2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 30 of 47 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 46 47
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
… and if you're enjoying your ouzo, the plural of opus becomes opa!

Yes, I know, time to ban P*D. grin

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90
I'm completely unfamiliar with Opi. As it is unlikely to be formal English it is unlikely to have been affected by the great vowel shift, therefore it should be the Latin i.

The Latin is 3rd declension not second so opi should be wrong on that basis.

You're right - 3rd declension...

I wonder if Opi started as a joke and caught on as ajoke, then someone thought it was the real deal and it spread even more! lol.(actually I don't think it is widespread at all)

I think I'll give up on opi and go with opera then.

(There are a few Italian irregular nouns that end "a" as plurals too, and they drive me insane, but what can you do?)

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
… and if you're enjoying your ouzo, the plural of opus becomes opa!

Yes, I know, time to ban P*D. grin

lol No, I don't think that's worth a ban - not by a long shot smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

how about 'oooops' as an alternative?! - matches how things might be going here.

Last edited by Dipsy; 07/21/13 12:56 PM.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Wow I see you are wrapping this up! I spent two hours at the piano today and got a better recording... only problem is, my piece is almost 6 minutes long at my top speed - or should I say at my slowness? grin

I will definitely put it aside for a week or two and see if I have the energy to do better. Time to think of something for the video! smile

You see, I knew there was a reason why I selected two pieces that each last less than a minute ... grin

Y
Y
Originally Posted by Dipsy
Thanks Richard. This now just leaves the following pieces:

Scherzo (op 54:5)
French Serenade (op 62:3)
Salon (op 65:4)
Melancholy Waltz (op 68:6)

Just imagine - once all the pieces are taken, I will stop nagging you all!

I listen to the french serenade and I’m in love with it. But Henle 5 is about my abilities, my standard at this particular time is Henle 3, maybe 3/4.

I would really like to give the serenade a try but I’m absolutely not sure if I can handle it till deadline.

Is there a chance to take the piece and to check it out for a week and to give it back to the community after that week if I descry that I can’t sufficiently improve my skills in the remaining time?

A journey of a thousend miles begins with a single step. (Laozi)
I made my first piano-step on June 2010.
I'm getting my eldest back from Newfoundland tomorrow. He has said he might take a look at what's left. I don't think we realized how little that would be. smile

Yester - you are very welcome to try out 'French serenade' for size. But REALLY don't worry about getting it perfect for anyone else's benefit- you're among totally non judgemental friends here many of whom are also stretching themelves. If, however, you would not feel comfortable going public with your performance no one would want you to feel that way..

Just see how you go with it. We'll assume you will take it unless you let us know to the contrary (as opus 62 has no leader ('opled'!) by posting here again, or sending me a PM, as soon as you can.

Piano Dad - it would be great if your eldest did want to take on some of whats left!

Well, if he does he'll have to learn and record within two weeks. That's when we lose him again.

Y
Y
Yester - you are very welcome to try out 'French serenade' for size. But REALLY don't worry about getting it perfect for anyone else's benefit- you're among totally non judgemental friends here many of whom are also stretching themelves. If, however, you would not feel comfortable going public with your performance no one would want you to feel that way..

Just see how you go with it. We'll assume you will take it unless you let us know to the contrary (as opus 62 has no leader ('opled'!) by posting here again, or sending me a PM, as soon as you can.

Piano Dad - it would be great if your eldest did want to take on some of whats left!

Great grin
I:m very curious about the progression of this adventure!

A journey of a thousend miles begins with a single step. (Laozi)
I made my first piano-step on June 2010.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Well,I just want to thank Dipsy/Helen for posting those videos of the unpicked pieces. I wouldn't be learning Canon otherwise. And this is one really fun piece! Can't believe it wasn't grabbed up. But, it's mine now!! Oh, it's still quite rough and there are still wrong notes. But the 5 flats hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. The piece is so pretty that it really motivates me to work on it.

Tomorrow will be my first lesson on it wth my teacher. She's going to be able to tell I've worked on it. I've had both hands together in all parts allbeit slowly. But gosh, this is a pretty piece!!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hi folks,

We are contacting you all to check that you're still on course with your piece, but in the meantime..(in case you were planning on going off on holiday somewhere for a while)... before you go we'd like to confirm the deadline for submitting your recording(s) and the date the recital will start, ...

These are:

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 10TH SEPTEMBER.

LAUNCH DATE: SUNDAY 15th SEPTEMBER

So all recordings should be sent to your opus leader ('opled') by 10th.

Every opus except no 62 now has an opus leader, as peterws has just offered to be opled for opus 43 - thanks Peter!

This is for all opleds, who may enjoy cracking the whip!

PS At the end of the week there will be an updated list of any pieces still untaken, taking account of feedback from you all - in case any have dropped out. So you may get a second chance to grab a favourite!
PPS Dynamobt, I'm really glad you're feeling happier now about your piece.

Last edited by Dipsy; 07/23/13 05:04 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 10TH SEPTEMBER.

LAUNCH DATE: SUNDAY 15th SEPTEMBER

Good! This would mean I have just 6 weeks to learn a piece, and do a recording. Two challenges; I wonder which is the bigger one. wink

So: of the three remaining pieces, the Scherzo op.54/5 seems to be most to my liking.
Dipsy, you are the opus leader of 54. Is the Scherzo still available?

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
Welcome patH - yes Scherzo op 54:5 is still available, and now its yours! smile

That means we have only two pieces left (unless someone drops out - we should know this by the end of the week). These last two are: Salon (op 65:4), and Melancholy Waltz (op 68:6). If you would like to know what they sound like, go back to just under half way on the last page (19) - it is the last two youtube clips in my post.

We are so close to getting all the pieces taken ...

A
A
I spent two hours trying to get a recording today with no luck. Hopefully tomorrow, but I'm definitely feeling temporarily blah about my piece. I know it backwards and forwards and still can't quite make it stick, despite playing other harder things. Anyone else feeling like they have some kind of mental block going on?

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:
Rachmaninoff: Prelude Op 23 No 4

A
A
It's called Red Dot Syndrome and tends to diminish as you practice more! Two hours is probably too long to spend recording; you'll probably get frustrated and it will only get harder to focus. Just take a breather and come back to it the next day. Or if you're getting stuck on the same section, you may need to practice it even more.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by Anne H
I spent two hours trying to get a recording today with no luck. Hopefully tomorrow, but I'm definitely feeling temporarily blah about my piece. I know it backwards and forwards and still can't quite make it stick, despite playing other harder things. Anyone else feeling like they have some kind of mental block going on?

Maybe take a day off. You have lots of time to get a good recording down! With your day off, play some easy, fun music for yourself to get some perspective. Come back to it, and record several takes. In fact, just let the recording go and avoid stopping and starting the camera/equipment if you can. You'll get there!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Allard
It's called Red Dot Syndrome and tends to diminish as you practice more! Two hours is probably too long to spend recording; you'll probably get frustrated and it will only get harder to focus. Just take a breather and come back to it the next day. Or if you're getting stuck on the same section, you may need to practice it even more.

Yeah, the red dot can become quite annoying on the ninth recording attempt, when the eighth was perfect up to the next-to-last measure ... grin

Seriously, I beat down the red dot by trying not to give a d***. If (when) I mess up, I smile and start over. And I tend to keep the camera rolling through multiple takes. If I "mess up" (by my standards) three or four times in a row, I just get up from the bench, go to the recorder, and hit the delete button. If I'm in the mood, I just reset it, sit at the bench, smile, and start all over again.

On my first piece, once I had a take that was adequate I popped it into the computer for review. That's when I gagged and decided I needed another week of practice to get the speed up a notch. grin

Rinse and repeat.

ATTENTION: ALL PEOPLE WHO HAVE CHOSEN TO PLAY IN THE GRIEG RECITAL

All opus leaders (opleds) should have sent you a personal message to check that you will still be performing your piece(s). Most people have responded, but a few have not.

If you haven't yet confirmed WE NEED TO HEAR FROM YOU.
So please CHECK YOUR PERSONAL MESSAGES, (or if this is a problem, write a post in this thread) and let us know if you are still doing your piece(s).

We all know that this is the holiday season, and some people might not have access to the internet at the moment. However, in time, any pieces which have not been confirmed will be relisted as 'untaken'. So don't lose out!

Last edited by Dipsy; 07/25/13 05:58 PM.
Page 30 of 47 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission