2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW
I don't know.. whatever. Stupid thread.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I don't believe writing a repeat sign requires a whole lot of effort and ink.

You just keep telling yourself that, Young Man...

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by laguna_greg

Oh p*ss off.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by laguna_greg

Oh p*ss off.

HEY!!! WATCH IT!!!

In the 18th and 19th Centuries, ink and paper cost money, and cost quite dear.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas

On the question at hand: I'm currently working with a Canadian composer who has a couple of repeats on her works. From the manuscript, she has a phrase like "repeat mandatory" or something like that.

So my very first thing was to eliminate that, thinking that when you have a repeat with 1 and 2 different endings, etc (not sure how it's called in English) then it's pretty obvious that you have to do it. Because you need to play it twice, in order to get a lead/bridge to the next part. This is what the composer wanted. And thus I deleted that phrase.

Beethoven did something similar with the Bagatelle op. 126 #1. At the end he wrote "La seconda parte due volte."
Were it not for that explicit instruction I might be tempted to omit the repeat (when playing for myself.)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ferdinand
Originally Posted by Nikolas

On the question at hand: I'm currently working with a Canadian composer who has a couple of repeats on her works. From the manuscript, she has a phrase like "repeat mandatory" or something like that.

So my very first thing was to eliminate that, thinking that when you have a repeat with 1 and 2 different endings, etc (not sure how it's called in English) then it's pretty obvious that you have to do it. Because you need to play it twice, in order to get a lead/bridge to the next part. This is what the composer wanted. And thus I deleted that phrase.

Beethoven did something similar with the Bagatelle op. 126 #1. At the end he wrote "La seconda parte due volte."
Were it not for that explicit instruction I might be tempted to omit the repeat (when playing for myself.)

It is similar, but also, I think it's quite different. This is Beethoven saying "repeat the second part even though you didn't repeat the first part." i.e. "this isn't a copy error; I really want only the second part repeated". If both parts had had repeats he wouldn't have given instructions no matter how mandatory he considered them.

The same thing happens (with the same instructions) in the last movement of Appassionata.

-J

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
...while Mozart did ask for repeats with all of his expositions, Haydn did not.

Cool-- I never knew that. You mean there's a Haydn sonata whose first movement is in sonata form but its exposition isn't repeated? Do you know which one (or the key)?

-J

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Short answer: It depends.

That's not very helpful, so I'll give examples.

When I play a complete sonata for a recital, I usually play the repeats. Even the repeat of the third movement of op.27/2 (Moonlight).
In the case of op.10/1 I do it because the second movement does not have any repeats, but is still longer than the first or third movement with repeats. So leaving out the repeats there would give much room to the second movement.

When I play sonatas, or movements, for my own amusement, it depends on my mood and my time available. Example: I sometimes play a personal mix of Beethoven sonatas (op.13 (Pathétique), first movement, op.27/2 (Moonlight), second movement, op.31/2 (Tempest), third movement). When I do so I usually leave out the repeats; even the repeats of the second movement of Moonlight; which makes it really short.

So: Ask yourself what you play, why you play it and whom you play for. Then decide whether you want to include or omit the repeats.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
V
V
I played the first movement of k 330 at a student recital. My teacher thought that I could also play something else with the sonata so that I would get to play more. I suggested that I repeat the exposition of the sonata, but my teacher thought I shouldn't, so I ended up not playing any repeats. The slow movement does need at least some of the repeats played (if I remember correctly, Mozart wrote repeats in the first A section, and in the B section, but not in the second A section).

I don't like repeating developments + recaps because of repeating the development. I don't think it is good for the structure. I could see repeating just the recap working, but since no composer (that I'm aware of) wrote sonatas in which only the recaps are repeated, the idea really doesn't work. (There's usually a V-I cadence and a pause between exposition and development + recap, but the development + recap are bridged together)

Working on

Chopin: op. 25 no. 11
Haydn: Sonata in in Eb Hob XVI/52
Schumann: Piano concerto 1st movement
Rachmaninoff: op. 39 no. 8

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Just ask yourself a question: what is the point of doing the repeat?

Is there a structural reason?

The composer liked the material so much that he suggests it be played twice?

The composer is too lazy to write the music out again?

The composer wants to make sure the audience has a firm grasp of the material before developing it?

The first repeat colours the exposition so that the second runthrough has a different , meaning?

It is worthwhile to note, I think, that in the Classical period, many people heard music one time, and that was it. Forever. In that sort of situation, the repeat plays a somewhat different role than it does in ours. It's not necessarily just about structure.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I think that in our present time, when repeats are usually literally that - repeats with nothing changed (no extra ornamentation etc), it often makes no sense to take all repeats just because there's a repeat mark there.

It amazes me how some pianists can justify some repeats and not others - like Alfred Brendel and his disciples who refuse to play the repeat of Schubert's D960 1st movement despite that resulting in an incomplete performance of this great work (because some bars are left out). Yet they repeat note-for-note, and every single nuance, some other pieces, with no attempt at giving a fresh insight during the repeat.

Very few performances of Mozart symphonies are played with all repeats - I think there's one recording where the last two symphonies are played thus (one suspects that the recording engineer just spliced the same performance in twice, as the repeats were completely identical), and each symphony lasted over 40 minutes. And in fact, most Beethoven symphony performances don't take all repeats either. The only one that seems mandatory is that in the first movement of the 5th, partly because it's too short without it.

Personally, I believe that in piano music, one should play a repeat if not taking it would result in leaving out some music that the composer wrote (or if the composer specifically indicated that it must be taken), or if one is convinced that the music needs that repeat. Don't play a repeat if you are not convinced about it, and have no idea what to do during the repeat other than repeating exactly what you've already just played.....

If music be the food of love, play on!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425
Do you know which one (or the key)?

-J

Of course, I do. Hob XVI:51, Dmajor.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I don't know the ins and outs of all repeats, but I've always been under the impression that the only time I should omit them is if I need to save time in a competition (granted, I only did small, local competitions in high school), and if I am playing in some sort of studio or student recital. But if I have my own recital, or time is not an issue, I will take repeats!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Although, isn't sonata form sort-of a combination of binary and ternary forms? Having an expo-development-recap format feels ternary, but because the expo repeats AND the development/recap repeats, that hearkens back to binary form, right?

Heck, sonata principle technically does not NEED a development section, right? (Though most do.)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, it's what they call a rounded binary. And yeah, it does need a development and all the modulatory structures that go with to fit in that mold. Without it, it's some kind of rondo.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

-J

Yep... Interesting that it's late Haydn.

By the way, the most tedious repeating I've ever heard is in my otherwise-excellent Mozart symphony recordings by Trevor Pinnock. What he does in the minuets is unforgivable: Not only does he take all the repeats the first time through, he takes them again after the trio! Great music, but I don't have to hear the A-material eight times!!

-J

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

-J

Yep... Interesting that it's late Haydn.

By the way, the most tedious repeating I've ever heard is in my otherwise-excellent Mozart symphony recordings by Trevor Pinnock. What he does in the minuets is unforgivable: Not only does he take all the repeats the first time through, he takes them again after the trio! Great music, but I don't have to hear the A-material eight times!!

-J

Umm, yeah, I'm thinking that might be a bit much! I can't say I've ever heard anyone take the repeats on the second time through.

♪ ≠ $

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I haven't, either. I though repeats should be omitted after the trio of a minuet and trio form

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
I thought repeats should be omitted after the trio of a minuet and trio form

Yes, I thought that was customary.

Count me in as a BIG stickler for repeats in Beethoven, even the less 'consensus' ones such as in the finale of the 5th.

However, I was rather surprised that Katsaris, in his recording of the Beethoven-Liszt 6th, takes the exposition repeat. I hardly thought that necessary, even if I would be outraged if it were omitted in an orchestral performance.

Jason
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission