Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
37 registered members (Bett, Abdol, apianostudent, Boboulus, dobro, 3am_stargazing, Charades, 8 invisible), 3,064 guests, and 1,055 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: voxpops] #2140504 08/29/13 12:09 AM
O
o0Ampy0o Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
It could have been a small sole proprietorship. What is if was? Would the root situation be any different? What if it had been your information and silencing the leak somehow presented a way to salvage your work?

Taking a stance that a large corporation is inherently evil and honoring a request to respect their property is bowing to the monster is absurd. This hints at a false dichotomy. It isn't us against them and therefore we should condone every perceived strike against them.

The point that the secret is out is moot.

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: o0Ampy0o] #2140536 08/29/13 01:33 AM
O
ONfrank Offline
O
Originally Posted by o0Ampy0o
This sounds similar to justifying the spreading of gossip, hear-say and conjecture. With regards to the leaking of confidential information there is a stage where decency and respect comes into play for at least some people. Clearly for some people the concept of respect and doing the decent thing does not enter their minds. People like to ride the wave of mob mentality like sheep in a herd and reap the benefits it avails. Chiming in for open discussion of whatever has entered the public domain regardless of how it got there is common. It is a diversion to bully any opposition into submission. Submission means we get to know and use all that can be squeezed out of a system. You might believe sharing/spreading confidential information is different than using confidential property (i.e. cracked software) but it isn't when it is accessed through a form of unauthorized release. Just as gossip mongering is unsavory, so is treating leaked confidential information as though it is somehow the world's to do whatever it chooses. We can participate in the thievery or we can choose not to participate, if not help clean up the mess after a burglary.

This is a general "you" or "some people" and not necessarily voxpops as I do not believe the comment was intended to represent their personal point of view or belief as much as it was intended to provoke discussion of this thread's topic.

LOL. "Confidential" information that has been published in print and already in the hands of people who presumably don't have NDA's.

Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: voxpops] #2140543 08/29/13 02:27 AM
O
o0Ampy0o Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Yeah all that makes it okay. wink

Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: o0Ampy0o] #2140627 08/29/13 09:09 AM
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V

This sounds similar to justifying the spreading of gossip, hear-say and conjecture.

None of the substantive information related to the "leak" is hearsay or gossip, it is fact.

But the point of this thread is not to bash the other site for withdrawing information, but rather to question the whole notion of censorship, and to ask at what point it becomes counterproductive. It's more of a philosophical debate, if you will. As I said before, it's the shutting down of this kind of discussion that worries me far more than trying to stop a leak.

With regards to the leaking of confidential information there is a stage where decency and respect comes into play for at least some people.

I agree with you. However, I don't feel I owe an inanimate entity, such as a musical instrument corporation, any particular respect. The respect due is between people - and it works both ways!

Chiming in for open discussion of whatever has entered the public domain regardless of how it got there is common. It is a diversion to bully any opposition into submission.

It can be, but is not necessarily for bullying purposes. That seems to be a generalization.

You might believe sharing/spreading confidential information is different than using confidential property (i.e. cracked software) but it isn't when it is accessed through a form of unauthorized release. Just as gossip mongering is unsavory, so is treating leaked confidential information as though it is somehow the world's to do whatever it chooses. We can participate in the thievery or we can choose not to participate, if not help clean up the mess after a burglary.

This seems to me to be a distortion of reality. There was no theft - nothing that can even be compared to a theft. There was, however, a mistake made. You may have noticed that no confidential (or even public domain) information has actually been shared by anyone contributing to this thread.

...I do not believe the comment was intended to represent their personal point of view or belief as much as it was intended to provoke discussion of this thread's topic.

Exactly. I feel it's an important and worthwhile discussion to have.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: voxpops] #2140636 08/29/13 09:34 AM
A
anotherscott Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by voxpops
With regards to the leaking of confidential information there is a stage where decency and respect comes into play for at least some people.

I agree with you. However, I don't feel I owe an inanimate entity, such as a musical instrument corporation, any particular respect. The respect due is between people - and it works both ways!

While I don't buy into "corporations are people," the agreements and respect are between real people who are at these companies.

Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: anotherscott] #2140637 08/29/13 09:37 AM
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by anotherscott

While I don't buy into "corporations are people," the agreements and respect are between real people who are at these companies.

Of course they are, but when you wear the "corporate hat" your agenda becomes that of the corporation, not a personal one. I mean that the respect is due between individuals at a personal level. The corporation cares not a jot for you or your situation.

mabraman, 2015
Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: voxpops] #2140766 08/29/13 12:35 PM
CyberGene Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I am fed up with the cr*ppy corporate bull*h*t talk over here... Guys, either say what the DP is or stop with the Edward Snowden must die kind of talk. It's just plain unfair to say "I know a big secret but I am not gonna share it" and then concentrate on some totally redundant stuff laugh

Last edited by CyberGene; 08/29/13 12:37 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: CyberGene] #2140787 08/29/13 01:12 PM
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I am fed up with the cr*ppy corporate bull*h*t talk over here... Guys, either say what the DP is or stop with the Edward Snowden must die kind of talk. It's just plain unfair to say "I know a big secret but I am not gonna share it" and then concentrate on some totally redundant stuff laugh

The aim of the thread is really not about the DP, but I take your point, as it keeps veering back to that - I wonder why? wink

All I will say is that, for those frustrated by the lack of hard info being put out here, it is down to the need to show respect for certain individuals. Others, who have not been involved in these interactions, are not morally obliged to maintain silence, IMO.

This thread will die a natural death soon enough, and apologies to those who have felt frustrated, but I did think that forum protocol (not new DPs) was a topic that deserved an airing.

mabraman, 2015
Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: voxpops] #2140802 08/29/13 01:30 PM
36251 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
To anyone that knows what DP is being talked about - share it. What's the worse that could happen? You'll also test big brother at this site smile

AG N2 | ES 110 | REFACE CP | GK MK & MP amps
Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: voxpops] #2140840 08/29/13 03:02 PM
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
...This thread will die a natural death soon enough, and apologies to those who have felt frustrated, but I did think that forum protocol (not new DPs) was a topic that deserved an airing.

Yup, but when the word is out , it's out and people are an impatient species who are just anxious to know everything about the latest and the greatest. I must admit I started googling right away, but didn't find my answer. Perhaps someone with knowledge about the new boards who isn't bound by corporate obligations can give a hint. Or just bluntly tell what this is all about.

By the way I understand and agree that a company can delete information on it's own site or forum that is released by accident and shouldn't be out in the open (yet). On public fora that are not in any way bound by NDA's from a certain company that is a different story.

Anyway, september is almost there. Since that is probably the month for new release(es) we'll know soon enough...

Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: JFP] #2140843 08/29/13 03:09 PM
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by JFP
Yup, but when the word is out , it's out and people are an impatient species who are just anxious to know everything about the latest and the greatest.
Absolutely understood.

By the way I understand and agree that a company can delete information on it's own site or forum that is released by accident and shouldn't be out in the open (yet). On public fora that are not in any way bound by NDA's from a certain company that is a different story.
Agreed. And only due to an unfortunate coincidence it would be on here now.

Anyway, september is almost there. Since that is probably the month for new release(es) we'll know soon enough...
Yes you will.

mabraman, 2015
Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: voxpops] #2140844 08/29/13 03:09 PM
CyberGene Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I started googling right away too, by increasing the model number of a popular digital piano. Who would have guessed that they have actually decreased the model number wink

Last edited by CyberGene; 08/29/13 03:10 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: CyberGene] #2140846 08/29/13 03:10 PM
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I started googling right away too, by increasing the model number of a popular digital piano. Who would have guessed that they have actually decreased the model number wink

Who indeed? wink

mabraman, 2015
Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: voxpops] #2140863 08/29/13 04:01 PM
O
o0Ampy0o Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O

This sounds similar to justifying the spreading of gossip, hear-say and conjecture.

None of the substantive information related to the "leak" is hearsay or gossip, it is fact.

On that point, I wasn't suggesting this disclosed information was gossip or hearsay. I was saying that your defense was similar to justifying the spread of gossip and hear-say.

Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: voxpops] #2140865 08/29/13 04:06 PM
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
You guys are such a tease ;-) Define "popular" ; could still be any model or brand. I pass...

Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: o0Ampy0o] #2140871 08/29/13 04:15 PM
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V

On that point, I wasn't suggesting this disclosed information was gossip or hearsay. I was saying that your defense was similar to justifying the spread of gossip and hear-say.

My "defense" as you call it was to suggest that disseminating published factual information is legitimate. I stand by that, and do not see how that is justification for the spreading of gossip or hearsay.

Last edited by voxpops; 08/29/13 04:53 PM.

mabraman, 2015
Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: voxpops] #2140873 08/29/13 04:30 PM
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
I would like to thank everyone for participating in this thread. Whether you have agreed with me or not, all the input has served as a reaffirmation of the need for places where we can talk freely without fear of being shut down because others are concerned that corporate or business interests are not being served. At the same time, I do not condemn anyone with such extramural interests for protecting their turf, but it does suggest a certain conflict of interests around the maintenance of free and open discussion: the purpose of a forum.

mabraman, 2015
Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: voxpops] #2140876 08/29/13 04:32 PM
MacMacMac Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This whole thing sounds like a fish story. To summarize:

Persons unknown have censored information unknown from forum unknown. Pressed for details, the OP declines, citing the need to protect persons unknown.

It sounds quite dubious.

Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: MacMacMac] #2140879 08/29/13 04:41 PM
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
This whole thing sounds like a fish story. To summarize:

Persons unknown have censored information unknown from forum unknown. Pressed for details, the OP declines, citing the need to protect persons unknown.

It sounds quite dubious.

Lol! Yes it does sound very dubious when you put it like that! wink

mabraman, 2015
Re: OT: How much censorship is legitimate in a forum? [Re: voxpops] #2140920 08/29/13 06:24 PM
P
PossumES8Krome61 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Could someone post at least the sum of the 3 digits in the model number? (If it is 3). Also is the second letter of the manufacturer the same as the last letter?

4 Years ago pictures and videos of the PS3 slim were leaked. Some people actually thought Sony planted them to drive interest and hype. Likely someone found a prototype and posted the info.

Sony did not try to stop this. It actually helped sales.

I think censorship is okay when it is offensive, threatening etc. but forums are very useful in getting peoples opinions since we all like and dislike different things.

Kawai Es8
Korg Krome 61
Yamaha P125
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I just bought a new Kawai K. 300 vertical
by shirlkirsten - 01/29/20 12:36 AM
Kobe Bryant the Piano Builder
by TimM_980 - 01/29/20 12:07 AM
Arturia Keylab 88, any opinions??
by Pianero - 01/28/20 11:00 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,590
Posts2,918,590
Members95,768
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission