2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (36251, 1200s, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,515 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Don't delay too much on the Mozart ...
The Chopin Nocturne Opus 27/2 is a knockout.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
I'm getting tired of hearing about this. If you don't go out and buy it. I'll go out and buy a reconditioned yamaha upright myself. Where I'll find one? How I'll get it up three flights of stairs to my apartment? That's irrelevant! All that's important is; if you don't buy it, I will!

OH Lord! Won't you buy me a reconditioned Yamaha upright.
My friends all play digitals. I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime. No help from my friends.
So Oh Lord! Won't you buy me a reconditioned Yamaha upright.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
LOL! No worries Ron, that's what I will probably do grin

I'm just trying to be a tad more sensible than I usually am. Tomorrow I will go to my local official Yamaha dealer so I can at least listen to a few more U1's.

A
A
If you love it, get a tech to check it out and get it! I have a used Steinway console and I love it. I was really nervous when I first found it, but the independent tech who checked it out told me it was basically brand new since it hadn't been played much but had been kept up well, had all the original parts, etc. I got a really great piano at a really good price as a result.

I also live in an apartment/duplex and share a wall with my neighbors, so I understand your worries on that front. My neighbors actually seem to have enjoyed the sound and give me lots of compliments! Just be cognizant of not playing late at night, too early in the morning, etc. We're actually getting new neighbors soon so I hope they'll feel the same way about it.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:
Rachmaninoff: Prelude Op 23 No 4

P
P
Hi sinophilia,

I just purchased a used Yamaha upright this weekend (here in Canada) -- and by coincidence, I'm exactly at the "Fur Elise" level, studying it as part of the Canadian RCM Grade 7 requirements. I've been using an older Roland digital keyboard and I feel that I'm at a stage where not practicing on a real acoustic piano is starting to negatively affect my playing.

From my research, the W-series were very good pianos, comparable to upgraded U-series pianos. The ones you're looking at were likely sold in the Japanese market, before being resold as used, then reconditioned by a used piano dealer/broker (probably not by Yamaha or their subcontractor) -- and then shipped to Europe where used pianos fetch higher prices as compared to in Japan.

Reconditioning can mean many things, from small repairs to a full rebuild. As others have mentioned, only a check by an independent technician can confirm the true condition of a piano.

About the sound, just be aware that the acoustics at the piano shop will be different from the acoustics of your apartment. Often, pianos will sound brighter in apartments. Another consideration is the size of the room at your country house vs. your apartment. A piano that might seem "too big" for an apartment might be "too small" for a larger room.

On tuning stability -- other than the condition of the piano, the biggest factor affecting tuning (and the overall health of the piano) is humidity. For example, if the humidity in your area fluctuates a lot between summer and winter, then you will probably need to tune the piano twice a year for the best performance. Where I live, the air gets really dry here in the winter, so I will have to put a humidifier nearby my piano.

It seems like you've found a piano you really like. I would agree with Anne H above... have it checked out and get it!

I have to make a confession: I did not have an independent technician check the piano I just bought. Yes, I gather that is considered a mortal sin by pianoworld standards. I did look up the serial number (mine is a 1997), played on it for awhile, and did some cursory checks myself (everything looked pristine to me, especially being a ~15 year old piano instead of a ~30 year old one). The dealer also has a good reputation and provided a 10-year warranty.

My search began with used U1s, then to U3s, then the one I finally purchased is a U300SX (basically a U3 Silent). Used Yamaha Silents are hard to find here, so that was one reason why I quickly "closed the deal" once I saw the piano I wanted.

Sorry for the long winded response and good luck with your piano search!

Last edited by peekay; 09/01/13 09:43 PM.

Working on RCM Grade 9
A
A
One note from my experience - if you do really love it and it's truly in good condition then you may have to make a quick decision or risk losing out. After I bought mine, I found out that they had already sold three others in similar condition in less than 24 hours after they were brought in. I'm glad I made up my mind so fast, or I wouldn't have gotten it.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Thank you Anne and peekay.

Yes, I'm a bit worried that this piano might find another buyer very quickly, so I plan to go back to the store by the end of the week to have another look at it, and possibly give them a deposit. If they already sold it, well then it wasn't meant to be!

About the independent technician - I must admit I don't think it's absolutely necessary for such a small expense, and with the 5-year warranty and buy back option and all. But yes, it might spare me trouble. I contacted a company that offers this consultancy service and they'll tell me how much it would cost me. I've never owned an acoustic piano before, so I don't have "my technician" yet.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sino, it's exciting that you are smitten by this piano!

Learner

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Sino, it's exciting that you are smitten by this piano!

It is! Now I must go back and play it again to make sure it wasn't just a fleeting impression!

Today I played more pianos at the official Yamaha dealer, including an old UX3 and a brand new U1. The UX3 was nice, with beautiful bass and a warm tone... but it's from 1979 and they ask 4,500 euro for it! The weird thing is, the salesman underlined the fact that his pianos are OLD, not reconditioned. He meant that as a good thing, because in his opinion reconditioned pianos may have been rebuilt with parts that are not from Yamaha. This makes sense, but I can't help thinking that a 34-year-old upright with all its original parts is more likely to need some fixing in the next few years. Still, they provide a 10-year warranty on that old UX3, so they clearly believe that it will last. What can I say, there are as many opinions as there are sellers!

At the end of my afternoon I also tried a Celviano AP-450. At least I'm sure of one thing now: I won't buy another digital!

A
A
I'm starting to have more respect for older pianos that haven't been reconditioned now that I've talked to my tuner about them. It sounds like it's really dependent on what kind of use they've gotten and what sort of climate controlled environment that they've been stored in. For instance, my tuner says that he works on a Steinway grand in my neck of the woods that is 105 years old and hasn't even gotten close to needing a part replaced!

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Anne H
I'm starting to have more respect for older pianos that haven't been reconditioned now that I've talked to my tuner about them. It sounds like it's really dependent on what kind of use they've gotten and what sort of climate controlled environment that they've been stored in. For instance, my tuner says that he works on a Steinway grand in my neck of the woods that is 105 years old and hasn't even gotten close to needing a part replaced!

Well, I do find that hard to believe, and it's probably an exception. Plus, I'm sure it wasn't the lowest end model of Steinway piano, which means it has top-notch quality in it. Not saying Yamaha in chintzy, but an upright, even high-end, won't have the highest quality materials.

Since the OP is looking at uprights, I would be very concerned with buying OLD just as much as buying reconditioned. Either way, I'd have a tech look at it, because they are pros and know what to look for.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'll confess, I'm looking forward to hearing this piano (or another upright, eventually) in a future recital, so I'm completely biased towards you buying an acoustic to replace your digital.

I'm also wondering -- given that this is "such a small expense", might you have cash to spare to send my way towards refurbishment of "Mabel"? smile whistle

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
A
A
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Since the OP is looking at uprights, I would be very concerned with buying OLD just as much as buying reconditioned. Either way, I'd have a tech look at it, because they are pros and know what to look for.

I totally agree. I think a tech is always helpful, as it can be hard to tell the junk from the gems. I love my older piano, but I definitely did my due diligence before I bought it.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH

I'm also wondering -- given that this is "such a small expense", might you have cash to spare to send my way towards refurbishment of "Mabel"? smile whistle

Fine, send your Paypal address! grin

It's small compared to what most people spend for pianos wink

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
I'll confess, I'm looking forward to hearing this piano (or another upright, eventually) in a future recital, so I'm completely biased towards you buying an acoustic to replace your digital.

oh no, I will have to buy a microphone! I was having the time of my life with MIDI recordings! grin

btw, I'm going back to the store tomorrow... maybe I can get a discount for my imminent birthday wink

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by sinophilia
Originally Posted by rnaple
Have you considered getting a Kawai VPC?

No, not really... If I don't get an acoustic, I'll stick to my little Casio that's good enough through headphones, or get a PX-850 or AP-450 just for the better speakers and new sound technology. But then, yes, digital pianos are like computers, they get obsolete so quickly, and you're always looking to get something better than what you have. I guess that happens with acoustic pianos too, but if the piano is good enough you might also keep it forever.

Be careful!! I heard a professional jazz pianist say that he and his friends (also pros) got tendonitis playing Casios and I'm pretty sure that I did. I've read that this is a risk you face playing exclusively on many DP's. If you don't need to play the DP much, it probably wouldn't be problem, but if you do, then I agree with NMaple, you might want to consider the VCP1.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Okay, there's no way I can keep my mouth shut until it actually gets into my house, so here it is... I own an acoustic smile

Yesterday I spent the whole afternoon in Treviso trying the piano I liked and chatting with the store owner, who is a piano teacher at the local conservatory and couldn't stop telling stories about music and musicians. He even took us for a quick tour of the city center.

We looked inside the piano. They don't know what was done to it before it left Japan, but it's clear that all felt parts are brand new. It has new underfelted U1 hammers. The action is perfectly even; the keys are noticeably lighter where the strings have no dampers, or with the damper pedal pressed, but I checked this on several other uprights and they are all the same. I can somehow play pianissimo - although I can see that it will take me some time to adjust my touch. The outside is not 100% perfect - a few tiny scratches here and there and a couple of polished spots around the Yamaha logo and the lock on an otherwise satin finish, but I can live with it. I managed to get the price down by 400 euro, so it's about the same price as an ordinary U1. A tuner will be present to check on the piano after delivery, even though they swear the tuning won't move a bit.

In the end, I didn't bring a technician. I decided to trust this people, that's all. I called a cousin of mine who is an organist and piano teacher in Padua and she said good things of this store. If something goes wrong, feel free to say "We told you!" wink

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lovely piano, congratulations Sinophilia.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations! You will soon discovered what all former digital players discover. The difference is beyond day and night.

R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Congrats Diana...

I think you did good.

EDIT: Microphone? A good ole SM57. You'd be impressed how good they do with a good pre-amp. A pair for stereo.
Definitely think about experimenting with the distance from the wall for sound quality. Or even sound treatment of the wall. That wall will effect the sound quality greatly.

Last edited by rnaple; 09/05/13 02:59 AM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission