2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 47 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 46 47
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
Too late to join in? I recently worked up To the Spring (43,6). Any good? No worries if someone else is already covering it.

I checked the list and see that Carey has been working on that one.

OK, thanks for letting me know.

ALL HANDS ON DECK PLEASE! WE NEED YOU!

Beric, who was to do 5 pieces, and had them ready to be recorded had to have an emergency operation on his right hand yesterday and won't be able to take part in the recital (unless he plays just the left hand parts!!)

We now need homes for FIVE TWO pieces, so any of you looking on from the sidelines who wanted to take part, but found that nothing suitable was left, - here' your chance to be a hero/heroine

The pieces are:

OPUS 43 no 1 - Butterfly (its a beauty) taken by Morodiene
OPUS 54 no 1 - Shepherd's Boy
OPUS 57 no4 - Secret
OPUS 62 no 4 - Brooklet taken by Morodiene
OPUS 68 no 6 - Melancholy Waltz.taken by Carey

We've become a strong supportive community over the last few months - but now its being tested as never before. Lets show how a band of - desparate piano players scattered across the globe, can come together as a team as never before to face the challenge.

(Winston Churchill eat your heart out - 'we shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight them in their privvies (no, not really - just cracking up!)...... )

Last edited by Dipsy; 08/21/13 03:54 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Oh... I hope Beric recovers quickly.
And I'm sorry Dipsy, I understand your request, but I can't help this time...
Good luck!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I thought we were doing private youtube. The 3rd party content shouldn't come up then should it? Peter, I could use the refresher "step by step" on uploading if you have one handy. I use youtube so infrequently that I have to relearn each time.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Dipsy

Beric, who was to do 5 pieces, and had them ready to be recorded had to have an emergency operation on his right hand yesterday and won't be able to take part in the recital (unless he plays just the left hand parts!!)

We now need homes for FIVE pieces, so any of you looking on from the sidelines who wanted to take part, but found that nothing suitable was left, - here' your chance to be a hero/heroine

The pieces are:

OPUS 43 no 1 - Butterfly (its a beauty)
OPUS 57 no4 - Secret
OPUS 62 no 4 - Brooklet
OPUS 68 no 6 - Melancholy Waltz.

We've become a strong supportive community over the last few months - but now its being tested as never before. Lets show how a band of disparate piano players scattered across the globe, can come together as a team as never before to face the challenge.

(Winston Churchill eat your heart out - 'we shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight them in their privvies (no, not really - just cracking up!)...... )

Oh no! Please let Beric know that I'm praying for his speedy recovery!

I was just thinking last night that the more of these Grieg pieces I do, the more I enjoy playing them. I was also thinking that I have worked on 8 lyric pieces (including ones I had played prior to this recital), and that it would be kind of cool to try to play and record them all over a period of a year or something. So I'm happy to help where needed. The only concern is that I'm moving back to FL next weekend, so that will be a few days without any practice. Still, I think I can help out.

These are all tricky pieces, though. I can do Butterfly and Brooklet. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene

We now need homes for FIVE pieces, so any of you looking on from the sidelines who wanted to take part, but found that nothing suitable was left, - here' your chance to be a hero/heroine

The pieces are:

OPUS 57 no4 - Secret
OPUS 62 no 4 - Brooklet

We've become a strong supportive community over the last few months - but now its being tested as never before. Lets show how a band of disparate piano players scattered across the globe, can come together as a team as never before to face the challenge.

I was just thinking last night that the more of these Grieg pieces I do, the more I enjoy playing them. I was also thinking that I have worked on 8 lyric pieces (including ones I had played prior to this recital), and that it would be kind of cool to try to play and record them all over a period of a year or something. So I'm happy to help where needed. The only concern is that I'm moving back to FL next weekend, so that will be a few days without any practice. Still, I think I can help out.

BUTTERFLY AND BROOKLET Going once, going twice, GONE to the lady in Florida!

THANK YOU Morodiene!!!!!

Remaining pieces:
OPUS 57 no4 - Secret

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

M
M
For years I've wanted to learn the Holberg Suite, but never really felt ready for it. If I'm not ready after this, I don't know what it would take! laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Hmm, I have a question about pedaling for the French Serenade, op 62 No 3. Does anyone have an edition other than Peters (Dover) for this? That is the only one available on imslp.org as well.

Here's the edition I'm looking at, it's the 3rd piece:

http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks...tuecke_Op_62_No_1-3_Peters_8184_scan.pdf

In measure 3, Grieg clearly indicates the LH play a two-note slur and making the 2nd note staccato. However, there is a pedal marking for the entire measure. This is pretty consistent throughout the piece except in instances where the chord changes mid-measure (i.e., m. 4). Still, there is no Pedal up marking to indicate the staccato should be heard. Judging from his other pieces, the pedal markings are pretty specific/precise - as in m.12 of this piece, where he clearly wants a lift before the next idea with no pedal.

I've listened to recordings of this done fairly dry and I don't care for it, but I was wondering if another edition perhaps indicated it should be that way.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beric, if you're reading this post, you already know I wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks Morodiene, you're always so generous. I'm sorry, but I can't give you any advice about your pedaling question, as I only use those artifacts by ear. But who knows, maybe I'll be able to offer a good piece of advice on the piano someday smile

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
My edition is the Dover...same as yours Morodiene.. sorry.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I have the Dover, some opuses in the Schirmer's Edition and individual pieces in Edition Peters. I think the Peters has Grieg's own wishes. There's no difference between pedal markings in the Schirmer editions.

Where Grieg wants a deliberate lift as in MM13 & 15 he puts one in. In MM4, 6 and 8 I don't think he wants a deliberate lift just a change before the next pedal.

If you compare other pieces you'll find Grieg often has staccato markings with the pedal full on.

Hat's off to you for taking on the extra load!

Richard
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Schirmer. It was so cheap I'm surprised they included all the notes. But the markings are as yours.

Nokelberg seems to play bar 3 (and similar, LH solo) pedalling twice in the bar leaving only the tiniest breath after the roots, not really staccato. After that, once the melody starts, he plays pedal as written in your copy, giving all the roots an audible light stacatto so he's only using the pedal to join the chord with its following root. He's also playing a lot of the LH chords with a light roll. I really like it but it's not written.

I would definitely do your own thing!

M
M
Originally Posted by zrtf90
I have the Dover, some opuses in the Schirmer's Edition and individual pieces in Edition Peters. I think the Peters has Grieg's own wishes. There's no difference between pedal markings in the Schirmer editions.

Where Grieg wants a deliberate lift as in MM13 & 15 he puts one in. In MM4, 6 and 8 I don't think he wants a deliberate lift just a change before the next pedal.

If you compare other pieces you'll find Grieg often has staccato markings with the pedal full on.

Hat's off to you for taking on the extra load!

This is what I was thinking, but I had heard a professional recording done where they lifted the pedal. I think he was trying to honor the two-note slur indications over the pedal markings. However, I do believe that pianos back then didn't have as much sustain (although not terribly different from today's piano), so perhaps there would be an audible difference in playing the two-note slurs while pedaling. I may experiment with half-pedaling when I get back to my acoustic piano in 2 weeks to see what works.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by dire tonic
Schirmer. It was so cheap I'm surprised they included all the notes. But the markings are as yours.

Nokelberg seems to play bar 3 (and similar, LH solo) pedalling twice in the bar leaving only the tiniest breath after the roots, not really staccato. After that, once the melody starts, he plays pedal as written in your copy, giving all the roots an audible light stacatto so he's only using the pedal to join the chord with its following root. He's also playing a lot of the LH chords with a light roll. I really like it but it's not written.

I would definitely do your own thing!
Oh, I love this! The rolled chords are within the style of playing at the time of Grieg, and if you listen to recordings of Grieg playing his own stuff you can hear that in it. I just wasn't able to find Grieg playing this particular piece.

I think the way Nokelberg plays this he does get that sense of the two note slurs, but he is pedaling, so I'm thinking perhaps the half/partial-pedaling idea will work. Thanks!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
I thought we were doing private youtube. The 3rd party content shouldn't come up then should it? Peter, I could use the refresher "step by step" on uploading if you have one handy. I use youtube so infrequently that I have to relearn each time.

Unlisted, not private. (Private only shows to specific people you've invited. Unlisted shows to anyone who has the URL, but doesn't show up in Youtube searches.)

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by casinitaly

The pieces are:

OPUS 57 no4 - Secret
OPUS 62 no 4 - Brooklet

BUTTERFLY AND BROOKLET Going once, going twice, GONE to the lady in Florida!

THANK YOU Morodiene!!!!!

Remaining pieces:
OPUS 57 no4 - Secret

I'll tackle the Melancholy Waltz.

And if for some reason Morodiene decides she can't do the Butterfly, I can record it as well since I already have it memorized. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
The rolled chords are within the style of playing at the time of Grieg, and if you listen to recordings of Grieg playing his own stuff you can hear that in it.

Interesting, I hadn't realised it was a style thing. I'd certainly heard Nokelberg doing the roll here and there in other pieces. He's sometimes a bit too brisk but I love the way he plays Grieg.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by carey

I'll tackle the Melancholy Waltz.

that's good news carey, I'd offered myself up as understudy so you've saved me a job.

And if for some reason Morodiene decides she can't do the Butterfly, I can record it as well since I already have it memorized. grin

- I was only thinking, it's such a popular piece, there could be a queue forming...

thanks everyone for your kind words. Dad is chomping at the bit and so frustrated to be unable to play - he's fine apart from his right hand. I will pass on what you say to him and I think he'd be very touched by your good wishes.

Morodiene - thank you so much for taking on so many pieces to help us.

Off to check out shepherd's boy and secret to see if I can help...

Last edited by Dipsy; 08/21/13 12:14 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by carey

Maybe keep it in your fingers just in case it's not up to snuff by the time the deadline hits! smile

Originally Posted by dire tonic
Interesting, I hadn't realised it was a style thing. I'd certainly heard Nokelberg doing the roll here and there in other pieces. He's sometimes a bit too brisk but I love the way he plays Grieg.
I agree I'm not fond of his tempo choices, a bit too fast so you lose some of the nuances of the harmonies and makes it sounds a bit on the frantic side.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 38 of 47 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission