2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 41 of 47 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 46 47
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Playing the wrong notes so people don`t notice is an art form. . . If they do notice, a grin which says "who spotted the deliberate mistake?" might be the best for damage limitation. . . better still if everyone (including piano player) is comfortably inebriated . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dipsy

Now I have to write something to go with my pieces, and I'll try to follow some advice I gave - 'imagine you're talking to a friend about your experience learning the piece'. That should help me dodge the dual temptations of trying to sound technically knowledgeable (which I would be doomed to fail at anyway)- because I don't want to try to impress, and explaining/excusing all the errors - because I have nothing to be ashamed of. For me, my challenge in writing my 2-3 paragraphs is to be open and show something of the human being learning the piece.

The grinding tedium of trying to practise something that doesn't fall naturally under my fingers has stripped me of most of my humanity so I'll probably have to stick with pretending to be knowledgeable!

Please to hear Rossy's in good shape, looking forward to the return of his off-beat perspectives.

M
M
Rossy is missed, and you can tell him not coming back is not an option, or there's a riding crop in his near future!

My digital piano is packed up, so the only chance of practicing I'll get is possibly tonight at my parent's if they're not there when we arrive. Then we're on the road for the next two days, but when we arrive in FL on Sunday I'll be able to practice on my Petrof! Yay!! I'm hoping that will magically improve my playing, because there are all kinds of wrong notes happening right now that I'm not sure what to do about.

The main problem lies in the Halling. Despite really working the one section after the glissando, it's still hit or miss. If I make it through, I have to do it on the repeat, and so far twice in a row has yet to happen! And it's not like I can do a Plan B on this section, because if I'm off on one note, the rest of the entire section gets off. I can't spare a moment to look at my RH and correct it, because the LH is too busy being a spaz jumping octaves! This is one of those times I wish I had eyes like a gecko.

I thought about what may possibly be causing the problems in the RH, and it may be because the LH has to do these large leaps that when I play up to tempo, I lose my balance. At slow tempos, I'm pretty grounded and the RH keeps me stable, but I think when it's up to tempo then all of a sudden my RH starts lifting off the keys too much like the LH. It's just a thought and one I'll have to look at when I'm back at the piano again in a couple of days. I'm hoping a solution is soon in coming!

All of the other pieces are coming along fine. From the Early Years is ready to record, and once I can get that and Halling recorded, I'll focus on memorizing the other pieces.

I may forgo memorization on French Serenade, but we'll have to see.

Butterfly is just lovely, and while I won't bring it up to break-neck speed, I think it will sound suitably fluttery. Did you know that a group of butterflies is called a flutter?

The Brooklet I think is misnamed and sounds more like a winter wind or something. There are no pedal markings except at the very end ehre, but I may disobey that order. I am loving all these pieces smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I watched my son's teacher work with him on Debussy's prelude (from Suite pour le Piano). It has a nasty set of glissandi in the RH, with the left hand moving in downward octaves at the low end of the piano at precise points during each gliss. She just had him work the LH until the jump distances were completely in muscle memory so he could focus his attention on the interaction between the octave jumps and the timing of the glissando.

M
M
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
I watched my son's teacher work with him on Debussy's prelude (from Suite pour le Piano). It has a nasty set of glissandi in the RH, with the left hand moving in downward octaves at the low end of the piano at precise points during each gliss. She just had him work the LH until the jump distances were completely in muscle memory so he could focus his attention on the interaction between the octave jumps and the timing of the glissando.

Hmm, I wonder if I just not look at the LH and focus on the RH...I'll give it a try. Those octave leaps are pretty far, but maybe I know the feeling well enough to not have to look.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yes, and you could also muscle memorize the RH (know exactly where the gliss stops by sound, feel, and timing) while sneaking a look at the left hand as it moves. And of course, once you have done that both ways ... !

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Glad to see Rossy Rostosky is doing well wink

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by dire tonic
The grinding tedium of trying to practise something that doesn't fall naturally under my fingers has stripped me of most of my humanity so I'll probably have to stick with pretending to be knowledgeable!
Love it! I think I'll stand in this shadow. smile

Richard
R
R
Testing out my new recording software - here is Vanished Days: (my first ever recital smile )

Comments?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vryibuz779fuwwi/Vanished%20Days.mp3?m

I don't really know how to upload files yet, so I am using my Dropbox user account. Youtube doesn't seem to like "audio only" files.

Last edited by Renjer; 08/31/13 12:28 PM.
A
A
I am determined to record early this week, so hopefully I will be fully finished! I put my piece away for several weeks hoping to gain some more perspective on it, but after pulling it out again I'm not sure that has happened. I've made a deal with myself that I can't start working on my next recital piece for November until I get this recorded, so maybe that will help make things go faster.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:
Rachmaninoff: Prelude Op 23 No 4

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Renjer
Testing out my new recording software - here is Vanished Days: (my first ever recital smile )

Comments?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vryibuz779fuwwi/Vanished%20Days.mp3?m

I don't really know how to upload files yet, so I am using my Dropbox user account. Youtube doesn't seem to like "audio only" files.

Super! Quite a challenging piece! A lot of time went into that. I would imagine you are reading and playing? You put a lot of dynamics into it and your piano held up nicely as well.

I uploaded a trial video of my piece to Youtube today. I used Windows Movie Maker and it would be very easy for you to put add a couple of pics and turn your piece into a slideshow. I used, I think, 9 pics for a 1:40 piece.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
R
R
Thanks for your comments, yes, I was going through the PDF sheets from my iPad. I first heard about Vanished Days while browsing through one of the exam syllabuses of either the RCM or the London College, can't remember now. Then I heard a recording of this piece (youtube) from someone who joined the Grieg's Piano Competition and I was hooked since. I just had to learn this up.

Anyway, it was just a trial recording and perhaps when the due date comes I hope to make less mistakes while playing this piece. Er, is there a due date for the recitals?

As a second thought, I am also learning the "Wedding Day at Troldhaugen" and I find it much more difficult to play than this one.

Last edited by Renjer; 08/31/13 10:13 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think we're supposed to be ready by Sept 15. I think one opus is going to be published (by the moderator for each opus), starting with Opus 12.

My work is op 12 no 8 and we are planning to have our videos all done and submitted well before the 15th.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Renjer, welcome! The way the themed recitals work is that at the beginning of the organizational process, back when this thread started, people pick which piece they'd like to play, one person per piece. People then submit YouTube videos of their playing to the organizers, and the videos are published in order when the performance of the recital opens, which will be Sept. 15. The list of performers and pieces is filled out already now. So unfortunately your recording won't be part of the official themed recital. We're delighted to hear it though. Consider posting it to the September Piano Bar. There are also quarterly recitals on your choice of piece -- submissions for the next Quarterly recital open on Nov. 1 and run to Nov. 14. Also keep watching ABF for an announcement of the next themed recital. Hope you'll be a part of it!

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
AZ_Astro, we're asking for submissions by Sept. 10. That gives the organizers time to put the threads together before the recital opens on Sept. 15, and also time to deal with any last minute problems.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
R
R
@Pianostudent88: That's ok then, I wasn't aware that all Grieg's Lyric Pieces were already taken. Has the Sonata in E Minor been taken yet? I'm interested in the Andante Molto section because I vaguely remember this piece having appeared in the exams some years back.

Unfortunately in November I will be having guests in my house for quite some time so I can't really play the piano. Perhaps I will have to wait for the next one (February 2014, perhaps?)

I noticed there was an Alkan recital as well on the Pianist forum, however, I don't think my piece is up to an acceptable standard yet.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Renjer, yes, the next Quarterly recital after November is February.

For this themed recital, we're only playing Grieg's Lyric Pieces. You could record the Sonata for the Piano Bar, or record it early and submit it to the November recital (or later). There's also the Ecco Fatto thread for submitting your first PW recording, if you wish. (Ecco Fatto = Italian for "There! It's done!")

You can also always just make a thread and post a piece for feedback or just to share.

There will be another themed recital coming up, but the theme and timing have not yet been decided. Look for information on that sometime after the Grieg recital finishes being posted (we'll have one opus per day starting Sept. 15, so finishing up on Sept. 24).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Right! Thanks.

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88

There will be another themed recital coming up, but the theme and timing have not yet been decided. Look for information on that sometime after the Grieg recital finishes being posted (we'll have one opus per day starting Sept. 15, so finishing up on Sept. 24).

Can we do Schumann next time? Lots of pieces that are playable by intermediates.

Or Bartok - he gets no love in the ABF recitals. But the Mikrokosmos have something for all skill levels. I don't know why they aren't more popular.

Or we could make the New Age fans happy and have an all New Age recital wink Oh no, Einaudi!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
M
M
Originally Posted by Sam S
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88

Can we do Schumann next time? Lots of pieces that are playable by intermediates.

Or Bartok - he gets no love in the ABF recitals. But the Mikrokosmos have something for all skill levels. I don't know why they aren't more popular.

Or we could make the New Age fans happy and have an all New Age recital wink Oh no, Einaudi!

Sam
Hey, hey, hey, now! I haven't even begun to record my Grieg pieces, so let's hold off on discussing what's next until we're done with what's now! smile

Don't mind me, just a little under the gun crazy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 41 of 47 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission