2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I'm not familiar with Horowitz's Mozart, but I don't imagine he'd play it particularly well.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
I'm not familiar with Horowitz's Mozart, but I don't imagine he'd play it particularly well.

Yeah, it's just "terrible." grin

Maybe take a taste of this:

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

The worst!!

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW

The worst!!

Not the worst, but I don't like it. One thing I do like, though, is how he brings out the bass at 2:29.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Originally Posted by JoelW
The worst!!

Yes indeed -- it stinks!!! ha

This really is related to the discussion on another thread (which I avoided like the plague) about what "musical" means.

To me, anyone who says flat-out something like that Horowitz's Mozart is terrible is just showing a rigid and limited view of music. What it means is that Horowitz isn't following that person's strong views on what Mozart playing should be, and (I guess) on how scores should be observed -- and that the person isn't allowing for different meaningful ways.

I can see all kinds of things that Horowitz isn't doing, and I can see ways in which he violates certain notions of what is correct. But I also see much that is extremely wonderful, and I think it's GREAT -- despite what's not there. I also happen to like it. smile

I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy and greatly admire Mozart performances that 'purists' would hold up as better models. I'm not sure I'd like any of them better than Horowitz's, and I suspect that some of them would put me to sleep.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Even if I abandon all my views about "what Mozart playing should be," and look at this performance completely abstractly, it is still not to my taste. I wouldn't like it as Bach, I wouldn't like it as Beethoven, and I don't like it as Mozart. (Of course, this is all relative.)

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy and greatly admire Mozart performances that 'purists' would hold up as better models.

Hmm - did we sneak in a change from _________________ to "purists?" grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
Even if I abandon all my views about "what Mozart playing should be," and look at this performance completely abstractly, it is still not to my taste....

NO PROBLEM!!!

It would only be a problem if you also saw fit to say that it's no good.

Hmm - did we sneak in a change....

Yes.
I made a mistake in including any personal reference, and I took it out.
I'd appreciate if you take it out of your post too.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Even if I abandon all my views about "what Mozart playing should be," and look at this performance completely abstractly, it is still not to my taste....

NO PROBLEM!!!

Hmm - did we sneak in a change....

Yes.
I made a mistake in including any personal reference, and I took it out.
I'd appreciate if you take it out of your post too.

You're still editing a mile a minute. ha

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

NO PROBLEM!!!

Although I tend to agree with stores on most subjects, I think what he often misses is the fact that there is a large spectrum between no good and excellent. So either he deeply admires something, or it's awful. Usually, it's awful. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually, I found his Mozart quite beautiful as he got older. But he took some obvious liberties, some to very great but obviously 19th-century effect.

You'll have to decide for yourself. But I will tell you that critics, concert presenters and audition judges will expect you to take them in a public recital but not at the audition.

Although I tend to agree with stores on most subjects, I think what he often misses is the fact that there is a large spectrum between no good and excellent. So either he deeply admires something, or it's awful. Usually, it's awful. grin

And it's more than that. It's not just that there's a lot of room between those things, but also that there's such a thing as "This isn't how I think it should be and I think it stinks, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not good or great, even if I have no clue how that could be possible." smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Always take [Beethoven's repeats]. Always, all of them. Never ignore them.

I generally agree, but I have a hard time stomaching those occasional Development-Recap repeats. I'm working on op.2/2 right now, and it just feels too repetitive. In that sonata, the Recap is already so similar to the Exposition; I just don't think we need to hear this material four times!

-J

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

And it's more than that. It's not just that there's a lot of room between those things, but also that there's such a thing as "This isn't how I think it should be and I think it stinks, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not good or great, even if I have no clue how that could be possible." smile

Well, this just comes down to understanding the barrier between opinion and fact. There are certain things that you think are bad, and it's just your opinion, and there are things that are just wrong. In this case, stores is clearly stating an opinion and not trying to pass it as a fact, and so he hasn't done anything wrong yet. Where he does go wrong is when he starts labeling people as ignorant because they have a different opinion.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by beet31425

I generally agree, but I have a hard time stomaching those occasional Development-Recap repeats. I'm working on op.2/2 right now, and it just feels too repetitive. In that sonata, the Recap is already so similar to the Exposition; I just don't think we need to hear this material four times!

-J

I'd leave out the second repeat. Beethoven went a little over the top there.

Regards,

Polyphonist
....is clearly stating an opinion and not trying to pass it as a fact, and so he hasn't done anything wrong yet....

....but that's just it: I guess you missed it, but he said it's NOT just an opinion.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
....is clearly stating an opinion and not trying to pass it as a fact, and so he hasn't done anything wrong yet....

....but that's just it: I guess you missed it, but he said it's NOT just an opinion.

So let him think what he wants to think. Don't tear your hair out over it. It's not like he's forcing you to share his opinion. I happen to agree with him, but I think in this particular instance it's less black-and-white than he's making it out to be.

Regards,

Polyphonist
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

-J

And yet, it's interesting that he also puts a second repeat in the first movement of op.10/2, but not in op.10/1. So at least by op.10, he's not just doing it automatically (as perhaps Haydn does), but, rather, makes a conscious decision to include the repeat in one sonata and not the other. I don't like it in op.10/2 either.

-Jason

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

-J

And yet, it's interesting that he also puts a second repeat in the first movement of op.10/2, but not in op.10/1. So at least by op.10, he's not just doing it automatically (as perhaps Haydn does), but, rather, makes a conscious decision to include the repeat in one sonata and not the other. I don't like it in op.10/2 either.

-Jason

The reason I don't like those repeats is because they destroy the natural format of a sonata, with the development bridging the outer expositional sections. The exposition repeat does not do this.

Regards,

Polyphonist
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The reason I don't like those repeats is because they destroy the natural format of a sonata, with the development bridging the outer expositional sections. The exposition repeat does not do this.

Exactly: I agree. But if we are to act on our intuition here (as I think we should), we have to have the courage to say: Here is a specific thing that Beethoven unambiguously tells us do, and we are choosing to ignore him.

Assuming you worship Beethoven as I do, that does take some courage. smile

-Jason

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission