2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Joel, my point was that not all that long ago you were wholeheartedly on the bandwagon that says "the score is nothing but a guide... do your own thing" and now you're asking about the validity of taking repeats. Why would you care what Beethoven has written in this regard?

Regarding Horowitz/Mozart/Beethoven... I am not saying that his playing is not beautiful (I've not ever heard a time when it wasn't), but that isn't the point.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Joel, my point was that not all that long ago you were wholeheartedly on the bandwagon that says "the score is nothing but a guide... do your own thing" and now you're asking about the validity of taking repeats. Why would you care what Beethoven has written in this regard?

Because I'm not aware of all of Beethoven's sonatas and don't know how important any of the repeats may be. For all of the Mozart sonatas I've heard, the repeats don't mean a thing imo, but I don't yet know if the same can be said structurally about the Beethoven sonatas, especially the later ones.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I meant in exams, rather than recitals. Sorry for the mixup!

I thought there was a good chance you meant it in some other way than how he took it (because it's clearly untrue).

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW

Because I'm not aware of all of Beethoven's sonatas and don't know how important any of the repeats may be. For all of the Mozart sonatas I've heard, the repeats don't mean a thing imo, but I don't yet know if the same can be said structurally about the Beethoven sonatas, especially the later ones.

Well it absolutely IS vital in his later sonatas - usually the structure depends on it! And, if a composer wrote two different endings to a repeat, I think generally a good idea to play it smile

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
[...]
Concerning repeats, I think that when you're performing for people who are not familiar with the work, repeating is a good idea, even when the work is technically weaker without it (I'm thinking of Chopin's 3rd, which I'm hopefully going to perform soon).

My thoughts on repeats in Beethoven - or anywhere else, for that matter :

I always take them on the principle that if I didn't get it right the first time, I may get lucky and play it better - maybe even right - the second! smile

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
B
Is there any consensus on where to repeat in the first movement of Beethoven's Pathétique (i.e. from the beginning of the Grave or from the Allegro)?

Shades of Chopin's Funeral March Sonata here....(though in Chopin, more and more pianists are gravitating towards repeating from the Grave rather than from the Doppio movimento, as used to be the norm).

If music be the food of love, play on!
Originally Posted by bennevis
Is there any consensus on where to repeat in the first movement of Beethoven's Pathétique (i.e. from the beginning of the Grave or from the Allegro)?

Shades of Chopin's Funeral March Sonata here....

No. grin

(Same issue.)

But I know that people here have views on it.
Mine: Not back to the beginning. (Likewise in the Chopin.)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Do you think that Mozart was not as aware of what he was doing as was Beethoven? Why do Mozart's repeats not mean a thing? If you use structure as the basis for your answer, then I'd like to know WHY structurally you feel a repeat is not necessary.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Do you think that Mozart was not as aware of what he was doing as was Beethoven? Why do Mozart's repeats not mean a thing? If you use structure as the basis for your answer, then I'd like to know WHY structurally you feel a repeat is not necessary.

I don't know how to explain it. In K330, for example, I don't find any of the repeats necessary. Taking them out doesn't hurt the piece at all imo. All I was really asking is if there were repeats in Beethoven sonatas that are CRUCIAL to the structure, and taking them out would significantly harm the piece. It's my understanding that Beethoven wrote very architecturally.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

I don't know how to explain it. In K330, for example, I don't find any of the repeats necessary. Taking them out doesn't hurt the piece at all imo. All I was really asking is if there were repeats in Beethoven sonatas that are CRUCIAL to the structure, and taking them out would significantly harm the piece. It's my understanding that Beethoven wrote very architecturally.

The fact that Mozart and Haydn repeat every single one of their expositions, while (for example) Beethoven chose to repeat his Waldstein exposition, but not his Appassionata exposition: I think this fact speaks volumes. It suggests that Beethoven deliberately decided, work by work, whether to repeat (at least after his early works), whereas Haydn and Mozart did not.

This doesn't necessarily mean you should ignore Mozart's and Haydn's repeats. But it does point to a fundamental difference in these composers' attitudes which I think is relevant.

-Jason

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

So, your answer, basically, is that you don't know why you feel the repeats aren't necessary with Mozart. You just feel that leaving them out doesn't hurt the piece. Fine. If that is your enlightened opinion, then you ought to be able to determine whether, or not, Beethoven's repeats are crucial to his structure(s). How are you able to make such a determination with one composer and not another?

♪ ≠ $

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
So, your answer, basically, is that you don't know why you feel the repeats aren't necessary with Mozart. You just feel that leaving them out doesn't hurt the piece. Fine. If that is your enlightened opinion, then you ought to be able to determine whether, or not, Beethoven's repeats are crucial to his structure(s). How are you able to make such a determination with one composer and not another?

Um... I made a determination, if you want to pick on me instead. In the post two above this one, I raised what is (I think) an interesting and relevant point that separates Haydn and Mozart from Beethoven regarding sonata exposition repeats. It doesn't settle the debate, but I think it's interesting.

-J

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425

Um... I made a determination, if you want to pick on me instead. In the post two above this one, I raised what is (I think) an interesting and relevant point that separates Haydn and Mozart from Beethoven regarding sonata exposition repeats. It doesn't settle the debate, but I think it's interesting.

-J

I'm not picking on anyone. I simply asked Joel to explain his thinking regarding said repeats. Your point is well taken and while Mozart did ask for repeats with all of his expositions, Haydn did not.

♪ ≠ $

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I already told you - I don't know his later sonatas. This thread was really just a simple request for knowledge.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Well, it's a matter of personal taste. However I must say, as someone who has performed that piece for over 30 years, that I find ALL those repeats essential, especially in the andante. If you don't find any use for them, then I must accuse you of lacking an imagination (as much as I like you personally).

Beethoven owned a pen, and ink to go with it. The ink cost money to make, and to buy. Do you really think he wrote all those repeats by hand just for fun, when it cost him money to do so? BTW, the engraver would not have thought of those repeats as superfluous, considering just how much effort it used to take to scrive them accurately and cleanly on a copper plate using a burr, nor would the publisher have been happy to pay for them to do so considering what that all cost at the time, or even today if it were still done by hand.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by laguna_greg

Beethoven owned a pen, and ink to go with it. The ink cost money to make, and to buy. Do you really think he wrote all those repeats by hand just for fun, when it cost him money to do so? BTW, the engraver would not have thought of those repeats as superfluous, considering just how much effort it used to take to scrive them accurately and cleanly on a copper plate using a burr, nor would the publisher have been happy to pay for them to do so considering what that all cost at the time, or even today if it were still done by hand.

I don't believe writing a repeat sign requires a whole lot of effort and ink.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I already told you; I don't know his later sonatas. This thread was really just a simple request for knowledge.

Yes, but you don't explain WHY Mozart's aren't necessary... only that you don't FEEL their omission takes away from the piece. What we like, when it is different from what is written in the score, is not enough(maybe you ought to watch the Barenboim/Beethoven sonatas masterclass with David Kadouch, if you think I am a purist about the score and it's detail (and I've never heard Barenboim accused of being a purist)... of course, you may believe Barenboim knows nothing about Beethoven). You've stated that you don't know LvB's later sonatas, so, I must ask about the repeats found in the sonatas you DO know (I've no idea to what point you are aware of the 32). Are these necessary and why? To state that a repeat affects the structure (with, or without that repeat) without knowing how, and why, it affects the structure is to not understand the thing entirely. You may think that I'm needling you, but I'm not. I'm trying to get you to dig a little deeper (do the homework) and learn the answers to your questions on your own. To understand something as simple as a repeat and the how and why it affects a work is to improve your performance of that work.

♪ ≠ $

If the music is good, I have no problems hearing it again. I WANT to hear it again.

Schiff can take as many repeats as he wants, I'll be still be listening 6 hours later.

If you are going to do a repeat and do nothing with it or worse, muck it up, well maybe then...

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
You may think that I'm needling you, but I'm not. I'm trying to get you to dig a little deeper (do the homework) and learn the answers to your questions on your own.

I have nothing against "doing your own homework" but what exactly is the matter with asking Piano World sometimes? How lame would it be if no one ever exchanged knowledge around here..

I'd like to add that I think some pieces DO sound right with the repeat and sound wrong without the repeat. If K545's exposition didn't repeat the main theme would feel cut short. Same goes for Chopin sonata 2 imo. I feel like the repeat helps the structure. Other pieces, I don't feel this way. I don't know.. whatever. Stupid thread.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Just ask yourself a question: what is the point of doing the repeat?

Is there a structural reason?

The composer liked the material so much that he suggests it be played twice?

The composer is too lazy to write the music out again?

The composer wants to make sure the audience has a firm grasp of the material before developing it?

The first repeat colours the exposition so that the second runthrough has a different , meaning?

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission