Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
116 registered members (amyram, Animisha, AlphaBravoCharlie, 36251, AntonioC, anotherscott, Aimer, Amedeus, ando, Arty Movie, 18 invisible), 1,653 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Sonic differences between Ivory 2 & American Concert D? #2132823
08/14/13 01:43 PM
08/14/13 01:43 PM
Toronto, Canada
S
Strat Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Strat  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
S

Toronto, Canada
Some people who already have Ivory 2 have also purchased the American Concert D and I'm wondering what the differences are between the two.

Can't seem to find anybody who has had experience using both, but I'm hopeful that somebody will chime in with an answer. smile

Started playing in mid-June 2007. Self-taught... for now. :p
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Sonic differences between Ivory 2 & American Concert D? [Re: Strat] #2132847
08/14/13 03:22 PM
08/14/13 03:22 PM
Atlanta GA USA
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
bfb  Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

Atlanta GA USA
Ivory 2 is a suite of 3 pianos - a Bosendorfer, a German Steinway, and a Yamaha. in addition to the basic Ivory 2 program and its 3 pianos, there are several other sampled pianos you can purchase separately, either as an add-on to Ivory 2 (they will just show up as an additional piano in the library) or they can be purchased as stand-alone pianos if you don't want Ivory 2 as the base platform. Those are the Italian Grand (a Fazioli), the American Concert D (a New York made Steinway) and a suite of several upright pianos. now having said that- i know the American Concert D can be stand-alone, i'm not completely sure of others. I'm sure its easily determined on synthogy's website.

Most comparisons you see on the forum are between the German D and the American D. I have both and frankly i couldn't tell you which i like better. it just depend on the mood i'm in, the type music i'm playing, and how my ears respond on any given day. As someone else once described it - The German has a "silvery" sound- its a new piano, has a more metallic ring to it. The American has a "golden" tone, it is an older piano and has that broken in sound and has a "woodier" timbre to it. The American is a larger program and has longer samples and 18 velocity levels vs 16 for the German- for some people that is a big deal, for the type stuff i like to play it doesn't mean that much to me.

I tend to really like the American through my speaker setup with very little reverb added. I let the actual room i'm playing in add the reverb. I much prefer the German through my headset- i feel i can control it better. All -in-all - for what i play i would pick the German if you put a gun to my head. But from a value perspective- i would say buy the American first- particularly if you like the Steinway sound. I don't care much for the Bos nor the Yamaha in Ivory 2- mainly because i just like the steinway sound better - so i've wound up paying a lot more for the use of the German Grand piano vs the American. The American D as a stand alone is a terrific value. So try it first- if you love it- you're done! I would certainly recommend it. If you really want multiple pianos, well the Ivory 2 program gives you three and they are all very usable.

I think Synthogy does a great job with their pianos.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
Re: Sonic differences between Ivory 2 & American Concert D? [Re: Strat] #2138071
08/24/13 02:46 AM
08/24/13 02:46 AM
Tempe, Arizona
AZ_Astro Offline
500 Post Club Member
AZ_Astro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tempe, Arizona
I have both Ivory 2 and American D. I love both products and am in general agreement with bfb.

I also agree that the Yamaha and Bosendorfer in Ivory 2 are sub-standard. They really don't hold up against the German-D and I never use them.

So - if it comes down to money, just get the American D and be happy. It is very nice.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
Re: Sonic differences between Ivory 2 & American Concert D? [Re: Strat] #2138107
08/24/13 05:50 AM
08/24/13 05:50 AM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
I wonder what are sonic differences between the Ivory 2 pianos and the Ivory 1 (v1.5). I've had the latter for several years, which includes the German Steinway, the Bosie, the Yamaha, and the add-on Fazioli.

Do their Ivory 2 counterparts sound much different?

AZ_Astro: I wouldn't call the Bosie and Yamaha substandard. They're just different piano sounds.

The Yamaha is much brighter than the others ... that's Yamaha's sound. It's too bright for me, but it's hardly substandard.

And the Bosie sound is unique among pianos. It's not substandard. It's just very different. I find it better for Chopin than the Ivory German Steinway or the Galaxy Vintage D. It doesn't have the resonance of many modern pianos, nor the bell-like quality of a Steinway. But it's just perfect for some music.

Re: Sonic differences between Ivory 2 & American Concert D? [Re: bfb] #2138190
08/24/13 10:10 AM
08/24/13 10:10 AM
Canada
M
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Melodialworks Music  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Canada
Originally Posted by bfb

I tend to really like the American through my speaker setup with very little reverb added.

I agree. Seems to work well with just a touch of reverb added, to fill out and warm up the sound. A gorgeous sounding piano with superior playability.

Re: Sonic differences between Ivory 2 & American Concert D? [Re: Strat] #2138991
08/25/13 10:21 PM
08/25/13 10:21 PM
C
composingkeys3 Offline
composingkeys3  Offline
C

Hi MacMacMac,

The Ivory II Grand Pianos has almost twice the amount of samples per note in comparison to Ivory 1.5. This will be the most obvious difference simply because, there are quite a bit more softer dynamic levels and some louder dynamics that were not in 1.5 giving you more expression and variety when playing.

