2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
62 members (ChrisGoesPiano, AaronSF, accordeur, chopinetto, c++, 16 invisible), 574 guests, and 493 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D. H. Baldwin C172
#2140812 08/29/13 01:56 PM
OP Offline
So I've been searching thru these forums and other sites trying to find the definitive answer about the quality, value, history, and specifications of my D. H. Baldwin C172 Grand Piano serno 58249.

I have seen everything from its a mediocre piano made by Korean Sammick to bluebookofpianos.com where it says the original value has increased from 7k to 12k???

"RESALE PRICES of USED GRAND PIANOS 1985 - 1995

These brand names listed here accounted for over 97% of all Grand Pianos sold in the United States during the last 20 years. Used, in excellent condition - some are worth more than original price. These models shown here represent more than 94% of that majority. Not all brand names are listed and some current prices are withheld by request of the manufacturer, who they feel pricing should be done by their dealers, there is no comment regarding these instruments, we are simply honoring that factory's request.
BRAND NAME MODEL SIZE 1985 1995
BALDWIN D.H./ HOWARD C172 5'8" $7,100 $12,184"

Can someone please set the record straight?

Thanks!!!!!!

Re: D. H. Baldwin C172
Don Ivie #2140818 08/29/13 02:13 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Don, and welcome to Piano World!

I almost bought a D.H. Baldwin G172 (5’8”) back when I was shopping around for a first baby grand. In my research, like you, I found out that the piano was not a “real” Baldwin, and was indeed made by Samick in Korea and sold by Baldwin dealers as a lower price-point, entry level grand.

I my case, I was going to pay the seller's asking price, without negotiations, ($3000) and paid him a down payment/earnest money until I could have the piano moved, at which time I was to pay the balance in cash. This was on a Saturday evening. After I thought I had secured the purchase of the piano, and scheduled a mover to move the piano that following Tuesday, the seller called me that Sunday evening and said his soon to be X-wife had decided not to sell the piano. A few days later, the same piano was back on Craigslist for $4500 (originally advertised for $3000) with the same phone number.

I was very disappointed initially, not because I missed out on the piano, but the way the seller handled the situation. All he had to do was be honest with me and tell me straight up he wanted more money for the piano than he had advertised it for… but that is another story.

However, fate was on my side (some call that being blessed smile ). I ended up with a better piano for not much more money and enjoyed the heck out of it until I upgraded again.

All that said, the asking prices you mentioned are way high in my view. I still think that is a $3000 piano, only if it is in excellent condition.

My advice to you is worth about what it cost. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Don Ivie #2140824 08/29/13 02:27 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A 2nd line 5'8" grand from the mid-80's will never be worth that amount in the open market. Just for reference, $12k today can buy you a new piano that size that's better than that used one, with a warranty.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Don Ivie #2140828 08/29/13 02:35 PM
OP Offline
It's hard for me to believe it's not worth more than that. It sounds absolutely amazing, the construction seems solid as a rock and it looks beautifully crafted with a gorgeous mahogany finish. I guess I should get an appraisal but not sure what good that will do other than satisfy my curiosity lol

Any idea how to tell when it was manufactured? And are all C172's 5'8"?

Don Ivie #2140894 08/29/13 05:19 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The numbers in the model probably represent the size in centimeters, so it rounds to 5'8".

If you love how it plays, and you're going to keep it, don't worry so much about what the piano is worth (unless for an insurance appraisal). Unlike the hype you read in various places on the internet, the vast majority of pianos don't appreciate in value. Keep in mind that an online appraisal, without actually inspecting the condition of the piano in-person, is basically pointless. You'd do better hiring a technician who has an awareness of the current piano market (has some familiarity with the retail and resale market in your area) to do a more personalized appraisal.

Pianos from the 1980's from Korea were pretty new to our market at that time, and were not well-received at first by pianists and technicians (think back to when Korean cars first came to the US, and the great strides in quality, elegance, and performance they've made since then). This is only a generalization, and I'm sure there are some isolated examples of a great instrument or model out there - hopefully yours is one of them.

Perhaps a someone on the forum with a Pierce Piano Atlas will respond with a build date based on the serial number you've provided. I'm sorry I don't have one handy.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha C2x and C3x Cost???
by navi9187 - 12/02/20 04:10 PM
plz help ID this piece :)
by Chummy - 12/02/20 03:25 PM
CLP 735 vs CA49 vs HP704
by Einaudio - 12/02/20 02:49 PM
Is there a term for this?
by TBell - 12/02/20 02:04 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,218
Posts3,029,742
Members99,451
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission