2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,260 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by stumbler
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

Not quite everything: Mine was 01:58 wink

Andy, that's strange <scratch my head>, the recital thread has it as 1:58, but my player says 2:15. When I play the audio file 2:15 is about right. I checked a few others, but they don't have a big discrepancy like yours. For example, CMohr's piece agrees at 1:59.

How strange. The file is 2.15, true. The recital page software is so smart it removes all the slips. Yup, that would be about 17 seconds wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
This recital looks like the best selection of music yet!

Agreed... except... where is all the jazz? Not enough this time around in my opinion, I've learned so much just from listening here.

01. Andy Platt - Invention in E Major
As I'm maturing (slightly) as a piano player, I'm getting a bit better about learning how to differentiate between what is truly difficult vs. what maybe sounds difficult but isn't so bad really -- or can be fairly sloppy and still sound pretty good. This is definitely in that former category. Nowhere to hide here, and it was very well done.

02. Diana (sinophilia) - This and That
This was soooo much fun to listen to (twice). I can't imagine faster being better here.

It gave me a big smile to hear you playing with such jaunty confidence (one of your two pieces last time captured that spirit as well). It really is a delight to hear how you are progressing. You have been going about things in the right way and the dividends are showing!

03. Greener | Jeff Green - Waltz in C# Minor, Opus 64 No. 2
I haven't had time to read others' comments, so apologies if this aspect has been flogged at this point, but I would say overall that it felt rushed. I'd love to hear this after having more time in the "wheelhouse", and taking it slower.

04. dannylux / Mel - Azarashvili Nocturne
I liked it... and then I loooooved it.

05. MaryBee - Three Sinfonias
1) Nice 2) Contemplative 3) Complicated!... so many voices and layers here... Wow. Very well done.

06. wouter79 - Andante con moto, first part of Sechs Lieder ohne Worte Op. 19b
The dynamics here are simply first rate, so enjoyable to listen. I'm glad you have both an instrument and recording equipment that capture your performance so well.

07. lyricmudra - Nocturne in F-Sharp Major, Op. 15 No. 2
I literally can't think of the words to explain my thoughts about this exceptional level of performance.

I keep thinking that I really want a Kawai RX-2... but, ummmm, no... that's not really going to help me all that much, will it? frown

08. SwissMS/Doris - Arabesque 1
Ahhh... This is one of two submittals that I have been particularly looking forward to for quite a few weeks. Naturally you don't disappoint, as you always put forth the effort to put forth your best. The rubato (I think there's some there, but knowing Debussy, it could be just the way it is written) is wonderful, especially the anticipation leading up to the descending "waterfall" sections.

09. Sam S - Nocturne Opus 37/1
It's funny, when not familiar with a piece, the mistakes are easier to miss, or if noticed are very quickly forgotten as more new music is brought forth. The pace, dynamics... everything... seemed to fit the mood of the piece so well. Great job Sam.

10. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - First Loss
Great job... quite a departure from "Sneaking Around"! I think I need to listen to it a couple more times to truly appreciate it though.

Am I hearing it correctly that it sounds like you've recorded in silent mode? i.e. it's a digital recording and not acoustic?

11. Inlanding - Glen - Gnossienne No 1
Very melancholy, and very well done as such.

12. Peyton - Message From Space: Part Four- A Journey to the Far Side of the World
Whoa! Reminds me of Pink Floyd's "Echoes", which is a compliment in my book. You weave an extraordinary tapestry of sound, and then bring it back to the beginning.

Yours was the first submittal where I sat back from the computer, stopped reading & typing, and just listened (twice). I was just hanging on and hanging on... will there be one more ping? When there isn't, what does that mean? Argggghh... we have to wait for Part Five apparently!

13. Riddler (Ed) - Prelude in D Flat Major
This was really good... but... could we make a rule that "jazz guys" (and gals) who want to dabble in classical can double-dip and do a jazz number too? I'm looking forward to hearing your next jazz recital piece (whenever that may be). That said, this was very impressive... regardless of the kids on YouTube.

14. Allard - Dreamer's Waltz
I wouldn't say this sounds easy, but you make it sound easier than the description reveals. Great job.

Your iPad sounds a heck of a lot better than my Droid, but there is still a very flat aspect to the sound that is captured. I imagine this may be what wouter79 refers to as "depth of field". It would be great to hear you with recording equipment that matches the quality of your piano and your playing.

15. peterws - Contemplation 5
Stunning... so much going on there, and the quality of the sound is... just... so... rich.

I may beg for some tips on coaxing that sort of quality recording out of a DGX. My one recording off of one (ABF Recital #29) sounded pretty awful.

16. Richard (zrtf90) - Die Zelle in Nonnenwerth
Another Kawai... hmmmm... maybe it would help me? I'll give a more proper comment later... it's awfully late here.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
24. Anne H - Julia arr. by Phillip Keveren - I'm not familiar with this piece, but well done!

25. Dumik - Chopin nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 - You play this with much more ability than I would expect from someone just 6 months into their piano journey - channel that ability into future pieces. You have a great head start!

26. dynamobt/ Marilyn - The Seasons, June - Very nice job with the single take! - Either you could play this during a hailstorm or perhaps you don't go crazy when the recorder is on.

Either way, you demonstrated calm mastering of this piece - which is very impressive!

27. jotur/Cathy Turner - Shine On Harvest Moon - I can see why your audience loves this - it's lively and you play it well, naturally! I think this is something special that should stay in your current repertoire for some time.

28. ClavBoy - Minuet in D minor - I like the absence of pedal in music like this! You played this well, and I think this sort of music is great for training the fingers not always used to playing!

29. (Was) TrueBeginner - Childhood Memories - Certainly a happier piece, well done!

30. daveindenton - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing - a piece I can recognize by ear, but cannot play at all - very well done!

31. yester - 5 little preludes No. 1 - BWV 939 - This is one I learned myself a while back. For me it was very helpful and integral to growing at the piano. I hope this was as helpful to you as well!

32. Allan W. - Wind Scene - Chrono Trigger - Wow, beautiful piece, beautiful playing, beautiful piano.

33. CMohr - "You've Changed" - Very nicely played - surely this is within the top 300? I guess voting took place before this rendition!

34. stumbler - A Lenda Do Caboclo W166 - a very out of the way sort of piece, but I love the emotion you brought to this - very nice!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
C
C
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Next batch:

28. ClavBoy - Minuet in D minor Very nicely done. smile What setting did you use on your piano? It had a nice harpsichord tone that suited the music well.

Hi,

Glad you liked it, I used the normal Super Natural Piano without any changes. So, no harpsichord.

Roland FP-7F

Working on:
Schumann: From Foreign Lands and Countries, op. 15; Burgmüller op. 100, Arabesque; Tchaikovsky op. 39 no. 15, Italian Song

Dreaming of:
Some Scott Joplin pieces i.e. Bethena. Still years to go for that...
Satie: Gnossienne No. 1. Maybe a bit earlier

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Some more Thank you's to Andy Platt, CarlosCC SAnnM AB 2001, and ATallGuyNH for taking the time to comment on my piece. I really appreciate it! You made my day!

In answer to your question SAnnM AB 2001 about how long it took to learn Arabesque 1, I started this piece at the beginning of March. I performed it for the first time at an informal recital at the beginning of July, so that means it took about four months to learn and polish.

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
46. joangolfing - Little Bird That sounds exactly like a little bird! (Or possibly several little birds calling back and forth to each other..) You certainly portrayed the composer’s intention. It sounds like it would be a tough one to learn. Great job on those trills.

47. Mar_red - Close Every Door I really loved the drama of the piece. It’s very passionate. I enjoyed it a lot!

48. Mile Hi Steve - Joy in G First – great job on making your own transcription. I envy that skill. Second, it truly was joyful to listen to.

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dainas No. 3 Never heard of
Medins, so thanks for the introduction. It’s strangely sad and comforting at the same time. I enjoyed your performance of it a lot.

50. Copper - Variation No. 14 This sounds so simple and grand at the same time – thanks for giving us this lovely little gem!

51. Lady_Augustina - The North Sea I can see how you lost track of time recording this one. This sounds like it would feel so rewarding to play, and very easy to get caught up in the emotion of it. Thank you for stumbling upon it, and letting us hear it smile

52. WJ3 / Walt - Solace A Mexican Serenade (1909) I find that a lot of “easy” versions aren’t quite that. This one sounds to be no exception. Great work!

53. carlos88 - Bruyeres (Heather) Debussy is so hard and you always make it sound so simple. Sunny and breezy! I look forward to your next prelude!

54. AimeeO - Sonatina Op. 55, no. 1Ha!

55. BenPiano - Nefeli I think you captured that quite nicely. I keep getting pulled more and more in the direction of Einaudi. Loved it!

56. Ohio_Mark - Minuet in F Major so charming! Great phrases!

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member

21. aTallGuyNH - New York State of Mind (intro only) I was looking forward to one of my favorite Billy Joel songs. I went straight to the video and thought, "Wait, where's the rest....?" , then I read "intro only". smile You have to record the whole song! The intro was great. I think you really got the feel of this down. The slower speed didn't bother me at all because you put the tone of the song in perfect perspective. I'm sure you'll get this exactly where you want it - it being a favorite - that always works out. Really great start that left me wanting more! And very cool venue.

22. PikaPianist - Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3, Gb major I think this is pure perfection! My favorite impromptu, also. You aptly made this melody truly sing. Everything is in it's perfect place. You made this flow so beautifully, and I just love the bass! There are quite a few moving performances in this recital - yours is tops!

23. Serge88 - Manha de Carnaval Oh, so s-m-o-o-t-h! I loved it - such a cool, laid back and (dare I say?) sexy tune. I love your arrangement and the backing track added to it perfectly. cool

24. Anne H - Julia arr. by Phillip Keveren One of the more beautiful Beatle songs, and this is such a nice, contemplative arrangement. You played it very well, bringing out the sentiment. Congrats on your return to piano!

25. Dumik - Chopin nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 Surely the 6 months experience is a typo?! Your performance is lovely with good dynamics. You also have a very good feel for the music. I agree pedaling can create difficulties -( I know, I usually overuse it myself.) Amazing performance! Congratulations!

26. dynamobt/ Marilyn - The Seasons, June You've done wonderful work on this by bringing out the delicate melody and the more serious middle part , which conveys such feeling wonderfully. Great job! I thoroughly enjoyed listening!

27. jotur/Cathy Turner - Shine On Harvest MoonI hardly ever hear the intro to this - loved it - and how it goes right into the main melody. How could anyone not tap their feet and bob their heads while listening? I also really liked the kind of "Honky tonk" sound. I loved every second, as I'm sure all your fans do every time they hear you play. This is a keeper!

28. ClavBoy - Minuet in D minor This is perfectly Mozart. You captured the feeling of this little minuet with good articulation and tempo. If you used the pedal at all, it wasn't noticeable, which is appropriate for Mozart. Fine work!

29. (Was) TrueBeginner - Childhood Memories I think all of us here look forward to listening to your compositions. You always tell a vivid story with your work. This one truly does evoke the carefree, happy feelings of being a child. This could easily be movie score material. Wonderful!

30. daveindenton - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing What a great arrangement! Such heart comes through to the listener from your performance. A truly inspiring song, and played marvelously! I loved this!

31. yester - 5 little preludes No. 1 - BWV 939 Your performance is near perfect on the little prelude. I especially liked those left-hand ornaments your executed so well. Really well done!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Thank you BenPiano and CMohr for the kind words. I hope I'm not driving people nuts with my thank yous for just one or two people at a time. I really am very appreciative of the comments that people take the time to write. That's why I tried hard to listen to the entire recital and get comments up online this time. I see that what people have to say really matters.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Batch Duo...(and it wasn't easy, crap I hate my internet connection!)

11. Inlanding - Glen - Gnossienne No 1 Glen you really did a wonderful job with this performance. What stood out for me was how in control of the dynamics you were. And those deep bass notes literally gave me goose bumps. I love that growl....Grrrr. You get an "A" with this one from me.

12. Peyton - Message From Space: Part Four- A Journey to the Far Side of the World Peyton, playing music that comes from within is the purist form that I can think of. Sure, you could perform a nice piece written by a famous composer (Chopin, Einaudi, Lanz, S.Hunky) but that would just be playing someone elses stuff right? not yours. Personally, I'd rather hear what you have to say play! Oddly enough, while I enjoyed the entire piece, it was the very last delayed note that had the most impact. Very nicely and expressively done.

13. Riddler (Ed) - Prelude in D Flat Major Ed, you did an incredibly beautiful job with this piece. I mean...WOW, it had a magical/mystical quality and sound to it. One of my favorites in this recital. Keep this one current okay? Excellent.

14. Allard - Dreamer's Waltz Allard you are doing fantastic. This IS an incredibly beautiful piece that you play very, very nicely. Two things I would suggest are to lower the gain setting on your recorder just a bit and the other is to try and hit each individual note just a little softer. I can CLEARLY hear how excited and proud you are playing this beautiful piece. And you play it all correctly as well. Now try playing it with just a little less force/impact to soften it up and you'll have a benchmark performance that others will want to emulate. Very very well done as well as excellent progress made in a short time.

15. peterws - Contemplation 5 Okay, this was different. Between the ocean sounds, puppy nuzzles, wood blocks, thunder storms etc. What am I supposed to do with this other than tell you what I feel? Well, I liked it. I liked it a lot. It kept my attention the entire time and was relaxing and enjoyable to listen too. I would strongly encourage you to continue to pursue your musical creations as the end result is uniquely different. Refreshing even.

16. Richard (zrtf90) - Die Zelle in Nonnenwerth Ooh, those first arpeggios in the beginning really grabbed me with that deep, haunting melody that just flowed into place. A performance this long takes some serious dedication and your mastery of this piece is evident all the way through. Excellent.

17. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Em I liked a lot about this piece and performance. The frequent theme changes along with the flowing runs (to include upper register 'twinklies' sounded great. Keep it up Russ.

18. Mr Super- Hunky - Rain (Cover) I don't get it, I thought you were out building a road with your backhoe or jumping your motorcycle or something. What's up with this dainty nonsense? Oh, you can't sleep because you are too wound up at night?, Okay, now I get it! Carry on..

19. Earlofmar - Minuet in G major (BWV Anh. 116) I think you are showing a tremendous amount of progress in tackling this piece. The basics are well under your control and abilites. My suggestion would be to play everything the same way but try and connect the notes of right hand melody together more as opposed to being played as individual notes. I know they ARE individual notes but when gently connected to previous and following notes,...well that's what flowing melodies are made of. You certainly have what it takes to handle these melodies and I am looking forward to hearing more of them in the future. Well done.

20. patH / Patrick Hollstein - Der tanzende Schwan (The dancing swan) Way to start this piece off Patrick with those fancy trills. Of course you get extra points for your own original composition and you certainly did an envious job with this original piece. The technical section about midway through was very impressive and I liked the frequent mood and flow changes. You are a great example for others to follow who wish to compose and perform their own unique compositions. Bravo.

Last edited by Mr Super-Hunky; 08/17/13 07:42 PM.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Before continuing with my comments on all the GREAT music, a few thank yous are in order:

dynamobt & SwissMS I'm glad you enjoyed my tune. If my concentration hadn't lapsed a bit, the hesitations would not have been so evident.

stumbler-I'm also happy that you liked my arrangement. Thanks!

Monica - Thanks, and I had originally planned a longer recording, but this was what I could muster up this time around.

Originally Posted by BenPiano

33. CMohr - "You've Changed" - Very nicely played - surely this is within the top 300? I guess voting took place before this rendition!

OK, I think I might just owe you a drink, Ben......any preferences? laugh

Think less - play more

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
And time for some thank yous!

First of all to Mr. Super-Hunky who came up with the idea way back, a long long time ago!
To Monica for pulling everything together for us so efficiently,
To mahlzeit for writing the software we use for submissions, to Sam S for making our great index, to Copper for updating the lists of the Order of the Red Dot - to Frank-Piano World for hosting it all! But of course most of all to everyone who takes the time and effort to work on a submission and present the best of what they can do at this moment in time. It is fun, and fascinating to share this wonderful journey with so many like-minded piano-passionate folks!

And specifically - thanks to all who have taken the time to listen to my piece and give me some feedback!

Originally Posted by Monica K
10. Casinitaly – Schumann: This piece has such a delicate poignancy. Expression is everything in it, and you do a fantastic job of playing expressively.

Thanks Monica - I worked on the expression for a long time -it was challenging!

Originally Posted by SwissMS
Such a sad piece. I like the contrasting dynamics with sudden accents. Nice transfer from hand to hand. Very nicely played!

Thank you SwissMS - I appreciate that you noticed those particular details!

Originally Posted by AimeeO
Your admiration for the period is shining through in your performance .. I was getting depressed over some poor kid’s first loss! Well done!

Thanks AimeeO - I got misty eyed myself a few times smile

Originally Posted by Allard
Cheryl, since the piano party, I want to hear this played on a grand. When are you upgrading? You know you're good enough for one laugh

Well, Allard, I'd love to get a grand, and thanks for the support - I'll pass on your opinion to Mr Casinitaly and see what he thinks smile

Originally Posted by Dynambot
One of my favorites!! He is the master of these short but very moving pieces. You did a nice job with this. I think the melody could have been sustained and sung more. But still well done!

Thank you Dynambot, I agree. In fact I feel there are several things I could (and hope to!) improve on this piece, but this is the best I could do at this moment.

Originally Posted by peterws
CasinItaly Your Schumann flows nicely and is very expressive!

Thanks Peter - This piece was a real "step up" from previous ones in terms of having to transmit some nuance of feeling.

Originally Posted by CMohr
I suppose I'm always amazed at your progress. You've really put the appropriate feeling and touch in this deceptively simple piece. (Aren't many Schumann pieces deceptively simple?) You have conveyed the intent of the composer very well with your playing. Lovely!

You are very kind CMohr! Except for the last few bars this piece doesn't look tricky on paper... but once I got started it was a whole new ball game with big stretches for my hands. I'm glad you enjoyed my playing.

Originally Posted by Mr. Super-Hunky
This was nice to listen to Cheryl. It sounded tricky to read let alone make sound nice. My favorite part was the chord progression as I love dramatic melodies like that. Your progress is noticeable.

Thank you Mr Super-Hunky - I loved that dramatic ending too - though when I first looked at it, it terrified me! In the end it was hugely satisfying (but I had to practice it so much, I bet my neighbours are pretty sick of it!)

Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Cheryl, Schumann pieces are not in my to-do list, but I thing I'm going to change that... You're giving me a beautiful example how Schumann pieces can be understood and played. Great job!

Wow! Now that is a compliment,....and I think a first for me! Obrigados!

Originally Posted by AndyPlatt
You really nailed the voices in this piece. They are what add the tenderness and you got it. I found the tempo to be just right and there were nice dynamic contrasts. The big chords at the end were great too!

Thank you Andy - You've always paid attention to what I've presented and been so encouraging!

Originally Posted by Stumbler
You really capture the mood of this. Beautifully played.

Thank you! It's great to hear such encouraging feedback.

Originally Posted by ATallGuyNH
Great job... quite a departure from "Sneaking Around"! I think I need to listen to it a couple more times to truly appreciate it though.
Am I hearing it correctly that it sounds like you've recorded in silent mode? i.e. it's a digital recording and not acoustic?

Thanks TallGuy --- yes, it is quite different from Sneakin' Round but not so different from my Heller in May - I like to experiment with lots of different genres! You are right - I recorded using the silent mode. My poor piano is sadly out of tune and the tuner is on holiday!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
16. Richard (zrtf90) - Die Zelle in Nonnenwerth
Reminds me a bit of "The Warsaw Concerto" at the beginning. Hard to believe that all this fits in only four pages! Very well done, and your description of this as "possibly the most emotional, intimate and personal piece I've learned" is apt. The personal intimacy comes across very clearly, especially at the end as we are hearing the main theme recapitulated.

BTW -- the programme notes were greatly appreciated, definitely enhancing my understanding, enjoyment, and appreciation of the piece and your performance.

17. Jazztpt (Russ) - For Em
Ahhh... finally, we have some jazz! I never would have dreamed I'd be saying that prior to ABF recitals.

Yours is the most realistic digital that I have ever heard, by far. Incredibly impressive as an instrument, and your playing (improv, schmimprov, I say) was excellent as well. Worth a second listen, and more to come I'm sure.

18. Mr Super- Hunky - Rain (Cover)
This is my favorite of all your covers that I've heard. Lots of emotion there.

19. Earlofmar - Minuet in G major (BWV Anh. 116)
Your progress in such a short time continues to be very impressive. I'll confess that this doesn't really make me feel much like dancing, no swaying in my seat to this one, but I think that's more a product of the century of my birth (mid-late 20th) than your skills. smile

20. patH / Patrick Hollstein - Der tanzende Schwan (The dancing swan)
The fact that anyone is able to play, let alone compose, something of this technical sophistication is so extraordinary to me. The range of sounds and moods from stately to almost bombastic (not intended as a criticism, mind you) to delicate, and then back again, was delightful.

21. aTallGuyNH - New York State of Mind (intro only)
Thanks to all who listened to my performance of breathing & clinking, with a piano background.

22. PikaPianist - Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3, Gb major
Wow. This is very very good... I can hear the struggle of the melody vs. the atmospheric aspects. Especially as there are sections where the melody naturally dominates whereas there are others where the left hand is taking control. This sounds extremely challenging, and I certainly heard the beauty that you worked so hard to bring out.

23. Serge88 - Manha de Carnaval
More jazz, yay!

"I don't practice anymore"... Hmmm... Maybe I should adopt this strategy as well? It seems to be working beautifully for you!

24. Anne H - Julia arr. by Phillip Keveren
Somehow I'm having a tough time actually hearing Lennon/McCartney's "Julia" in here, but no matter, it was very pleasant to listen to and very well done. Happy 50th birthday to your piano... he/she sounds quite nice.

25. Dumik - Chopin nocturne Op. 9 No. 2
"Experience: about 6 months" -- what?!?
"...my new Yamaha which I got couple weeks ago. I had not played with pedal before that" -- WHAT?!?!? Seriously? Two weeks with the pedal??

"my first recital"... Welcome! and WOW! I sincerely hope it won't be your last. You are a budding talent and I can't wait to hear what you'll be doing 3 months from now, and 3 months after that, etc.

26. dynamobt/ Marilyn - The Seasons, June
Marilyn, great dynamics and rubato. The fact that you can pull off a performance like this in one take is truly extraordinary.

Your Zoom does seem to be taking something away though... not being a sound engineer I don't know how to describe it properly, maybe there is post-processing compression from Audacity? It just sounds "flat", and it clearly isn't your playing! I bet this would sound great on 9/9. smile

27. jotur/Cathy Turner - Shine On Harvest Moon
I'm not familiar with very many "(really) oldies", so I wasn't humming along, but foot tapping and head bobbing were induced by your fun playing style. I hope those seniors appreciate all the effort you put into keeping them entertained!

28. ClavBoy - Minuet in D minor
Not having practiced very much doesn't seem to have hurt your performance at all! Great job, and I didn't even notice the missing pedal.

29. (Was) TrueBeginner - Childhood Memories
Good to hear that I'm not the only person with Droid recording woes. smile

Well done. This did nicely capture a feeling of childhood, a happy one, that is.

30. daveindenton - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
Fast at first, then slowing down to a very regal pace. Very different in that regard -- thanks for sharing this beautiful arrangement, and wonderfully executed as well. There is a lot packed into 2:18 there, including a key change (I hope I'm hearing that right), and you pulled all of it off with equal aplomb. Three times around for me on this one.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
And, finally, the last installment:

41. MrPozor - Waltz in B minor A beautiful waltz, managing to be both wistful and joyful at the same time. I really liked the quality of your video, too; the angle was terrific (how did you mount the camera so high?), and I liked how you edited in the name of the piece.

42. CarlosCC - Life ("Live from home" version) This may be my favorite piece of the entire recital. First and foremost, of course, because it is Einaudi. smile But also largely because you did a terrific job of arranging the piece to make it work even better than the official sheet music–and that’s impressive! You capture the delicacy and wistfulness of the piece perfectly.

43. Valencia - The Angel, Op. 30 No. 4 I will have to confess to having not heard of this composer before, but this was such a pretty, delicate piece that I want to find out more about him. I’m guessing that nonstop left hand during the main theme is pretty tricky to play, but you seem to handle it with ease.

44. ladypayne - Canon (Pachelbel) This might be my favorite yet of your recital pieces, but then again, I’m a sucker for the Pachelbel Canon. smile The nature sounds were effective, and I wouldn’t have been surprised to hear this on a commercial CD. My only advice would be not to end it so abruptly.

45. Sand Tiger - Avenue D I only recognized the ‘breeding ground’ of the Canon after I read your explanation, which means you were successful in improvising something new and distinct. I really enjoyed this. smile

46. joangolfing - Little Bird Oh, those soft trills are really nice. I can understand how this would be a technically challenging piece. I was surprised to see it was by Grieg, actually; it sounded like a much more modern composition to me.

47. Mar_red - Close Every Door I’m really impressed that you were improvised such a rich, full arrangement off a lead sheet. wow I really liked this one. That cascading run downward at 1:27 made my jaw drop!

48. Mile Hi Steve - Joy in G I love Winston’s arrangement of this, and you’ve done a great job of capturing the spirit of it. If your arrangement is a lot easier to play, I may find myself crossing my fingers and hoping you’ve transcribed it. smile Very nice!

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dainas No. 3 Here I must confess again that I’ve never heard of this composer. The beginning sounded rather Bach-like, but the second half was much jazzier. It made for an intriguing and enjoyable blend!

50. Copper - Variation No. 14 As much as I missed your Disney arrangements, I enjoyed this piece. Very contemplative and well-played. smile

51. Lady_Augustina - The North Sea I’m a big admirer of McLaughlin’s “The Lonely Ballerina,” and after I heard this piece, I had to go straight to her website to purchase the sheet music. Beautiful piece, beautifully played.

52. WJ3 / Walt - Solace A Mexican Serenade (1909) I don’t think there’s anything such as “easy” Scott Joplin. I wasn’t familiar with this rag, but I liked how you played it.

53. carlos88 - Bruyeres (Heather) I love the big chords at the early part of this piece. Maybe it took you take after take to get this recording, but it sounds breezy and effortless to me. smile

54. AimeeO - Sonatina Op. 55, no. 1 A very dainty, precise piece. Nicely played! Though now you’ve got me craving a White Russian. wink

55. BenPiano - Nefeli This was and is one of my all time favorite Einaudi pieces to play. You nailed those killer couple of measures that presented major hand independence issues! I really liked how you did the transition to the middle section; I may experiment with slowing that part down myself.

56. Ohio_Mark - Minuet in F Major Welcome to the recital! Glad we were able to troubleshoot the upload problems and get this in on time. I think Mozart sounds a lot like Bach in this minuet. You play with nice precision and delicacy.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
31. yester - 5 little preludes No. 1 - BWV 939 Your performance is near perfection on this little prelude. I especially like those left hand ornaments - really well done all around!

32. Allan W. - Wind Scene - Chrono Trigger Wow, such a beautiful piece of music! Your recording is wonderful and your piano has a beautiful tone that you bring out so well. I love the full orchestral sound with those lovely jazz overtones - excellent work, a stunning performance! (Thanks, too for including the sheet music link.)

33. CMohr - "You've Changed" I should really follow my own mantra of "think less- play more"......

34. stumbler - A Lenda Do Caboclo W166 Beautifully done! Your wise use of the sostenuto pedal really brought the depth this piece seems to call for. I really like the varied feelings in this piece - you performed the transitions flawlessly. I loved it!

35. TrapperJohn - Medley: Drink With Me/Do You Hear The People Sing? (from Les Miserables) I just love your choices for the recitals. I've seen both versions of Les Miz - I agree - stage version much better than the movie. Wise decision to put these two songs together and show us two differing, but equally poignant emotions through your playing. "Drink with Me.."leads so well into the goose-bumply "Do You Hear....". Nice touch on the total package. I love how you gave each their due emotion. A heartfelt and rousing performance!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
TallGuy, trust me that it's amazing that I get anyrhing recorded at all! I picked my settings on the Zoom by guessing. I settled on the mic placement based on convenience not necessarily best sound. It's behind and above my head. See that way, I don't see the red dot!! I swear it's the secrete to getting good recordings without much fuss!

I"m sure I could get better sound from the Zoom. My piano will get tuned when we turn on the heat. My tuner said not to bother during the summer. I really would like a "twice a year" tuning schedule. Even though my piano seems to be holding tune very well. All I can say is maybe it's that caution my teacher picked up on that you are hearing. I don't exactly play with abandon when the recorder is on. Thanks for the compliments!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
20. patH / Patrick Hollstein - Der tanzende Schwan (The dancing swan) - *picks jaw off the ground*

Your dexterity is amazing - I am humbled and in awe of how awesome this was. Spectacular!

21. aTallGuyNH - New York State of Mind (intro only) -

Bravo! Not for your playing or the recording, it was...um, unrefined?

But bravo for putting this out here, to show how passionate you are for getting the chance to record something special, regardless of how it sounds. Not many here would do that.

And this is how we all sound when learning a new piece - but we never record it, and never have the chance to play in such a place.

Take your passion for the piece and your experience in that place to finish the piece and dream of playing it there again!

22. PikaPianist - Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3, Gb major - I congratulate you on getting a good take to your satisfaction while recording. Personally, I turn into another person who has never practiced piano when the record button gets pushed.

I appreciate your video (thanks for recording!) - to see how this is played demonstrates how insanely difficult this is.

I really enjoyed listening and watching - well done!

23. Serge88 - Manha de Carnaval - I hear a lot about this band in a box, but don't understand how it works. Whatever it is, you're using it well do add some dimension to your playing and this piece. I bet you would have sounded great without it, but it is nice to hear the whole band!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Thanks for all the nice feedback!

Originally Posted by Monica K.
06. wouter79 – Andante con moto : Love the dark, slightly ominous key changes around the 1:50 mark. Good use of dynamic variation. I think your use of the pedal works well with this piece (admittedly, I am a huge fan of the pedal!).

Thanks for the positive feedback on the pedal and dynamics!

Originally Posted by AimeeO
06. wouter79 - Andante con moto, first part of Sechs Lieder ohne Worte Op. 19b 19 no 1 is one of my favorites, and I’m so very glad you didn’t speed through it! Your tempo choice was ideal, and it is a wonderful performance.

Good to hear the tempo was right and thanks for the compliments!

Originally Posted by casinitaly
06. wouter79 - Andante con moto, first part of Sechs Lieder ohne Worte Op. 19b I read your introduction with interest, and actually had to look up seufzer! This piece, I would describe as pure poetry. This type of music really brings out the beauty of your piano's voice and your dynamics bring out the drama and tension in the "story" as it unfolds. As always, I'm impressed with how far you've come in a relatively short time.

Glad that you appreciated my attempt at this piece and my introduction text!

Originally Posted by Allard

06. wouter79 - Andante con moto, first part of Sechs Lieder ohne Worte Op. 19b
You are playing many of my favourite classics for these recitals, Wouter. It's amazing how well you do with only four years experience.

Allard , thanks! Are you also going to play these?

Originally Posted by dynamobt
06. wouter79 - Andante con moto, first part of Sechs Lieder ohne Worte Op. 19
- The singing line is everything in this piece. And while I think you manage it in some places, I don’t hear it throughout. More pedal? More relaxation in your hand? Now granted, this is picking on some very high level details. But your playing indicates that you are ready to take the next step to even more beautiful playing. Still, very enjoyable to listen to.

Thanks dynamobt for your detail feedback on the melody line. Are you saying the melody line should be LOUDER? Maybe you can point out a few times where you are missing the melody? Is this maybe where Mendelssohn request pianissimo, eg at 2:23? Or is something not sounding ok with the melody line? With 'more pedal' you suggest to keep the pedal down a bit longer each time, or pressing it deeper? I don't know if louder would work as Mr. Super-Hunky already indicates some notes sound 'stabbing', so I guess I'm already slightly overdoing a few notes :-p

Originally Posted by peterws
I think you know a bit about playing and recording. This piece and how you handle it typifies why Mendellsohn is popular. Nice, nice! Loads of feel good . .

Thanks peter for your nice comment

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
51. Lady_Augustina
piece:The North Sea
technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R: ok
noise: White noise. strange brushing sound, like someone is sweeping with a brush in the corridor?
bass: the piece needs a much better bass than this piano can deliver
depth of field: ok
piano sound: fair, but lacking in the bass department

musical:
overall impression, like:
Nice job, I hear it starts with a silent sea and then the waves pick up and some clouds come in and we get some bad weather. After that some sune comes through. and the more 'normal' waves reappear. It keeps all flowing nicely.
I think the piano (or recording) lacks the bass to render the part after 1:35 and particularly 1:49. This severely tampers the storm I think to hear frown Also I would like to hear this with more dynamics. Take your time for the turn at 3:21 where the storm ends and sun comes out for the 2nd time. You make a nice slowdown there and then you suddenly seem to cut off the slowdown and the melody, to restart with the 'normal' waves pace. Also right before the storm picks up at 1:16 you insert a bit of slowdown. I find this a bit weird, is it's too short for a silence before the storm?
Phrasing: clear
rubato, speed changes: yes, but main fragments are fairly steady in speed. Maybe the parts where the sea is calm could take slightly slower speed?
Dynamics: yes I can hear your dynamics. But I would like to hear more, particularly in the stormy part. Lacking bass might be the main cause for this.
articulation: pedal per measure.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CMohr

[b]35. TrapperJohn - Medley: Drink With Me/Do You Hear The People Sing? (from Les Miserables)
I just love your choices for the recitals. I've seen both versions of Les Miz - I agree - stage version much better than the movie. Wise decision to put these two songs together and show us two differing, but equally poignant emotions through your playing. "Drink with Me.."leads so well into the goose-bumply "Do You Hear....". Nice touch on the total package. I love how you gave each their due emotion. A heartfelt and rousing performance!

And a heartfelt and rousing thanks to you CMohr - it is clear that you "get it" - and it is obvious that your taste in music (and musical performance) is impeccable laugh

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Oops!!!

With my cutting and pasting from the file in which I write my comments, inadvertently missed adding some to this thread!
(Thank you to the little bird who called this to my attention!)

Here you go!

32. Allan W. - Wind Scene - Chrono Trigger I am always surprised by the sophistication and elegance of game music. This is a beautiful piece of music, and you have performed it gracefully.

33. CMohr - "You've Changed" Your own arrangement! Very nifty. That's beyond me at this point (and maybe always will be) I am full of admiration for those who are able to do it. I enjoyed this music, which was totally new to me. Nicely done indeed, and in one take!

34. stumbler - A Lenda Do Caboclo W166 I have some Villa Lobos music but at the moment it is a tad too difficult for me to play! I enjoyed hearing your performance of this piece. I wonder what the story is....I have a Brazilian friend maybe she can tell me ! Nice work with the dynamics in this piece, very enjoyable.

35. TrapperJohn - Medley: Drink With Me/Do You Hear The People Sing? (from Les Miserables) TJ, the theme continues! As always, I enjoy reading the background info that sets the stage for your pieces - and the lyrics. You've certainly captured the moods of these two pieces - you can feel the poetry, bittersweet sentiments, longing, sorrow. The martial aspect of the second piece starts out sounding sad, and works up to a joyous song of determination and solidarity. It seems to me that the music from Les Mis has really caught you in its grips, these last two recitals I've heard a different quality to your playing, it has become richer, fuller, bolder, without losing any of the delicate touches we've heard in your earlier performances. I thoroughly enjoyed this performance. Thank you! Complimenti!

36. timmyab - Sonata in C K545 Well, we all know Mozart could be pretty insulting, but I am not sure he would be nasty over this! I never remember the K numbers, but as soon as I heard the first notes I realized that I do know this music ! smile I loved listening to your fingers flying over the notes! This was a truly splendid cheery treat to enjoy in the early morning to start my day! You make it sound easy- and we all know it isn't! Bravissimo!!!

37. Monica K. - Discovery at Night Our first Einaudi smile This does indeed have a different sound to it than other pieces of his I've heard. I liked the contrast between the lighter parts and the very intense bass. I enjoyed this new "flavour" - played with all the sensitivity to nuance we've come to expect from you!

38. JimF - Canon in D Minor So glad you decided to join us Jim! Having heard about this piece for a while I was very curious to have a listen. I haven't heard a great deal from this composer, but I very much enjoyed this -- Your skills have really been growing over this past year - Bravo!

39. Sandy - Consolation What a beautiful piece. There is a lot of reverb on the recording which makes it seem a bit blurry, but does not mask the beauty of the piece. I can see why Mendelssohn is such a big favourite. Nicely played indeed!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission