2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2131816 08/12/13 02:10 PM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I hope you enjoy this expressionless rendition of my latest work.

http://musescore.com/user/83619/scores/122911

Any tips for the score? I left out all pedal. Will performers assume NOT to use pedal or understand that all pedaling is their choice?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW

Any tips for the score? I left out all pedal. Will performers assume NOT to use pedal or understand that all pedaling is their choice?

I like this one quite a bit as well. Before I clicked play I was hearing the music in my head quite lyrically with Tempo rubato in the range of quarter note = 69 to quarter note = 54, so maybe beside "Tempo rubato" some "(quarter note = x to y)" is needed if you really want the music so fast!

Maybe one could just put "Ped. ad libitum" under the first bar.

M.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers

I like this one quite a bit as well. Before I clicked play I was hearing the music in my head quite lyrically with Tempo rubato in the range of quarter note = 69 to quarter note = 54, so maybe beside "Tempo rubato" some "(quarter note = x to y)" is needed if you really want the music so fast!

Maybe one could just put "Ped. ad libitum" under the first bar.

M.

I changed it to "Presto con rubato".

And thanks for the pedaling term. Hadn't heard of that.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'd change the meter to either 3/8 or 6/8 to better capture the feel of the piece at that tempo. In 3/4, I'd expect to hear three beats, but I hear this in one beat to the bar at that tempo.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I noticed this too after I finished it. I don't have time to completely rescore though. Oh well for now.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

I would definitely not think twice about using pedal heavily in this work. It won't be a problem for a competent performer.

Originally Posted by Kreisler
I'd change the meter to either 3/8 or 6/8 to better capture the feel of the piece at that tempo. In 3/4, I'd expect to hear three beats, but I hear this in one beat to the bar at that tempo.

I think it's fine the way it is, a la Chopin scherzi.

By the way, Joel - I think it would be a good idea to expand your musical literacy to some composers besides Chopin. Your repertoire is almost completely composed of Chopin, if I am correct, and all of your works tend to sound a bit too much like his. smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

By the way, Joel - I think it would be a good idea to expand your musical literacy to some composers besides Chopin. Your repertoire is almost completely composed of Chopin, if I am correct, and all of your works tend to sound a bit too much like his. smile

Joel's music is beautiful and effective - I am confident he is of sufficient musical discernment to craft his own path as a composer.

M.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Joel's music is beautiful and effective - I am confident he is of sufficient musical discernment to craft his own path as a composer.

M.
Without wanting to say anything about Joel himself... how do you know exactly? All the works he's shown are very attached to Chopin's music!

How will he take his own path and finds his own voice if he can't let go of a single period in classical music, let alone a single composer?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Nikolas

M.
Without wanting to say anything about Joel himself... how do you know exactly? All the works he's shown are very attached to Chopin's music!

How will he take his own path and finds his own voice if he can't let go of a single period in classical music, let alone a single composer?

Precisely.

Regards,

Polyphonist
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Michael.

About my music:

I'm a little confused. My music sounds nothing like Chopin - except the Mazurka, which is an obvious response to Chopin. "In the style of.." if you will.

The miniatures sound NOTHING like Chopin. My A major prelude, hardly. The G major prelude, maybe a little more, but there's nothing wrong with that. It's called influence. Just look at early Scriabin. Just because my music is on the obviously tonal side doesn't mean I'm "stuck" in anything. I write that way because I like to. I could write more modern, less tonal sounding music all day long, but frankly it doesn't interest me. Keep in mind that this is my first year in my journey of composition. I will change. Let me change on my own. I don't know why you're so eager to criticize my supposed 'lack of a voice'.

Chopin is my favorite composer, but I don't only listen to him. Don't act like you know who I've heard and who I listen to. It isn't wise to assume things like that.

S
S
This won't load... Did you take it down?

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

S
S
This one is really cool. I think it would sound really cool if you took the same idea you have here (same rhythmic motives, melodic content) but wrote it in minor instead.

Did you have any specific concerns about this? What's great about it is that it really does sound quite finished. There's really no "bleh" sections or parts that sound lazily constructed. It's all very nicely consistent, short, and to the point (appropriately titled "Prelude").

Last edited by stalefleas; 08/19/13 04:32 PM.
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks, stalefleas. No, I have no concerns about this piece. I do know what you mean though; I feel that this one's special. Though it is my shortest piece, I feel like it's my most mature work. I find the melody works the whole way through, it's fluid. Nothing sounds forced.

I don't know how I would translate it into a minor key. Because though this piece is in a major key, there are minor elements scattered in it. Perhaps you are suggesting that I invert them? i.e. the piece would start off with a major motif, develop, then end in a minor key?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I find the melody works the whole way through, it's fluid. Nothing sounds forced.
Indeed, good work! thumb thumb

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Joel,

I just experienced a minuscule revelation.

As you know, there are the "Bach-Busoni" editions, "Schubert-Liszt" editions, and other transcriptions . . . you could transcribe some Wagner and it would be "Wagner-Wagner"! People would probably think it is a misprint on the music programme.

Better yet, you could personally readapt some "Wagner-Liszt" to the piano and get "Wagner-Liszt-Wagner"!!!

Personally I would like to see the reactions of audience members scrutinizing such things on a programme . . .

Please continue your impressive compositional work! Very rich in content, I feel much that is in it . . .

M.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Lmao!

Thanks, Michael.

I might consider doing this. I would need to find a piece that could be fitting for solo piano transcription though. I don't know any Wagner. He's one of the only major composers I've never heard. I'm just not big on Opera, yet...

Except Mozart, I love his operas.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I like this piece but agree it should be 3/8 or 6/8. The 3/4 of a Chopin Ballade is a major work whereas this is a little prelude, but then again I'm more of a black note composer. This just looks too pale to me.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
I like this piece but agree it should be 3/8 or 6/8. The 3/4 of a Chopin Ballade is a major work whereas this is a little prelude, but then again I'm more of a black note composer. This just looks too pale to me.

What's that to do with time signatures?

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
It's not bad, but at measure 9 there is a missed opportunity. The tonality tries to change or modulate to a more interesting center and you refuse to let it happen. I think it's a shame, since the first 8 measures are very promising. At measure 9 I have a strong sense you are taking an easy way out, and the rest of the piece suffers badly for it.

Last edited by ScottM; 08/23/13 03:56 PM.

Scott
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission