2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Glenn Treibitz
We used to call that a Kimballdorfer

I've read some pros and cons about the influence the Kimball/Bosendorfer relationship had on the Kimball grands of that era. Not sure about all the debate, but I like the big sound holes in the plate, which does resemble the Bosendorfer plate.

Anyway, I did some cleaning, adjusting and hammer filing on the Kimball today, and it is sounding and playing even better. As has been mentioned already, it was not out of tune all that much, even though it hasn’t been tuned in years, according to the pastor of the church I purchased it from. It sounds very similar to the 6’7” Kimball Viennese model I played a few years ago when I was looking for a 7 footer. The low bass is not as rich as the 6’7” model, but the rest of the piano sounds very similar.

It’s been fun tinkering with it so far, and some of my relatives want to buy it from me already. I gave my sister my old Conover upright I just refurbished, and now she wants the Kimball. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
N
N
There was a 10 ft 1 inch 1984 Kimball Olympic Commemorative concert grand advertised on Pianomart last month for 3k dollars which looked new in the photos. I didn't know they made them that big .

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation
B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by Nash. Piano Rescue
There was a 10 ft 1 inch 1984 Kimball Olympic Commemorative concert grand advertised on Pianomart last month for 3k dollars which looked new in the photos. I didn't know they made them that big .

This one? It does not look to be 10'-1" in the photo, not even 9', which I think they made, or had made by Bösendorfer.

Semipro Tech
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Looks like yours has the laminated soundboard.

Ed, which visuals lead you to this conclusion?

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
It’s been fun tinkering with it so far, and some of my relatives want to buy it from me already. I gave my sister my old Conover upright I just refurbished, and now she wants the Kimball. smile

Oh-Oh -- Is PAS genetic?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Mark R
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Looks like yours has the laminated soundboard.

Ed, which visuals lead you to this conclusion?

Hi Mark,

Maybe Ed will chime in again in response to your question, but I have also heard Del Fandrich mention that these models (Kimbaldorfers as Glenn put it) had laminated soundboards. I'm not quite sure how to tell. It is my understanding that they made 2 different models of this Viennese editions from the late 1970's until they stopped making pianos in the early 90's, the 5'8" and a 6'7". They do look similar in style and plate design.

What has surprised me so far, is how nice the action feels.

And Marty, I'm not sure if PAS is genetic or not, by my sister has two old uprights now... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
OP Offline
I recorded a short video of me playing the Kimball this morning. It sounds a little brighter in the video than it does in real life, but the mic on cam-corder is not the best.

Kimball 5'8" baby grand 1977 model

Anyway, you can get an idea of what it sounds like. It still needs some serious regulation, hammer voicing and fine tuning, but I'll get to that later.

Happy Labor Day!!

Rick

Nice video Rick, I'm still working on mine, the cam-corder just doesn't do it justice... The sad part is the church is exactly where that piano should be and yet they would rather have the latest "keyboard", bleach. The older larger Kimball's were to my understanding very good pianos on par with Knabe, Baldwin, and such.

Quid est veritas et mendacium, cum orbis terrarum.
Rick, thanks for posting the pictures and the story. I have one of the 6'7"s from that same time period, although not the Viennese version. I believe the 5'8 and the 6'7 used the same Schwander action; is that what yours has? I've wondered how similar (or different) that action is compared to mine since mine is not the Viennese.

I'm still very interested in doing some additional things to mine, especially some that Del mentioned, but I just haven't gotten the time to do so.
Please keep up posted on what you find and do on yours---it might give me additional ideas for mine.

Interesting that my serial number is similar to yours. Mine is A97100, but mine is clearly not a Viennese version and not one of the Bosy versions (to the best of my knowledge). Hmmmm......

Edited for typo.

Last edited by Steve in Cincy; 09/04/13 03:36 PM.

Regards,
Steve Schutte
Cincinnati
1979 6'7 Kimball Grand
1902 6' Hazelton Bros. Grand (project piano)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission