2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 275 of 452 1 2 273 274 275 276 277 451 452
Scorpio, that was very well done! Great job especially considering that is one of the most difficult pieces in the book!

1978 Dittrich Acoustic Upright
Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jim F, earlofmar, ajames, Johnny D: Thank you so much for listening.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
Scorpio, just listened to Amazing Grace again, lovely playing. It's next for me, I hope to get it to sound as good as yours. I am studying theory too so taking a long time in book 1, but nearly there. After revision I don't whether to continue with book 2 or try something else. I see you have taken it up, how is it so far? Or you may not look here now you have graduated.

Adult returner
Practising Mindfulness Piano

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Shey.

I have not really started Book 2. Well I have, but not really. Haha.

I will do Book 2 slower than Book 1. I will always be working on an Alfred Book 2 piece, but will venture out into supplemental/additional material. I will be back into full swing next week! By then I will have a better idea how I plan to tackle the next phase.

I will always be checking in on this thread ... it's like home. wink

[Linked Image]
Just ordered book #1 , thanks for a great thread, hope
I'm on that grad list someday

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome Barry1963! Enjoy every minute of it. Be patient, practice everyday, get your rest (sleep is important), and you will find that you will make great progress. I highly recommend that you record yourself, even if you don't share it. Listening, without playing, is a great way to discover areas that need to be addressed. Of course, getting a teacher is always a good idea.

On that note, here is my last upload for Book 1:

The Entertainer ( https://app.box.com/s/fqd4oqzdt00z34wtlg89 )

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by scorpio
Welcome Barry1963! Enjoy every minute of it. Be patient, practice everyday, get your rest (sleep is important), and you will find that you will make great progress. I highly recommend that you record yourself, even if you don't share it. Listening, without playing, is a great way to discover areas that need to be addressed. Of course, getting a teacher is always a good idea.

On that note, here is my last upload for Book 1:

The Entertainer ( https://app.box.com/s/fqd4oqzdt00z34wtlg89 )

Thanks for the welcome Scorpio. I'll use the record myself tip.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Scorpio

Very nicely played Scorpio, you have a nice smooth touch there. Congratulations on finishing book 1, quite a steep curve going from nothing to the end piece so well done. Book 2 has a few interesting and challenging pieces but by applying the practice skills and technique from book 1 should be no problem to you. I should say though I am still on a piece in this book - Chopin Etude, Opus 10 No 3 still eludes me. I do hope to record it soon though.

Barry1963

Welcome to the forum and to book 1 in particular. I would second Scorpio's advice.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ajames
I've recently gone back to the Hanon's exercises (skipped 'em the first time through)-- its nice to have some brain-dead things to do on those days I'm tired or just not playing well for whatever reason. What do others think of the "left fingers HIGH!" instruction in the book. I've been ignoring it so far.

Do not lift fingers high, not even in Hanon. Those are outdated instructions from the original edition of Hanon. We understand more now about the biomechanics of playing the piano.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
We understand more now about the biomechanics of playing the piano.

I recently purchased a book (arrives today) just on this topic. I want to be more aware of how the fingers, arms and body coordinate while playing the piano. More importantly, I hope to learn how to reduce tension and strain, and to avoid injury.

The book comes with terrific feedback and reviews:
What Every Pianists Needs to Know About the Body by Thomas Carson Mark

[Linked Image]
A

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015
A
Scorpio, Your "The Entertainer" was very entertaining. Very nicely done. I've decided to go back and make some recordings of earlier stuff up to now. I like the idea of being able, in the future, to go back and listen to what I used to sound like. It also forces one to get the pieces into a more polished state.

PianoStudent88, Thanks for the info. I will not be lifting the fingers. I've been struggling with tension in the hands and wrists and lifting fingers doesn't help with that...

Welcome Barry1963, good luck with Alfreds, hope enjoy it.

AJ

[Linked Image]
A
A
Scorpio, you did a great rendition of Amazing Grace & The Entertainer, thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
Alux

Kawai CA95
Alfred's Adult All-In-One Level 2
Alfred's Adult All-In-One Level 1 Graduate
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by scorpio
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
We understand more now about the biomechanics of playing the piano.

I recently purchased a book (arrives today) just on this topic. I want to be more aware of how the fingers, arms and body coordinate while playing the piano. More importantly, I hope to learn how to reduce tension and strain, and to avoid injury.

The book comes with terrific feedback and reviews:
What Every Pianists Needs to Know About the Body by Thomas Carson Mark

I appreciate that link. I'm always trying to understand physiology better. I have another good book on playing that discusses much about physiology: The Art of Practicing by Madeline Bruser. She gets into things like yoga and meditation. It is interesting and good.
I'm sure you people are interested in playing piano without stress, strain, and injury. Not becoming a physical training coach. A person could study a bunch on physiology. I have had to. I'm no great athlete. I've searched out the best trainer I could find. I have a Coach who could tell you all about the physiology of piano playing. Yet he has never played piano. He understands physiology that well. I would suggest though that people who want to reduce stress, strain, and avoid injury. You might be interested in his mobility. It does a ton for a person. It is a fountain of youth. It isn't exercise either. Just moving your body through all the ways it can move everyday. You'd be surprised what it does for you. More than anything else in exercise, it has made it possible for me to do things like play piano.

Based on that. My biggest problem physiologically in playing piano is the bad habit of extending my shoulders. Piano will seek this out and leave you in ruins. Even though, interestingly, piano ain't any stress weight wise. The best example I can give on extending shoulders is the difference between body builders and athletes. Body builders have extended shoulders and always have problems with their shoulders as a result. They actually build up those extender muscles. Because it looks impressive. But look at boxers and other athletes. Their shoulders are packed. They're down and in.

Scorpio.... I appreciated those pieces. Nicely done.

My teacher and I are at page 108, 109 in the book. I take to those Blues songs easily. Anything with rhythm. We have slowed way down on getting through. The reason is the development of my nervous system/autonomic mind, in playing. It has held me up. Our focus right now is on getting this developed. I can play anything. Doesn't matter what. Just get in that time to get that part of the mind developed. Still, when I play other things. I come back to the book because it is focused on developing this part of the mind. Playing anything else is more sort of a little break. Then back to focus. I'm coming along. My teacher knows this is very important.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ajames
Hi all,
I started Alfred's Adult All-in-one level 1 a few months ago and I'm up to around Brahms Lullaby. Self-teaching for now. It sounds like many of you are moving on the Book 2 right now, hope there are some others still here to carry on the level 1 torch!

I've recently gone back to the Hanon's exercises (skipped 'em the first time through)-- its nice to have some brain-dead things to do on those days I'm tired or just not playing well for whatever reason. What do others think of the "left fingers HIGH!" instruction in the book. I've been ignoring it so far.
AJ

I'll be there with you

E
E
Londonderry Air from Alfred's All Time Favorites, level 1. Played on Yamaha P105 and recorded using Wavepad (a free program from NCH which is very easy to use). Londonderry Air

I used the 1st ending without a repeat since I thought the 2nd ending was too low.

Struggled to keep the LH soft.

Ed (Out in the West Texas town of El Paso)
Yamaha P255
Mad week last week! Arrival of new baby in the family.
A welcome to Barry 1963 to the forum, everyone is so helpful here.
I have had little piano practice and not covered any of my theory practice either over the last week with all the excitement.
Just had a little dabble last night and it was wonderful to get back to it.
I have ordered Masterworks Classics and have some Christmas songs and of course progressing with theory. Along with "Entertainer" and "Amazing Grace" to complete then revision of the AIO book 1, I have plenty to go at. I am very happy since it's not that long ago I posted 'Stuck' and felt quite desperate. So, Barry and any other newbies you are in the right place at the right time when you find yourself here.

Adult returner
Practising Mindfulness Piano

N
N
Hey y'all!!! My name is Andy and I've just started on book 1 (Alfred's Self Teaching Adult Piano course) in the last week and already up to about page 30. Practice time is usually from the time the kids go to school in the morning until they come home in the afternoon which is nice and quiet. Will also review from the beginning up to where I'm currently at in "the book" until proficiency and muscle memory are adequate.

P.S. Introductory post over in the "Tell Us About Yourself" thread.

Currently banging away on a Casio CTK-4200
S
S
Hi again all;

First of all welcome to the newcomers.

And congratulations Scorpio, both for your very smooth recordings and for being graduated from Alfred's 1. Hopefully I will be following you to Alfred's 2 thread soon since I too have some progress to report.

Here is my recording of "The Ballad of Gilligan's Isle".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFZWFMqh_jM

This piece took me a lot longer than I expected. Only the last piece left now, I am hoping the it was not put there to be an end game boss smile

Casio Privia PX-350
Alfred's Adult All-in-One Book 1 Graduate
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Well done sydnal, quite a tricky piece I can see why it might have taken you longer than expected. Nicely played the end is in sight

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
sydnal, Another quality piece! Thank you. Thank you. thumb

[Linked Image]
Page 275 of 452 1 2 273 274 275 276 277 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission