2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#2140982 08/29/13 09:41 PM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
How important are repeats in Beethoven's sonatas? Did he construct his sonatas in a way that the repeats are crucial, or can they simply be taken out like much of Mozart's? I'm aware that the answer is probably different depending on the sonata but in this case I would be asking specifically about op. 2/1.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Always take them. Always, all of them. Never ignore them.

I don't know about Mozart's repeats, but it's a bit questionable to take them out. Is that the standard performing practice these days?

Concerning repeats, I think that when you're performing for people who are not familiar with the work, repeating is a good idea, even when the work is technically weaker without it (I'm thinking of Chopin's 3rd, which I'm hopefully going to perform soon).

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
...when the work is technically weaker without it (I'm thinking of Chopin's 3rd...

You think the Chopin 3rd is weaker without the repeat? I violently disagree.

Regards,

Polyphonist
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
It's up in the air for a lot of people. However, I'm planning performing it with the repeat.

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

P
P
For a lot of competitions, they encourage NOT to take repeats, or even strictly forbid them. If you're preparing it for a competition, there's no point in practicing with the repeat; however, if you're learning it for a recital, or something similar where the audience appreciates the music, by all means, take it!

Everyday is a great day.
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Always take them. Always, all of them. Never ignore them.

I don't know about Mozart's repeats, but it's a bit questionable to take them out. Is that the standard performing practice these days?

Don't really know. I heard K330 by Uchida first and the discovered Horowitz's and was a little stunned at first when he didn't play ANY of the repeats but after a couple more listens I started to strongly agree with Horowitz's decision. Now every time I hear the regular version I think the repeats sound so forced. I also feel that way about the Beethoven sonata. Certain repeats after what should be the ending cadence feel so forced and displeasing to my ear. Hey - I can always take out the repeats at home for my pleasure. grin

Congratulations on playing the Chopin sonata BTW.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Read up on "sonata form."

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
...when the work is technically weaker without it (I'm thinking of Chopin's 3rd...

Agreed. It drags on with the repeat imo. Don't get me wrong, I love the exposition, but when it's been played through once, I want to hear the development section!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Horowitz, Joel, is NOT the pianist you want for your model with Mozart, or Beethoven. His Beethoven, especially, was not good. That said, I'm quite surprised that you're even asking about whether it is proper, or not, to take repeats.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW

Agreed. It drags on with the repeat imo. Don't get me wrong, I love the exposition, but when it's been played through once, I want to hear the development section!

Agree extremely on all counts.

That exposition is one of my very very favorite things in music. It's one of my very favorite things of anything. But repeating it ____s up the piece. smile

I agree with taking all repeats in Beethoven. I mean, I'm not sure if I agree with it in an "on-principle" kind of way; it's just that I can't think of one where it seems to make sense not to take it.

Last edited by Mark_C; 08/29/13 10:37 PM. Reason: Adding the part about Beethoven
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

Agree extremely on all counts.

That exposition is one of my very very favorite things in music. It's one of my very favorite things of anything. But repeating it ____s up the piece. smile

Do you think the repeat ____s up the Schubert Bflat, or 959? Just curious...

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Love the repeat in D960! You go through the exposition the second time wondering what on earth is going to happen in the development...

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with D959...

Last edited by Kuanpiano; 08/29/13 10:38 PM.

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

Originally Posted by stores
Do you think the repeat ____s up the Schubert Bflat, or 959? Just curious...

First of all please see what I added to the above post. (It might blunt whatever outrage you might feel about what I might say about the Schubert.) grin

edit: I wrote this next thing mistakenly thinking that 959 was the B-flat. (I realized it when I saw Kuan's post.) So, this next thing is about the B-flat:

I'm not as clear on the Schubert. I personally would never take it when performing it publicly (not that I've done it -- just talking hypothetically) smile ....but when playing it for myself I think I'd ALWAYS want to take it.

In hearing performances by others, I'm generally very glad that they don't; I don't think I've ever been to a performance where anyone did. But with certain few performers, I would hope that they would.

So....about 959, which was what you asked about:

Again, I wouldn't put it nearly as strongly as I did about the Chopin. But I do prefer it without the repeat, far more so than with 960.

So, for what it's worth, I guess there's sort of a "hierarchy" for me (all IMO, all subjective, and all subject to laughter and mocking, perhaps deserved): ha

Beethoven: Don't even think of not taking repeats
Schubert D. 960: I love the repeat, wouldn't want to do without it when playing it for myself but wouldn't 'inflict' it on any audience
Schubert D. 959: Please omit the repeat but I won't drop dead if you take it
Chopin Sonata #3: I'll drop dead if you take it. smile

Last edited by Mark_C; 08/29/13 10:48 PM.
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Horowitz, Joel, is NOT the pianist you want for your model with Mozart, or Beethoven. His Beethoven, especially, was not good. That said, I'm quite surprised that you're even asking about whether it is proper, or not, to take repeats.

That's your opinion. I love Horowitz's Mozart. To me, it is the best. smile

And I really don't think it's a question to be surprised at. If major competitions ban repeats, why should I not question the validity of certain repeats on the notion that they may be a result of pure convention?

Last edited by JoelW; 08/29/13 11:07 PM. Reason: added the bottom paragraph
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Do you think the repeat was just a conventional thing?

M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Basic question. Why do composers write repeats in sonata form structures? I understand why in da capo structures, especially in the baroque era, that allow for enhanced ornamentaion in the repeat, and in most cases are needed to get you back to the original key.

That exposition [i.e. 1st mvt of Chopin Sonata #3] is one of my very very favorite things in music. It's one of my very favorite things of anything. But repeating it ____s up the piece. smile
Do you think the repeat was just a conventional thing?

Yes.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

And I really don't think it's a question to be surprised at. If major competitions ban repeats, why should I not question the validity of certain repeats on the notion that they may be a result of pure convention?

It's not really just an opinion... his Mozart, and Beethoven, are terrible. The fact that you like his Mozart brings me back to the point about you even questioning the validity of repeats, which, obviously, you missed the point on.

♪ ≠ $

Speaking as a huge Horowitz fan, I agree that he's not particularly a model for Mozart or Beethoven, but this:

....It's not really just an opinion... his Mozart, and Beethoven, are terrible.

....is, at best, just an opinion, and more likely I'd say, pretty extreme.

The fact that you like his Mozart brings me back to the point about you even questioning the validity of repeats, which, obviously, you missed the point on.

I'm with you on the repeats, but I'm not ashamed to say that I'm with Joel in loving Horowitz's Mozart.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

It's not really just an opinion
... his Mozart, and Beethoven, are terrible.

Wrong.

The fact that you like his Mozart brings me back to the point about you even questioning the validity of repeats, which, obviously, you missed the point on.

Did you even make a point? Honestly, I even looked back at your post to make sure before I wrote this. I don't see a point, all I see is you stating that Horowitz is not the model to use for Mozart and Beethoven. You didn't provide any real substance behind that statement. Please inform me of what you mean. And please, don't tell me to go do my homework as a cop-out! wink

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission