Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
57 registered members (Albunea, Beakybird, bennevis, beeboss, ando, 16 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2143086 - 09/02/13 09:01 PM Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question  
Psychonaut Offline
Psychonaut  Offline

Does anyone know the best source for getting either a paper sheet book or high quality pdf for the Bach Inventions 772-786?

I need the fingering cues, but am not interested in any added ornamental notations. Does Schirmer's have the fingering?

Also, I would like a relatively large staff, since my eyes aren't the greatest. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Yamaha P120, MO6, Steinberg MR816, Galaxy Vintage D, Komplete 8 & various other VIs, Reaper
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2143531 - 09/03/13 04:48 PM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: Psychonaut]  
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
jdw  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Philadelphia, PA
Hmm, guess I'm not the only one who doesn't really know the answer to your questions. My edition is Kalmus, which has some suggested fingerings. I haven't compared it with other editions, though.

1989 Baldwin R
Currently working on:
Haydn, Sonata Hob. XVI: 19
Chopin, Waltz in E minor (op. posth.)
Schubert, Op. 90 no. 2
#2143537 - 09/03/13 05:01 PM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: Psychonaut]  
PianoStudent88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
PianoStudent88  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Maine
If Alfred Masterworks has an edition, probably edited by Palmer, I would expect that to have fingerings in it. There may be suggestions of ornaments, but they would be printed in grey type so you can easily tell they are editorial.

Henle provides editions both with and without fingering, so by being careful about which publication number you buy, you can acquire fingerings that way. There won't be any ornaments added beyond what appears in the original sources.

If you can find these on sheetmusicplus.com, then you can look at the preview pages to gauge the staff size.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
#2143565 - 09/03/13 06:07 PM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: PianoStudent88]  
Anne H Offline
Anne H  Offline

New Orleans
Hmm...I have the Schirmer edition with the Czerny fingerings which I like, but the staff size isn't huge. I find it also does a good job with separating out ornaments and those kinds of things.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:
Rachmaninoff: Prelude Op 23 No 4

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2143607 - 09/03/13 07:19 PM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: Psychonaut]  
zrtf90 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
zrtf90  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ireland (ex England)
Richard Jones edited the ABRSM editions in both the Signature Series (Inventions and Sinfonias) and the Easier Piano Pieces series (just the Two Part Inventions).

The print is very clear in both editions and I tend to prefer them over Henle.

I have the Edition Peters with Czerny's fingerings and the Augener edition with Franklin Taylor's but I think that'll be out of print by now. Neither are as clear as the ABRSM editions.

Richard
#2143774 - 09/03/13 11:56 PM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: PianoStudent88]  
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member
custard apple  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sydney
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
If Alfred Masterworks has an edition, probably edited by Palmer, I would expect that to have fingerings in it. There may be suggestions of ornaments, but they would be printed in grey type so you can easily tell they are editorial.

I'm using this. Yes the fingerings are suggested, I don't really use them.
The print is so large that an invention typically covers 3 pages (rather than the usual 2 on musicnotes.com).
I usually photocopy the 3rd page so that I don't have to turn any pages when I play the invention.

#2143911 - 09/04/13 08:17 AM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: custard apple]  
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Andy Platt  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by custard apple
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88

I'm using this. Yes the fingerings are suggested, I don't really use them.
The print is so large that an invention typically covers 3 pages (rather than the usual 2 on musicnotes.com).
I usually photocopy the 3rd page so that I don't have to turn any pages when I play the invention.

I'm also using this edition and like the slightly larger format. The fingering suggestions are usually pretty good - there are a number of times I have thought, "nope, this will work better" and after a week go back to the one they suggested.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
#2143931 - 09/04/13 09:18 AM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: Psychonaut]  
Psychonaut Offline
Psychonaut  Offline

Thanks for the replies, and I will look into all of this. I'm finding the fingering by far to be the single most important barrier to playing BWV 772. Since I'm already something of a piano hack without formal training, I find I can read these notes OK, and that my fingers are fluid enough to play them without too much trouble (at least at relatively slow tempos), but this Bach stuff is (of course) really, really cleverly designed, and if you don't finger them properly, it becomes "oops" I've run out of fingers...

...I reflexively use a 5 when I need a 4, or a 1 when I need a 2 at the beginning of a run, that sort of thing. I clearly have some very bad, sloppy fingering habits to unlearn and relearn.

Yamaha P120, MO6, Steinberg MR816, Galaxy Vintage D, Komplete 8 & various other VIs, Reaper
#2143938 - 09/04/13 09:51 AM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: Psychonaut]  
PianoStudent88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
PianoStudent88  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Maine
One thing to do is to work out your fingerings slowly, carefully, with much going back and forth and revising measure by measure or even note by note as you work it out and discover you've run out of fingers a measure later. This is note by note, before you start practicing it. Then when you have a fingering that works, write it in and follow it. That will prevent accidentally running out of fingers.

The fun begins when there doesn't seem to be any fingering that doesn't run out of fingers... this is one of the reasons I like fingered editions, even when I modify their fingerings.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
#2144365 - 09/05/13 12:16 AM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: PianoStudent88]  
outo Offline
2000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Finland
I have both the Henle and the Wiener Urtext with fingerings, I do prefer the latter, it's somehow easier for my eyes. But for more complete fingerings, you could check out the Busoni edition:
http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks/usimg/b/b2/IMSLP42098-PMLP03267-Inventions_Busoni.pdf

I usually have to figure out much of the fingerings myself anyway due to my hand shape...

#2144450 - 09/05/13 04:01 AM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: Psychonaut]  
peekay Offline
peekay  Offline

In Bach Inventions, there are many repeating patterns. So as much as possible, you want to use the same fingering for the same/similar patterns.

E.g., in BWV 772, for the right hand, rising notes might start with finger 1 and descending ones might start with the 4th finger (just before the next beat at the 3rd finger).

There are exceptions of course, but maybe 80% of the Invention might be fingered consistently in this way.

The more you notice these patterns, the more consistent / efficient your fingering will be. So you can build your fingering for whole patterns and even phrases, instead of note-by-note. This will help the musicality of your playing as well.

Last edited by peekay; 09/05/13 04:08 AM.

Working on RCM Grade 8
#2144504 - 09/05/13 08:58 AM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: outo]  
Psychonaut Offline
Psychonaut  Offline

Originally Posted by outo
I have both the Henle and the Wiener Urtext with fingerings, I do prefer the latter, it's somehow easier for my eyes. But for more complete fingerings, you could check out the Busoni edition:
http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks/usimg/b/b2/IMSLP42098-PMLP03267-Inventions_Busoni.pdf

I usually have to figure out much of the fingerings myself anyway due to my hand shape...

Awesome resource, thank you! I went ahead and purchased a Czerny spiral-bound edition of both the two and three part Inventions, as well as a book called The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios and Cadences from Alfred Publishing, but will definitely be exploring this Busoni pdf too.

Last edited by Psychonaut; 09/05/13 09:27 AM.

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
On legato and slurs
by Fede. 05/27/17 02:49 AM
What makes a piece difficult
by Emeraldz. 05/27/17 01:12 AM
Rach 3 with our own Jeffrey Biegel
by Piano World. 05/27/17 12:21 AM
Kawai or not Kawai - that is the question
by Pianolance. 05/26/17 11:40 PM
Angela Hewitt Masterclass
by earlofmar. 05/26/17 07:54 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Report Problems With New Forums
Report Problems with New Forums Here!
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics179,912
Posts2,630,169
Members87,895
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission