose]  
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,090
bzpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bzpiano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,090
Irvine, CA
Originally Posted by red-rose
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
Middle C position. (Shudder)

I'm puzzle by the statement "my students are not learning to read well enough" when referring to the Faber series. I don't think it's the method that's the issue.

Amen.


I disagree.
I did not use Faber's Primer at all because I do not like it.
I keep my brand new student in my own material for 20 lessons before starting them Faber's Lesson 1. Faber's Level 1 (Red Color) and up is pretty good, however, somehow I am very disconnect with Primer Level (Purple color).


Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
#2144531 - 09/05/13 09:01 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: bzpiano]  
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 177
red-rose Offline
Full Member
red-rose  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 177
Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org
Originally Posted by red-rose
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
Middle C position. (Shudder)

I'm puzzle by the statement "my students are not learning to read well enough" when referring to the Faber series. I don't think it's the method that's the issue.

Amen.


I disagree.
I did not use Faber's Primer at all because I do not like it.
I keep my brand new student in my own material for 20 lessons before starting them Faber's Lesson 1. Faber's Level 1 (Red Color) and up is pretty good, however, somehow I am very disconnect with Primer Level (Purple color).
more info was given in the OP which isnt all quoted here - Most modern methods use moving hands in the primer book (right?) anyone is obviously free to dislike the Faber primer, but for the reason that "the moving hands prevents them from learning" or makes it too difficult is a warning flag (imho) that the fault isn't with the method.

#2144553 - 09/05/13 09:51 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]  
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,404
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keystring  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,404
Canada
The OP hasn't come back to the thread yet. I'd think that whatever is being used to teaching reading relies heavily on staying in one position, and relating to that position in some way. So how is reading presently being taught, and how do positions figure into it?

#2144609 - 09/05/13 11:45 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: red-rose]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,353
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,353
Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by red-rose
more info was given in the OP which isnt all quoted here - Most modern methods use moving hands in the primer book (right?) anyone is obviously free to dislike the Faber primer, but for the reason that "the moving hands prevents them from learning" or makes it too difficult is a warning flag (imho) that the fault isn't with the method.

Most of the methods I use get the hands moving across the keyboard early on, and they prevent the kids from staying in one position for too long. Kids should not stay in any position for too long, or else they will start associating finger numbers with certain keys.

Same thing with C position. I had a few transfer students who just had to play the L.H. bass C with a 5 every single time. Even if by the logic of fingering they should arrive at a 2 on bass C, they'll instinctively jump to using a 5 because they've been in C position forever.


Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
#2146077 - 09/07/13 10:26 PM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]  
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 247
Beth_Frances Offline
Full Member
Beth_Frances  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 247
Brisbane, Australia
I think Bastian stays in middle C position, but you will have trouble retaining students if you take the easiest route early on. I think even Faber makes it too easy, which can lead to problems down the track.

Drilling note names (flashcards, getting them to name the notes in a piece before playing it) and intervals will make your life a breeze after a year or two.



Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.


Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Wurlitzer upright Scarlatti
by manykeys. 01/21/18 12:48 PM
Yamaha CLP 545 vs 635
by pianist007. 01/21/18 12:33 PM
Correcting technique and slow reading (and ..
by pianopi. 01/21/18 11:51 AM
Kawai ES8 keys clicking
by tesla3. 01/21/18 11:09 AM
A flying concert grand piano - fun!
by Rich Galassini. 01/21/18 07:38 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,894
Posts2,689,179
Members89,491
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0