There are other major features as well from the Ivory II Engine which is available for all Ivory II products. More information on these features can be found here: http://www.ilio.com/products/synthogy-instruments/ivoryIImore

Austin
Sales and Technical Support
ILIO
Re: Sonic differences between Ivory 2 & American Concert D? [Re: Strat] #2139026
08/26/13 01:30 AM
08/26/13 01:30 AM
Rocky Mountains
R
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
rnaple  Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

2000 Post Club Member
R

Rocky Mountains
On the Ivory II. I can't agree with the Bosie and Yam being sub standard with the German Steinway being good. I judge just the opposite. Bear in mind that I'm not great at adjusting. There are plenty of presets already.
I find the German Steinway when played lightly/softly....it sounds muffled. Center octave isn't swift. When I bang on it, sounds much better.
Bosendorfer and Yamaha I prefer. Yet they can get too bright. Have to be choosy.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Sonic differences between Ivory 2 & American Concert D? [Re: composingkeys3] #2139078
08/26/13 05:58 AM
08/26/13 05:58 AM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Thanks for the reply. Have you used both Ivory 1 and Ivory 2?
Originally Posted by composingkeys3
The Ivory II Grand Pianos has almost twice the amount of samples per note in comparison to Ivory 1.5. This will be the most obvious difference simply because, there are quite a bit more softer dynamic levels and some louder dynamics that were not in 1.5 giving you more expression and variety when playing.

There are other major features as well from the Ivory II Engine which is available for all Ivory II products. More information on these features can be found here: http://www.ilio.com/products/synthogy-instruments/ivoryIImore

Re: Sonic differences between Ivory 2 & American Concert D? [Re: MacMacMac] #2139768
08/27/13 05:38 PM
08/27/13 05:38 PM
C
composingkeys3 Offline
composingkeys3  Offline
C

Hi MacMacMac,

Yes I have. I personally am a big fan of Steinway so I like using the German D in Ivory Grand Pianos II and I also am a big fan of the Steinway in the American Concert D. The Yamaha and Bosendorfer has it's purposes as well though and brings variety.

Austin
Sales and Technical Support
ILIO
Re: Sonic differences between Ivory 2 & American Concert D? [Re: Strat] #2139835
08/27/13 08:05 PM
08/27/13 08:05 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
It sounds very tempting. It's a shame that Ivory 2 requires an Ilok.

Re: Sonic differences between Ivory 2 & American Concert D? [Re: MacMacMac] #2140115
08/28/13 08:56 AM
08/28/13 08:56 AM
Atlanta GA USA
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
bfb  Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

Atlanta GA USA
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
It sounds very tempting. It's a shame that Ivory 2 requires an Ilok.

i know its a pain, but its not really that bad to live with it. and i wouldn't let it keep me from experiencing a wonderful VST, particularly if you like using software pianos. i think there is great value in Synthogy's product. you can buy the American D online at $179 US. that really is a great purchase, ilok or no ilok.
in my review above i didn't mention how smoothly the Ivory II works in Cantabile. at 256 samples buffer it runs great with no perceived latency (but then again my fingers ain't very fast) and i'm sure somebody with skills could make it run at a smaller buffer pretty easily. it never crashes on me.

Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
Re: Sonic differences between Ivory 2 & American Concert D? [Re: Strat] #2140144
08/28/13 09:50 AM
08/28/13 09:50 AM
US
G
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member
gvfarns  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G

US
I'm still looking hopefully for the day (that is coming as implied by the TrueKeys guy) that iLok will convert into a free-as-in-beer software solution. I can live with some amount of DRM but I'm not going to shell out for a device that does it, that sticks out of my USB port, and that, if lost or broken, makes it difficult or impossible to get my licenses back.

If and when that happens I'll probably buy Ivory and TrueKeys as well.

Last edited by gvfarns; 08/28/13 09:51 AM.
Re: Sonic differences between Ivory 2 & American Concert D? [Re: Strat] #2140242
08/28/13 12:58 PM
08/28/13 12:58 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
I hear you, gv. The recent fiasco with Ilok changed my view from "put off" to "no way". I was just wondering how much better the Ivory 2 pianos are compared to my Ivory 1. I'm hearing that there's some increase in the number of sampling levels, but that's not enough to get me to buy it just now.

Re: Sonic differences between Ivory 2 & American Concert D? [Re: Strat] #2140284
08/28/13 02:21 PM
08/28/13 02:21 PM
Atlanta GA USA
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
bfb  Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

Atlanta GA USA
y'all are hard crowd.

Re: Sonic differences between Ivory 2 & American Concert D? [Re: MacMacMac] #2140533
08/29/13 02:28 AM
08/29/13 02:28 AM
Canada
M
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Melodialworks Music  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Canada
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The recent fiasco with Ilok changed my view from "put off" to "no way".

I've had no issue using Ilok. What has been your experience?

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano strings?
by VladK. 09/15/19 12:13 PM
Screwing capstans directly into keystick.
by johnstaf. 09/15/19 06:58 AM
PW unfriendly to mobile - FIFY.
by Gombessa. 09/15/19 02:50 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,048
Posts2,869,665
Members94,419
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission